Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Assume they will be a limited run - but how many units are targeted to be produced (worldwide/US).

Just curious to see how many will be made vs base / S / GT4 before we start getting into potentially turbo 4 models.

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Assume they will be a limited run - but how many units are targeted to be produced (worldwide/US).

Just curious to see how many will be made vs base / S / GT4 before we start getting into potentially turbo 4 models.
There is no limited run. PAG will make whatever sells. The only cars that are truly limited are RS cars. I don't think PAG releases those break downs. However, from their 2014 annual report, 23597 981 cars, all trim levels, were sold.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
+1 Unless the car has a little plate with a number on it (33/50 for a 50th Anniversary Club Coupe for example) it's not a limited run. Motorsport cars end up being somewhat limited because the guys in Zuffenhausen get tired, or bored, or find something new to build. So the GT4 will fall into this latter category, but no GTS in modern times has been a limited run car. There's nothing special about a Cayman GTS, trust me...

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
Maybe it is because I have a CGTS, but the car, to me, is way better than the simple sum of its parts. The chassis tuning -- yes there are different sway bars, etc. along with the X73 suspension makes the GTS a fine car.
As far as GTS vs S, I'm not sure we've ever found out the true take rate. But, look at the Panorama classified.. the number of GTS Caymans that are for sale are consistently low -- this month, zero. that compared to multiple base and S models and still GT4's showing up for sale. So, regardless of the number of GTS's sold, they are not showing up with frequency on the resale market.
For validation, I checked Autotrader -- there were almost double the number GT4's listed as GTS trim and another 5 pages of S and base models. So, GTS owners are keeping their cars, relatively more than GT4 and way more than S/base trim levels. Just sayin..
D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Part of the relative rareness of GTS models is because it's always introduced late in a product cycle. Whereas the base and S models have usually been selling for 2-3 model years by that point. The GTS versions of Porsches usually only have a 1-3 year new model sell cycle before a new style comes out. See the 718 now with no GTS model available yet. Add to that the fact that the GTS-included-options means that the GTS is pushing the price of a base 911 and you get fewer buyers too (I'm not judging either way, I'll take either).

As for the plethora of GT4s available right now, it's a product of timing. Lots of people are trying to cash in on the GT4 high resale price craze right now—and many of these original GT4 owners aren't "cayman people," but high rollers that are on the preferred purchase list and they have to keep buying each one, whether they really want it or not, in order to stay on the list for the next big thing that they might actually want. Those folks are now able to get rid of those GT4s without issue (there's usually a 6-12 month moratorium on resale in these cases) after having some fun with them for a bit.

·
Registered
325 Posts
This topic came up in another thread, and I'll re-post what I shared there in May 2016 (feel free to draw your own conclusions, or add to my old data now that almost another year has passed):

OK, I'll take a stab at this (for U.S. cars only). I looked at empirical data for all 2015 and 2016 Boxsters (new, used, CPO) listed on Autotrader, Cars.com, and Cargurus and discovered the following information:

• 10-15% of all 2015 Boxster listings were for GTS models (depending on which classified website you were looking at, but remember the same cars are often listed on all 3 sites, so I focused on the relative proportion of GTS trim models vs. other Boxster models, not absolute totals which would include many duplicates).
  • 13-21% of all 2016 Boxster listings were GTS models.
  • 17-26% of all 2016 Boxster listings were Spyder models.

• If 3102 Boxsters were sold in the U.S. in 2015, then a range of 330-465 units were likely GTS models.
  • If 909 Boxsters were sold in the U.S. in 2016 (YTD), then a range of 118-191 units were likely GTS models, and a range of 155-236 were likely Sypders.

• 12-19% of all 2015 Cayman listings were GTS models.
  • 7-13% of all 2016 Cayman listings were GTS models.
  • 8-22% of all 2016 Cayman listings were GT4 models.

• If 3561 Caymans were sold in the U.S. in 2015, then a range of 427-499 units were likely GTS models.
  • If 1258 Caymans were sold in the U.S. in 2016 (YTD), then a range of 88-164 units were likely GTS models, and a range of 101-277 were likely GT4s.

Just looking at the (admittedly anecdotal and not scientific) data, I think it's reasonably safe to assume that Sypder and GT4 sales exceeded their respective GTS counterparts (Boxster and Cayman) in the same years they were offered together, at least in the U.S. (worldwide, who knows). [Unless of course the current market inventory of (especially pre-owned) listings has no correlation with production numbers, because maybe owners of certain models are holding on to their cars longer, skewing the data by artificially reducing the total number of (pre-owned) listings.] As for total production figures (2015+2016 GTS vs. 2016 GT4+Spyders), it's probably premature to claim one more popular than the other but one could extrapolate the existing YTD data to arrive at projected total production figures (but it would still be speculation with several margins for error).

Also, if Porsche is on record that they expect(ed) the GTS take-rate to be around 15%, I wouldn't doubt them. They have all the marketing data and model breakdown information to make the most accurate estimate.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Whatever the actual number, my dealer told me last year that they sold more GT4s than GTSs, 4 vs. 2, including mine. I see them come up for sale every once in a while and the prices are comparatively high. I'm completely happy with mine, intend to keep it for years.

OFF TOPIC: it's actually TOO nice. I got myself a 10 year old Boxster S for a track car so i don't worry about screwing up my CGTS. The 981 looks so much better than the 987 (IMO) that the used prices for the 987 are waaay low. I picked mine up for 22.5K with 47,000 miles. It kind of blows me away that you can pick up a mid-engined 295 HP perfectly balanced car for the price of a slightly used Miata. Driving the 987 also makes me appreciate just how good the chassis was going back, the 981 really isn't that much of an improvement if you look at the pure feel/engine/braking parts of it.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Whatever the actual number, my dealer told me last year that they sold more GT4s than GTSs, 4 vs. 2, including mine. I see them come up for sale every once in a while and the prices are comparatively high. I'm completely happy with mine, intend to keep it for years.
I asked a local dealer here in BC if they had any stats available on the number of 2016 Cayman GTS's delivered in Canada. As I suspected it's way less than the number of GT4's. For model year 2016 there were 92 Cayman GTS's produced for Canada and 292 GT4's. So, for Canadians at least, our '16 GTS cars are considerably more scarce than GT4's. Might be a similar story in the USA.

Lots of GT4's on the used market here, but seldom see a GTS. I too plan to keep my GTS for years.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I asked a local dealer here in BC if they had any stats available on the number of 2016 Cayman GTS's delivered in Canada. As I suspected it's way less than the number of GT4's. For model year 2016 there were 92 Cayman GTS's produced for Canada and 292 GT4's. So, for Canadians at least, our '16 GTS cars are considerably more scarce than GT4's. Might be a similar story in the USA.

Lots of GT4's on the used market here, but seldom see a GTS. I too plan to keep my GTS for years.
According to Good Car Bad Car (who compile sales stats from Porsche news releases) total 2016 Cayman sales in 2016 were 345. Porsche Cayman Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR GT4s representing around 90 percent of All 2016 Cayman sales in Canada looks to be wildly inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
According to Good Car Bad Car (who compile sales stats from Porsche news releases) total 2016 Cayman sales in 2016 were 345. Porsche Cayman Sales Figures - GOOD CAR BAD CAR GT4s representing around 90 percent of All 2016 Cayman sales in Canada looks to be wildly inaccurate.
Yep something doesn't add up right. The numbers I was told add up to 384 for just the GTS and GT4 models, not accounting for base or S deliveries. So if the 345 total deliveries number in Good Car Bad Car's charts is correct, then I suspect at least one of the numbers I was told is incorrect.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
I have expressed interest in acquiring a 981 Boxster Sypder if a used one ever shows up at my local dealer, and the new Car Sales Manager advised that with only 37 allocated to Canada, they will be almost as rare as my 2012 CS (24 sold in Canada). I can't recall whether back in 2016 he said they got 4 or 7 GT4 allocations. At 294 GT4s that would be about 21 allocations for every dealer (14 dealers in Canada), which clearly didn't happen.

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
Over here on the island I think they sold 8-10 GT4's and maybe 3 Spyder's, not sure about the Cayman GTS but they didn't sell many Boxster GTS's either in 2016...

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
According to Good Car Bad Car (who compile sales stats from Porsche news releases) total 2016 Cayman sales in 2016 were 345.
That figure has to be wrong. Maybe just GTSs, or GT4s. But all Caymans? I say no way. That's an average of less than 2 Caymans per (190+) dealership. Doesn't sound right to me.

·
Registered
3,109 Posts
That figure has to be wrong. Maybe just GTSs, or GT4s. But all Caymans? I say no way. That's an average of less than 2 Caymans per (190+) dealership. Doesn't sound right to me.
The 345 number was sales in Canada only. There are only 14 Porsche dealers in Canada. So 345/14 is about 24 per dealer. Some of the larger ones (Vancouver, Toronto) would have sold more while some of the smaller ones (Saskatchewan, Manitoba etc.) would have sold less.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts