Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[h=2]I was detailing the interior of the Boxster yesterday and I see there are two speakers grilles in the carpeted vertical surface behind the seats. No sound comes out of them. Also, there are speakers in the dashtop, one of which is ahead of the instrument panel. Hmmm, how to adjust? I got out the owners manual and, as thick as it is, almost no mention of the radio. Packing in wil the manual is a fold-out card with a little on the radio control. So I sat in the car and fiddled with the display panel and the various knobs/buttons for a while, and never found what in a 1970's radio would be a "fader" selection. I did find "balance" which I presume is left/right. As I ordered a most basic Boxster, no upgrades in electronics of any kind, it occurs to me that the grilles have nothing behind them, thus no adjustment. Is it known how many speakers a Luddite Edition Boxster comes with? And if there are indeed speakers back there, how to adjust them?[/h]

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Now I'll check with the dealer.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Why? Turn on your radio, stick a finger in one ear and put the other ear against the grill. You'll find out right away if there is sound coming from the grill, if there are speakers in there. If that isn't satisfactory I remember seeing a post on here showing how to remove those grills for a visual inspection.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Depends what sound package you get. In a Boxster there are no speakers behind the seats, only if you have Bose or the Burmester sound packages.

On a Cayman however there are rear speakers in Sound Package Plus, Bose, and Burmester, but not the base sound package.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have the same deal, base electronics, no rear speakers, but there is a grill. I hope to upgrade one day and add rear speakers along with door speaker replacement. As you know, with the top down the radio is almost useless at speed. Thinking the rear speakers will help, although wiring them may be a challenge.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I've heard that the Burmester is quite capable of playing sound that can be heard with the top down. But I have no personal experience with that. At least not yet.

·
Noob
857 Posts
I have burmester and I can crank it up while driving on the highway with PSE as well as windows down. But the bass may also rattle other things in the car like the door panels.

·
Premium Member
757 Posts
I have burmester and I can crank it up while driving on the highway with PSE as well as windows down. But the bass may also rattle other things in the car like the door panels.
Sounds delightful. No pun intended.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depends what sound package you get. In a Boxster there are no speakers behind the seats, only if you have Bose or the Burmester sound packages.
That seems like what I expected, thanks.

Thinking the rear speakers will help, although wiring them may be a challenge.
I wouldn't mind upgrading speakers, adding rear ones, but only if plug-n-play. Somehow, I don't think this is a car where I want to get carried away with the diagonal cutters and ScotchLock connectors.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I've heard that the Burmester is quite capable of playing sound that can be heard with the top down. But I have no personal experience with that. At least not yet.
It can absolutely be heard at speed and it sounds great too. Does it sound like a concert at Carnegie Hall? Of course not. But it does sound really good all of the time. I am actually considering it for my Spyder because I was that happy with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts