Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my car used and a few things I have discovered are not as originally advertised. The write-up said the car came with option 423 20" Carrera S wheels. But when I look on ebay it seems like these are the 20" Cayman S wheels which weren't an option but of course some could always swap. My only interest is that I would like to buy a single extra wheel for the eventual flat (bearing in mind that I would put a front tire on it for short drives). From what I can tell online, the Carrera's are polished alloys and the Caymans are painted and mine appear to be painted making them the Cayman's. Without taking the wheel off, is there a way to tell? Thanks.
. Land vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle Car Wheel

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I bought my car used and a few things I have discovered are not as originally advertised. The write-up said the car came with option 423 20" Carrera S wheels. But when I look on ebay it seems like these are the 20" Cayman S wheels which weren't an option but of course some could always swap. My only interest is that I would like to buy a single extra wheel for the eventual flat (bearing in mind that I would put a front tire on it for short drives). From what I can tell online, the Carrera's are polished alloys and the Caymans are painted and mine appear to be painted making them the Cayman's. Without taking the wheel off, is there a way to tell? Thanks.
. View attachment 151538
They are Carrera S wheels for the Cayman. The Carrera S wheels for the 911 have an identical design, but are wider than Cayman wheels.

Cayman S wheels are 5 spoke and are 19"

·
Registered
897 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
There is also the 18" Cayman III wheel which looks very similar. The 423 option is in silver, but they could also be had in Satin Platinum. The Carrera S wheel has different offsets, as well as widths, for the 911.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the clarification. I don't plan on taking this car very far from where I live so I figured I could get away with calling home and having someone get me the extra wheel and jack and take back the flat and jack. This way I could avoid using the goop/inflator and get the wheel repaired easily. Might be overkill - I still need to decide.

·
Registered
645 Posts
For the possibility of a flat, I just carry a plug kit and a portable air compressor. I haven't had to use them yet, so I don't know how it will actually play out...

As a backup plan, I have AAA. :)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
For the possibility of a flat, I just carry a plug kit and a portable air compressor. I haven't had to use them yet, so I don't know how it will actually play out...
Same, but I am going to get a scissor jack as well. I am concerned that it could be very difficult to plug a tire without jacking up that corner.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.