Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gents,
Less than 1 week and only 562 miles and I already have a bunch of stone chips on the front bumper and hood.
This car is a magnet for stone chips.

I was considering getting the 3M clear bra in the spring, but now I may need to get it real soon.

My question is what do I do about the stone chips that is there now?
Should I just clear bra over it?
Or should I get the chips repaired and then clear bra?
Or should I just man up and accept it?

Bolo Yeung is sad.

:(

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I suggest manning up...spend an hour with a Dr. Colorchip kit to fix the big ones every six months, then get back on the road. There is a sizeable Bra Brigade here that thinks otherwise...some wouldn't think about taking the car out of the garage unless every surface is covered with plastic film.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Unfortunately these cars have really thin paint. I have a gauge and at the dealer I tested about 20+ porches, all models. The standard colors are .0035-.005" thick optional colors are thicker .007-.008'. I think the optional colors are sprayed off line . Ive also checked Audi.MB and BMW most are .004-.005". The dealer had a GLK 45 and some areas were .0031" Thats the same thickness as a human hair! That includes the base color,clear-coat and primer. Doesn't leave a lot of room for paint correction . carl

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just drive mine under the assumption that i will just get the hood and bumper resprayed when it gets too bad. IMO the clear bra is more unslightly than a few chips that most people wont notice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would deff clear bra. I got my car used had a few chips, and I got Xpel clear bra installed. I did the entire hood bumper and finders. You cannot tell the car is clear bra'ed at all. IMO it's defd worth doing and not worrying about chips.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all.

Well, I think I need to just MAN UP and enjoy the ride....
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
Man Up.jpeg

(I will respray in the spring and get the 3M clear bra)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Clear bra isn't unsightly if you completely cover the panel. I would've had a massive chunk taken out of my hood at about 300 miles in if I didn't have Xpel Ultimate (on, yes, a White car).

The problem with repair followed by clear bra is you may remove some of the paint repair work when you remove the bra. Consult with experienced installers as to what the correct course of action is if you want to install clear bra at this point. It is always cheaper to do it Day One than when after it has suffered damage.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would get a clear bra and fix the chips first (even if with just some touch up paint). I have always had a clear bra stalled with the first couple of weeks of ownership. I try to drive the car as little as possible but unfortunately just on the drive to get to the clear bra shop I often manage to get a chip or too. For my next car I will look into having it done at the dealership before I pick it up or finding someway to cover the car in transit to the clear bra shop.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Best video I know for fixing stone chips! I've done this and the results are great. took me about 5 days to complete it perfectly

·
Registered
358 Posts
Best video I know for fixing stone chips! I've done this and the results are great. took me about 5 days to complete it perfectly

I commend you for having the patience to do that. I didn't even have the patience to watch the whole video. That's why god made Dr. ColorChip for slackers like me.

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I have two major chips on the tip of the underside center radiator hole that was protected by a clear bra. Must have been a big hit as there are two holes blown through the bra. I intend to use touch up paint, but probably need to get the bra dealer to recover.

·
Registered
381 Posts
If the damage was already dealt , I would man up and later repaint the bumper when the bigger scratch or scrape are made. Bumper is for bumping, isnt it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got 2 small rock chips while driving from the dealership, right after I took delivery, to the clear bar shop :soapbox:. I drove for about 500 miles on my previous Porsche before getting clear bar, and not a single chip. Oh well....I just enjoy driving the car and not dwell on those minor details.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Both my side vents look like they were hit with a load of buckshot. This is the softest paint I've ever seen on any car I've ever owned. I use Dr. Colorchip which does help and, IMHO, is better than encapsulating the car in a plastic condom.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Nothing wrong with the paint...

Flying stones will chip any paint due to physics. They'll chip through film too.

Drive further away from cars and due to physics rocks can't fly that far. ride a motor cycle and you'll be surprised how much crap car tire fling back.

Chips will happen and nothing to worry about. You can't see them unless you are looking for them. Stand a car length away and see if you can see anything. If not, it doesn't exist.

i like my cars used and with imperfections so I stop caring and focus more on how they drive than how they look when I kneel over to apply wax.

·
Noob
857 Posts
I got a stone chip while driving back from the dealership. Had a bad mood that weekend. I don't mind stone chips, but hated getting one in the 1st 20-50 miles of the car.

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
Nothing wrong with the paint...

Flying stones will chip any paint due to physics. They'll chip through film too.
No, the 981 paint is very different from my previous sport cars. Much thinner and very prone to chipping. Like 4 times worse, if I try to quantize it.
I never thought felt the need for clear bra on my previous cars. They were fine for years and years. So I automatically didn't put bra on 981... and now regret it.

Reactions: BOFslime
1 - 20 of 60 Posts