Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Administrator
34,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings Members!

I am painfully aware that in the Planet-9 site transition to Xenforo software that the Articles and FAQ were lost. Technically not lost, they are archived in some backup somewhere, but not AVAILABLE to members here. As a proof of concept I copied a couple of my articles from the old P9 to my site www.caymanclub.net in an Articles section there, feel free to check them out. I investigated getting all articles moved over via some automated means, but this does not seem to be currently feasible for several reasons.

That leaves us with an alternative, to MANUALLY move the articles over to WordPress. In essence this requires someone to visit the Internet wayback machine and find a specific article then manually copy/paste text and adjust formatting, manually download/upload photos and again adjust formatting but when finished it will be a valid copy of the article that will be both searchable and easily accessible and in a format (WordPress) that is not going away any time soon.

There are over 400 articles. I do not have the time/bandwidth to manually move over that many articles myself. We need volunteers. Obviously the more who volunteer, the fewer articles everyone has to do and the less time it will take each individual. I propose the following Phases:

Phase 1: Announce intention here via this News item posting - done today

Phase 2: Create a step-by-step set of instructions for copying an article over from the wayback machine to the Cayman Club WordPress site. (Ken to do this! and post here) DONE - 9/26/20 - See Instructions Below!

Phase 3: Individuals here volunteer to assist (Individuals can volunteer NOW by replying to this topic thread)

Phase 4: Assign Articles/Sections to Volunteers

Phase 5: Do the Work

Phase 6: Assess and debrief, any follow on actions that come up.

Sincerely,
Ken / K-Man S

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can do some. How many all depends on the time per article. They have been very helpful to me over the years. They are a valuable resource that needs to be preserved.

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
694 Posts
Any other software engineers in the house? This area of software engineering isn't my specialty (I'm more in embedded applications), but I think we could automate this without a whole lot of effort. Just need to query the original article text, reformat it and repost it to the new site.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I would be happy to help. It is a lot of great information that is worth the effort to make available again.

·
Administrator
34,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok here is my attempt at creating a guide for all of you to get started with porting over Articles, if you note any missing steps please reply below.

Step 1: Sign up for an account on www.caymanclub.net it does not need to be a paying Member account, in fact I will flag your account as a Member account after you create it. Once you create your account please email me your username and email address that you used to create the account (can be the same as here on Planet-9 if you want) so that I can find your account and give you author access to the site so that you can create Posts/Articles. You can email me at webmaster at planet-9.com or send me a private message here, whatever works.

Step 2: Visit the Wayback machine and find the old Planet 9 Article Index, the URL is shown in this photo and an example URL is: Main Index - Articles this will let you figure out which category you want to work within. I don't care if each person chooses a specific category or if you choose to go alphabetical but please post here what you are deciding to work on just so that we don't get people duplicating efforts and copying the same article more than once.

Step 3: Visit the www.caymanclub.net site and click on Articles and you should see something like this: (I've since added a test article that I worked on for these instructions) At the top of the page you should have a black bar header if you are logged into the site and your header will have options (once I've set your account up as an editor from Step 1 above). Your choices will likely differ from mine since I am an admin, but you should have a + Plus sign that if you click on will have a drop down menu and you will want to choose New Post from that drop down menu.

Step 4: When you click on +New and choose Post from the drop down menu you will be taken to the Word Press default Post (Article) editor shown below. Familiarize yourself with the editor. You should NOT ever change anything below the main text entry box. You WILL need to make selections from the column on the right, most notably the Category selection and the Featured Image selection as well as you may choose to use the Preview button or Save Draft button and at some point you will need to use the Publish button to actually publish the article.

Step 5: Next you will need to visit an old article in the Wayback machine website so that you can copy it to the new editor and have it show up on the Cayman Club website. In my case I chose a Cayman Cosmetic Modification article about some JTEC tail lights. Sadly when we copy these over these article are going to show up under our own usernames on Cayman Club website because not all the same people have accounts on both. I try to give credit at the end of the article that the original author is XYZ person and maybe a link to their profile over on P9 in case someone wants to contact them. Notice that the Word Press editor we will be working in has a list of Categories that matches those found on the old Articles section of P9 with the exception that I have not created any for 911, Macan or Panamera articles because we had so few it didn't seem to make sense. When you look at the old article copy on the Wayback machine you will need to note the Category it is in, and the title of the Article because those we will be copying to the new editor to show up on the Cayman Club site.

As far as I can tell the thumbnail images at the top of the article were NOT saved by the Wayback machine in full size unless they also appeared in the BODY of the article. Some articles will have these thumbnails at the top others will not, but again we probably cannot do anything about it if they show up at the top and NOT in the body, those images may be lost forever unless someone can come up with a way to retrieve them. Scrolling down we get to the lower section of the old Article:

Here is where you will copy/paste the body text from the old article to the new article editor, as well as any images that are embedded inline in the article need to be saved to your local PC and then uploaded to the media library of the new site so they can be embedded in the new article. In the screen capture above I have right clicked on the image of the box and bubble wrap and chosen to save a copy of the image to my local computer. You will want to do this for any/all images you find in the body of the old article. There are some old articles that linked to images outside of Planet 9, for example in some photo hosting service. If the Wayback machine was able to grab them they will show up, otherwise you will get a broken image icon and again there is likely no way to get that image back short of contacting the original author to see if they still have it. I typically put in some text like "IMAGE MISSING HERE CONTACT ARTICLE AUTHOR" and then again put a link at the end of the article to the original author's profile on Planet 9 so anyone reading the article can try to contact that author. If you want to spend the time contacting the person and running down any missing photos, again feel free, but certainly not a requirement. Maybe after all articles are moved over we can spend time reaching out to people to try and fix any missing items.

Step 6: Copy the old Article to the new Word Press editor on CaymanClub.Net website. In the image below I have copied the first few paragraphs of text from the old Wayback machine article to the new editor. I simply highlighted the old text and selected copy, then click in the new editor and selected Paste. After doing so it sometimes inserts additional blank lines between paragraphs so I had to manually delete those extra lines so the article looks better. Note that I ONLY highlighted TEXT to copy and paste. What about the image of the box and bubble wrap? To add photos click on the Add Media button that I have highlighted in the following image.

Notice that over on the right column I have also selected Cayman Cosmetic Mods from the Category list and I have also filled in the title of the Article by copy pasting the title from the old site to the new editor. When you click on Add Media you will get a pop up window with some choices shown below:

By default the pop up window is showing you the media library, all of the files that have been uploaded to the site, although you can filter that in a variety of ways. You will want to choose the Upload Files link near the top that I have highlighted. When you select that link the view of the pop up box will change. You will be given the choice to drag and drop files (photos for example) to a box or simple click to select them from your computer. In my case I selected the 1 photo of the box and bubble wrap that I had previously downloaded from the Wayback machine site as depicted previously in these instructions. You can select multiple photos and they will all upload at once. In my case I selected only one and after it uploaded I am presented with the following pop up window:

Notice that the photo I uploaded is now shown in the Media Library and has a check mark over the top right corner. In the right hand column is information about the photo. My suggestion is that you look at the right hand column and scroll down to an area I didn't capture and from a couple of the selection boxes choose a medium size thumbnail (small is default) and have it link to the actual full size file in the media library. I forgot to do this before I clicked INSERT INTO POST, so I will show you how to "fix" this after the fact in case you forget. Please note that when you click INSERT INTO POST it will insert the photo wherever your cursor is in the article so make sure you have your cursor where you want your photo before you click Add media and Insert one.

In order to edit a photo you have already inserted (see how it inserted a small thumbnail by default) you click on the photo itself and you will get a pop up menu bar at the top of the photo. Click the Pencil to Edit the photo as shown where I have circled it in red above. You will then get the following pop up window to allow you to edit the photo:

From here you can make a lot of changes to your image file. The only 2 items I changed was to change Size to Medium and change Link to to Media File from the drop down choices available. Then I simply clicked Update and it updated the photo in the article itself. There may be situations where you want to add caption text or change alignment to match prior articles but I will leave that up to each person to experiment with on their own. Once I made the changes I clicked Update.

Looks like I can only attach 10 images so I will start a new post to continue this tutorial.

·
Administrator
34,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Step 7: Publishing the New Article
One Item I forgot to do while in the basic editor was to click on Featured Image and upload a Featured Image for the Article before I clicked Publish. That's OK as you can always add one after the fact and Re-Publish again. When I clicked Publish I got a little bit of a surprise, Word Press now takes me into the new Block Editor that allows you to manipulate the details of Post/Article blog style blocks on a page. There is a brief tutorial you can take, but it isn't really necessary as we won't be making any changes to blocks, just the Article itself. Here is what I was presented with:

This is where you should see your Article in a new block format. You can scroll down and make sure everything looks in order, it should, if not you can make edits to the text or images, just don't edit the block itself. In the right hand column you will have to expand the header that says Featured Image (if you didn't upload one in the prior base editor) and click Set Featured Image. Then either choose a featured image from the Media Library or upload a Featured Image like you would upload images to the Media Library for the body of the Article. A Featured Image is the one that appears on the Article page with a synopsis of the Article. In my case I chose an image of the tail light itself to represent the article since I thought that was much better than a box and bubble wrap or some wiring image, etc. If you everything is in order simply click the UPDATE button in the upper right hand corner and this will actually publish your article to the website. You will be given a link to go view your article and you can also simply click on Articles in the Navigation to go to the main Articles page and see your featured image and synopsis of your article. From this block editor you can make changes in the right hand column to items like Categories in case you forgot to check off the appropriate category. You can also set author but if you click the drop down you will see that you can only choose from those will access to publish on the site, you cannot type in the name of the original author from P9.

This should be everything you need to move an article over from the old P9 site via the Wayback machine to the CaymanClub.Net site's Articles section. If you have any questions just ask, otherwise please respond below with what section you plan to work on and go ahead and get started. TIA!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like to wrench my own. I'll start at the top with "service items".

·
Administrator
34,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK I finished up the JTEC tail light article and copied over one more article from the Cayman Cosmetic category. I have not seen anyone else copy over an article yet. Are people having problems or you simply have not tried yet? I have discovered the following:

1) If the article doesn't have images in the body of the article then the thumbnails at the top of the old article page aren't going to help you as the Wayback machine did NOT capture the full size images associated with those thumbnails. You can reach out to the original article author and see if they have them.

2) Some articles have links to other articles on the old P9 site. For the time being leave those old links there as placeholders that as articles are moved over to CaymanClub.Net that we can go back and update the placeholders with whatever the new article location link ends up being.

3) Some articles have links to the old Gallery and Articles sub section of the Gallery on the old P9 site. Wayback machine did not capture these and SADLY when Vertical Scope converted over the site software and Gallery images from the old P9 to the new P9 they did NOT copy over 99% of the photos in the Gallery, so I am guessing those are lost too for the time being, which doesn't hurt us as much as it simply doesn't help us as another potential source of photos.

Ok those who have set up accounts on www.caymanclub.net and emailed me I have gone and changed your permissions so that you should be able to create articles and have full access to the site. If you do not, PLEASE let me know so we can fix anything that needs fixing and so everyone can start copying over Articles. Any questions, just ask!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have not had time to try copying over an article yet, but I read through the instructions. My first thought is, why not turn these articles into Word docs/PDFs? I think it would save a few steps, be easier to format, and would be more future proof. I assume there is a place to upload PDF files on both sites. Any reason that this wouldn’t work?

·
Administrator
34,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not had time to try copying over an article yet, but I read through the instructions. My first thought is, why not turn these articles into Word docs/PDFs? I think it would save a few steps, be easier to format, and would be more future proof. I assume there is a place to upload PDF files on both sites. Any reason that this wouldn’t work?
That could be done although it would prevent the article text from being searchable. It would keep the images intact with the text assuming the PDF file was preserved long term. I would assume the time it takes to assemble a PDF and then upload the PDF with some sort of synopsis and cover photo would probably be as long or longer as simply copy and pasting the original text and photos.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ok, I published my first article. Leaking CV Boot - repack and clamp in the services category. I picked an easy one (no pictures in the original) to test everything out. Take a quick peek and make sure I did it to your liking!

·
Administrator
34,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, I published my first article. Leaking CV Boot - repack and clamp in the services category. I picked an easy one (no pictures in the original) to test everything out. Take a quick peek and make sure I did it to your liking!
That was a good first effort! The only thing I would ask is to try and find a picture of the CV Boot that is reasonably large so it can be used as the Featured Image and shows up at the top part of the article on the Articles page. The only other item would be where you refer to KS-CS that you put in a link to his account here by highlighting his name and inserting a link to his profile here. To get his profile info here just search for him and click on his name to go to his profile here then copy the link to his profile. Those are just minor items though, so overall good job and hopefully you can start doing some with photos next! :)

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Hi Everyone, finally managed to squeeze in some time to try one article - did the one on the clear side markers. constructive comments welcome.

The main issue I faced was the slow performance from wayback machine and trying get the original article to load.

btw how are we planning to link the p9 users to the article base in Caymanclub.net?

·
Administrator
34,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Everyone, finally managed to squeeze in some time to try one article - did the one on the clear side markers. constructive comments welcome.

The main issue I faced was the slow performance from wayback machine and trying get the original article to load.

btw how are we planning to link the p9 users to the article base in Caymanclub.net?
You can look at what I did in my articles with listing the name of the original author at the end of the article and inserting a link for the name back to this website and the member account on Planet-9, basically just search up their profile here and link to it so anyone reading the article on CaymanClub.Net can click on the author name at the end of the article and be taken to Planet 9 and shown their profile where they could send them a private message etc. in an attempt to contact the original author if necessary. (Just saw your article and looks like you did that so KUDOS for doing so!)

I do not think there is any way to put links here in the member profiles to their original articles hosted over on Planet-9 unless that member does it themselves. If there is a copy of the article in the Forum Articles section you could post a reply to the article in the forum with a link to the new article over on CaymanClub.Net ,that might help some. I've done that in a couple of threads about articles to try and help point people to the newly hosted version over on CaymanClub.net.

Still needs LOTS of help transferring over articles from the Wayback machine to CaymanClub.net for those who are willing!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts