·
Administrator
34,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
258 Posts
2017 Porsche 718 Cayman First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver

Interesting conclusion: "While we mourn the passing of the six-cylinder engine, we acknowledge that the regular 718 Cayman offers generous compensation with its extra performance; it feels like a more sizable upgrade than the new Cayman S does over its predecessor. While U.S. Cayman buyers have tended to presume that the S is better, with the majority previously going for either it or the GTS, the basic car now feels close enough on everything except on-track performance to make us doubt the value of the S’s $12,400 hit to the wallet. This feels like the smarter choice."

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
The first white 718 CS I've seen, oh my its a thing of beauty! also a sensible option to have the badge painted in black.

2017 Porsche 718 Cayman First Drive ? Review ? Car and Driver

Interesting conclusion: "While we mourn the passing of the six-cylinder engine, we acknowledge that the regular 718 Cayman offers generous compensation with its extra performance; it feels like a more sizable upgrade than the new Cayman S does over its predecessor. While U.S. Cayman buyers have tended to presume that the S is better, with the majority previously going for either it or the GTS, the basic car now feels close enough on everything except on-track performance to make us doubt the value of the S’s $12,400 hit to the wallet. This feels like the smarter choice."

·
Registered
105 Posts
This is an interesting quote from the article:

You might fairly wonder why Porsche is taking such dramatic measures and risking so much to improve fuel economy (and, make no mistake, it's all about fuel economy) in a $60,000 sports car that's already rated at 32 mpg on the highway. The answer hides in the weeds of Federal fuel economy regulations. New CAFE requirements make few exceptions for sports cars or luxury cars. They do, however, take into account a car's size. As in, smaller cars face a higher standard.

Low-volume sports cars don't cause too many headaches in massive companies like GM or Toyota, which sell millions of more efficient cars and crossovers. But Porsche is hitched to Volkswagen. Even before dieselgate, Volkswagen was selling too few Golfs, Jettas, and Passats in the United States to offset Porsche the way that, say, the Prius and Corolla offset the Lexus RCF. (And don't forget Audi, Bentley, and Lamborghini also contribute to VW's CAFE number). So, Porsche has to carry much of its own weight.

It's no wonder that when the EPA sought automakers' comments prior to passing the tougher new standards, Porsche responded—to an official regulatory document, no less—with a hissy fit:

"While we do not believe that it is the intent of EPA/DOT to make Porsche the world's most fuel efficient passenger car manufacturer or to punish Porsche, this is the consequence of the footprint-based concept."

·
Registered
737 Posts
This is an interesting quote from the article:
I like R&T but someone did not do their homework for that article. The downsizing was a) not at all about fuel economy, and b) Porsche doesn't give a **** about the joke that are CAFE regs. The only ones they really care about are the EU CO2 regs. It's not always about 'merica.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like R&T but someone did not do their homework for that article. The downsizing was a) not at all about fuel economy, and b) Porsche doesn't give a **** about the joke that are CAFE regs. The only ones they really care about are the EU CO2 regs. It's not always about 'merica.
Can you cite a source where Porsche has made a response indicating such?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
737 Posts
Can you cite a source where Porsche has made a response indicating such?
I can cite 2 (indirectly).

1) User ralarcon has quick access to the quote about the real reason for the switch to flat fours in the mid engined twins. Ask him. In a word: marketing.

2) Moderator extraordinaire chows4us can explain far better than I can the reason behind my comments on the EU regs vs the joke that is CAFE. Search his response on the matter. He'll be more than happy to tell you.

3) the way CAFE works is on fleet averages, and the 911 outsells the mid-engined cars by nearly a factor of two. So then why is the 911 still allowed (we're talking fuel economy regs now) to have a flat six while the far smaller selling (and therefore less likely to be lead to fines) mid engined cars forced to make do with 2 less cylinders?

4) Porsche likes to also say that a turbo flat six can't fit in the mid engined cars' engine bay, a comment long ago disproven by aftermarket companies...

1 - 20 of 479 Posts