Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
To me BBS one of the best; ATS junk that I wouldn't consider buying.
Based on post above Titian's are $2080 that's 400 less than TireRack's BBS $2500 prices. Apex are $1300-1500 a set or half BBS cost.
BBS is much cheaper here. I'm getting them from the AD at about $1.3K including freight from Germany.. BUT... sea freight so it'll take while lol. If Apex could get me on a set for the same price shipped, I'd be very open. Think it's a stretch though. That said, I believe the Apex is closer $1.7K and after shipping, its more than I'd like to spend.

The change of rims is an impulse thing as with most mods...

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
what size are you planning to get? 18 or 19?

you seem to be leaning to the BBS SR design... then go for it...
dont accept the second choice... you will still yearn for it later :)

oh if it matters, not all BBS models are made in europe now...some are made in the orient.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Sticking with 18s. Yeah.. some are in Japan from what I read. Maybe some other places as well. AD tells me he's indenting and shipping from Germany. Will check if its made in Germany when they arrive if its on the rim but I'm really not too fussed about it as long as process, materials and QA are in accordance with BBS standards. For all I know, my Cayman may not even be made in Stuttgart LOL...

·
Registered
155 Posts
To me BBS one of the best; ATS junk that I wouldn't consider buying.
Based on post above Titian's are $2080 that's 400 less than TireRack's BBS $2500 prices. Apex are $1300-1500 a set or half BBS cost.
I would like to know your reason(s) for considering ATS junk. I have no experience with them but hope to be enlightened in case I look for wheels in the future.
TIA

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm interested in the bbs-sr too, do you have any idea how they compare weight wise to the 5 spoke standard 18" wheels?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I'm interested in the bbs-sr too, do you have any idea how they compare weight wise to the 5 spoke standard 18" wheels?
The SR is unfortunately heavier than stock (by about 2 to 3 pounds) so if you're looking for track purpose, this is not it. I don't track and am looking at these purely from an aesthetics and price povs.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I believe BBS is the OEM wheel mfg or at least they use to be. Current wheels look exactly like OZ.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I am judging ATS strictly based on their appearance. To me they look cheaply made and finished. You can read how they are made and what they weight for additional info. Many times the cheaper junk weights a bunch like 25-30 lbs. per wheel vs. 18-20 for a more quality wheel
Looking thru TireRack's catalog I like the looks of OZ BBS ASA HRH (not in there) Enkei
Don't like MSW Platinum Asanti KMC LP Sparco (who sells everything and makes nothing) Method
I looked into ATS and the pictured wheel is probably a poor example of their product. They are a serious mfg. of wheels in Europe supplying the lower F series.
I'll change my opinion to I don't like the look of that particular ATS wheel

·
Registered
155 Posts
I am judging ATS strictly based on their appearance. To me they look cheaply made and finished. You can read how they are made and what they weight for additional info. Many times the cheaper junk weights a bunch like 25-30 lbs. per wheel vs. 18-20 for a more quality wheel
Looking thru TireRack's catalog I like the looks of OZ BBS ASA HRH (not in there) Enkei
Don't like MSW Platinum Asanti KMC LP Sparco (who sells everything and makes nothing) Method
I looked into ATS and the pictured wheel is probably a poor example of their product. They are a serious mfg. of wheels in Europe supplying the lower F series.
I'll change my opinion to I don't like the look of that particular ATS wheel
Thank you for the reply. So it's really aesthetics for you.
I'm not sure if wheel weight is a good indicator. Same density material and lighter wheel means less material. This could be a weaker wheel rather than a better wheel. I personally would prefer a few extra lbs if the wheel is more bulletproof.
MOO

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Maybe that's why I never bought BBS; that and the SR is the only afford one, low $300's other models are $1200 a wheel.
Construction has a lot to do with weight. It's harder to make a light wheel than a heavy wheel. Cast wheels can be to light but are also weaker. You need to see how they are made. You want un-sprung (wheel, tire, brakes) weight to be as low as possible. I'll buy them lighter and save the heavy ones for someone else.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Maybe that's why I never bought BBS; that and the SR is the only afford one, low $300's other models are $1200 a wheel.
Construction has a lot to do with weight. It's harder to make a light wheel than a heavy wheel. Cast wheels can be to light but are also weaker. You need to see how they are made. You want un-sprung (wheel, tire, brakes) weight to be as low as possible. I'll buy them lighter and save the heavy ones for someone else.
Yes, if they are forged you can bet that light weight is due to density and strength of what's there making extra material unnecessary - hopefully. If not forged, then it becomes more of a crap shoot I think.
MOO

21 - 40 of 40 Posts