Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

161 - 176 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
hiya hows things going on the swap ?any updates ? running yet ? done a track day ?thanks for sharing progress so far !
Hey, I appreciate your asking. Without going into detail, I've had a lot of things slowing me down over the last couple of years. I had really good "momentum" until then... The good news is that there's light at the end of the tunnel on that front, and I'll have quite a bit of time during the last three months of the year to get things done. The other good thing is that the downtime has given me time to reevaluate some of my plans, and I think I'll be able to come out with a better project. For way too long I was sweating out how to get inlet air into the back of the engine, whether to 1) keep the induction system completely inside the engine compartment (keeping the rear bulkhead intact), or 2) have air go into the hatch area, get filtered, and then straight forward into the engine compartment and the engine.The best solution was staring me in the face: while modifying the rear bulkhead so that it is taller to cover the V8 engine, also move the bulkhead back a bit further to allow the production Audi inlet elbow to fit. This keeps the entire induction system inside the engine compartment, and it will probably make the engine controls happier to see much the same inlet system as in the S6.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
For now I am thinking of how to design a multi-piece engine cover so that it will be easier to check oil and fill coolant, etc., but still look right and be quiet and structural (quietness still matters to me!). Until October I'll be mainly planning, and then dig into it. Of course I still have to get the exhaust and induction systems done, but I won't have the doubts in my mind that I did about my previous plans.

So 3bar, are you considering going down the same rabbit-hole?

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for replying, it is always to ponder and yes I am.............going down.......the ........rabbit hole
I have done a few engine swaps in Miatas, Lexus V8 with a supercharger, Ford Modular V8, Toyota V12 on itbs but being a mid-engine there are some specific challenges

the chassis is a 2007 987 Boxster S currently in a million pieces and with no OEM engine, I am trying to determine "remotely" what engine will fit, the BBD you have wasn't sold in our market but I am pretty sure that the bellhousing pattern cant be that different across the v8 generations so at the moment I am trying to understand which V8 or maybe V6 would bolt to the Boxster transmission, so I am doing lots of research on that - when did the Audi V8/V6 bellhousing bolt pattern change (if ever) which engines have the same bolt pattern as the bbd, and what variances are there on the Boxster transmission ?
the rest I can figure out failry easily, half of me wants to lean towards the 2.7V6 and fit a single turbo to it, the other half wants the instant torque of a 4.2V8.............
so any and all help would be good !
thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Although I didn't seriously consider turbos, one thing that concerns me on the 987 is where to put intercoolers. I don't think you could get enough airflow from the side (maybe). Otherwise you'd need to use a water-to-water intercooler plumbed to the front. Not impossible, but more cumbersome than I wanted to deal with. If you are working on a Boxster, I would be wary of being able to fit a DOHC V-type engine under a stowed roof. Having a Cayman, I could "simply" raise the top of the engine box by rebuilding it. Not so sure with a Boxster. And don't believe the pictures posted online with an Audi V8 fitting properly under the production engine box cover. With mine like that, the oil pan was practically on the ground! It probably stuck 2 inches below the floor pan. When level, my engine protrudes several inches above that top cover, and actually is about an inch above the floor pan level. (It's possible that the Boxster would have a taller engine box, but that seems beyond reason.)I would highly recommend getting a "dead" engine of the type you're considering to install, and trial fit it. It will probably save some headaches. But get one very close to the same vintage. I started worrying about some differences in bellhousing pattern that didn't exist with the engine I actually got.As for those bellhousing patterns, I don't know anything more than what I've seen in this project. Someone on Audizine or another forum might be of help. I have seen discussions about the various 987.1 transmissions. Can't remember where, but they're out there. Do you have the 6-speed? Every discussion I see has high praise for it.

·
Senior Porsche Financier
712 Posts
thanks for replying, it is always to ponder and yes I am.............going down.......the ........rabbit hole
I have done a few engine swaps in Miatas, Lexus V8 with a supercharger, Ford Modular V8, Toyota V12 on itbs but being a mid-engine there are some specific challenges

the chassis is a 2007 987 Boxster S currently in a million pieces and with no OEM engine, I am trying to determine "remotely" what engine will fit, the BBD you have wasn't sold in our market but I am pretty sure that the bellhousing pattern cant be that different across the v8 generations so at the moment I am trying to understand which V8 or maybe V6 would bolt to the Boxster transmission, so I am doing lots of research on that - when did the Audi V8/V6 bellhousing bolt pattern change (if ever) which engines have the same bolt pattern as the bbd, and what variances are there on the Boxster transmission ?
the rest I can figure out failry easily, half of me wants to lean towards the 2.7V6 and fit a single turbo to it, the other half wants the instant torque of a 4.2V8.............
so any and all help would be good !
thanks

As far as making the engine match the transmission, try G-box in Boulder, CO. They're a small, slightly crazy bunch with a lot of options.

When my 987.1 engine dies I'm going to attempt a swap of a tuned Subaru turbo flat-4.

-PM.

·
Registered
316 Posts
As far as making the engine match the transmission, try G-box in Boulder, CO. They're a small, slightly crazy bunch with a lot of options.

When my 987.1 engine dies I'm going to attempt a swap of a tuned Subaru turbo flat-4.

-PM.
A Subaru motor is just about the last thing I'd put in there... and we're a Subaru/Porsche shop!

Hindsight being what it is I wouldn't do the LS swap in my Cayman either now. The BNS V8 from a B7 RS4 is IMHO the perfect swap, 414bhp/317tq and it fits inside of the engine compartment :)

·
Senior Porsche Financier
712 Posts
What don't you like about the ej255 family? The Audi engine sounds good but I'm hoping for smaller and lighter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #168
A Subaru motor is just about the last thing I'd put in there... and we're a Subaru/Porsche shop!

Hindsight being what it is I wouldn't do the LS swap in my Cayman either now. The BNS V8 from a B7 RS4 is IMHO the perfect swap, 414bhp/317tq and it fits inside of the engine compartment :)
When you say it fits inside the engine compartment, do you mean lengthwise, or height-wise? I think it's about half an inch shorter than mine, so no problem. But I just can't see how it would fit under the original Porsche sheet metal. If so, I've really gone down the wrong track...

·
Registered
316 Posts
They have really bad oil control issues once you get on slicks and you're making power.. I tracked my 11 STI A LOT but it was only a Stg 2 motorwise and really needed a dry sump to be reliable. Check out the 818 forums for some indication of how poorly the EJ works in a real race car..

Don't get me wrong, I like EJs but I switched to the Cayman with an LS for a reason :D I'd much rather have a NA motor in my track car anyway. Which is funny because I may get a 718 for us to do some development on.. lol

What don't you like about the ej255 family? The Audi engine sounds good but I'm hoping for smaller and lighter.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lengthwise mostly. Modifying the top cover isn't a big deal but when you look at what I did to my Cayman to get an LS in there the BSN is like a dream.. :)

I haven't mocked a BSN up yet so I could be in for a surprise but a custom intake manifold with port injection should solve some of those height issues.

When you say it fits inside the engine compartment, do you mean lengthwise, or height-wise? I think it's about half an inch shorter than mine, so no problem. But I just can't see how it would fit under the original Porsche sheet metal. If so, I've really gone down the wrong track...

·
Senior Porsche Financier
712 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts ... I'll be looking at the ej for street use. And as far as oiling issues it can't be worse than the 987.1. if nothing else the EJ255 is much less expensive to play with.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Lengthwise mostly. Modifying the top cover isn't a big deal but when you look at what I did to my Cayman to get an LS in there the BSN is like a dream.. :)

I haven't mocked a BSN up yet so I could be in for a surprise but a custom intake manifold with port injection should solve some of those height issues.
That's what I was thinking. In a Cayman you can deal with any height issue with reasonable modifications, but I couldn't say the same for Boxsters. Maybe, but I wouldn't assume anything. I believe the BSN is a little shorter than the BBD, so that part might have been a bit easier for me, but the engine mounting and structure is easier with the BBD. Of course none of that means anything until I get back to it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Reviving this from the dead, OP, have you had any luck with the car?
Things are still pretty slow, but there are occasional small accomplishments. After owning up to needing a much taller cover over the engine to keep the stock Audi air ducts oriented right, I eventually took a hacksaw to the rear bulkhead so the air inlet elbow will clear it.

The main bulkhead will now run up the back (instead of the front) of the arched crossmember you see in the foreground, which will then be far enough back to clear the air duct. There will be sheet metal pieces welded to the back of the X-member that will angle up to the tops of the strut towers, replacing the cross-car structure that was cut out (you can see the cut-open end at the left end). A separate piece will bolt to it, between the strut towers.

I'm pretty sure I'll also need to put a torque strut between the bulkhead and the engine to restrict powertrain pitch from axle torque. Plenty to think about...

161 - 176 of 176 Posts