Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Rumours are getting stronger that the Mini-e-tron revealed in Detroit this week is a thinly disguised preview of the upcoming Audi R4 mid-engine sportscar. US blog InsideLine claim they have been told as much by sources within Audi.

The underpinnings of such a car would likely be shared across the Volkswagen group’s range, including its own Concept BlueSport and even the next generation Porsche Boxster and Cayman.

In regards to the Detroit showcar Audi e-tron, you would expect a lot of the concept to get lost in production, such as the aluminium carbon-fibre composite body, but an electric powered engine option could stay. Speculation also suggests that the snarling five-pot turbo from the Audi TT RS could find its way under the R4’s skin—yes please!..
AUSmotive.com » Mini-e-tron is R4-U2NV

The Audi R4 is one model that we’ve heard a lot about from European media outlets, but nothing has ever been confirmed by Audi itself. Last we heard anything about the R4 it was reported that the model will be based on the Volkswagen Concept BlueSport that was unveiled at the 2009 Detroit Auto Show

According to a new report by AutoExpress, the R4 will be the production version of the e-tron concept, which was revealed at the 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show last month. Audi’s American president, Johan de Nysschen, recently confirmed that the e-tron concept will enter production with prototypes to hit the roads within 24 months.
2010 Detroit: Audi e-tron 2-seater concept, first look at R4? - egmCarTech

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
Hot!
cancel cayman, order r4.....

Just kidding

·
Registered
186 Posts
Awesome! The world needs more small, mid-engine sports cars, and that one looks pretty damn good. I've always loved Audi's engines, design, and attention to detail, but the main thing that's always bugged me when driving them is the nose-heavy feel they all seem to have; this of course wouldn't leave me with any objections. Given the success (and awesomeness) of the R8, I think it's really smart that Audi is developing a more accessible mid-engine platform for enthusiast vehicles.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Big fan of Audi Design but seems like front engined car with short, high nose and accentuated bonnet lines- supposed to be mid engined. Awesome interior though. Really like the colour and wheels with spinners

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Now does the cancellation of the Magna contract and moving production of Boxster/Cayman to VW/Audi facilities start to make sense? :) Of course we are going to see a shared platform which raises the question how good will it be? The Cayenne is shared with the VW Touraeg and in some reviews the VW got better reviews than the Cayenne, neither seems to be holding their value well in the used market at the moment so that's probably a wash. The question will be how different will the VW/Audi/Porsche versions of the same car be and of course we can already hear the echoes of 911 bigots pointing to a Boxster/Cayman and saying 'That's just a VW X or Audi Y, not a "real" Porsche'. Of course I don't know what those same people will say when the 911 platform gets shared too... :) :)

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
Of course I don't know what those same people will say when the 911 platform gets shared too... :) :)
I hear that VW is going to platform share the new 911 with a resurrected VW Microbus. Going back to air-cooled to satisfy the real hard core lovers out there. Swing axles and all.;)

Maybe the Gen 1/2 Caymans will become collector items. Better stop driving mine now!:hilarious:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hot!
cancel cayman, order r4.....

Just kidding
My ride before the Cayman was an R8. LOVE my Cayman. But boy does the R4 look interesting...especially with the RS TT powerplant!

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
Awesome! The world needs more small, mid-engine sports cars, and that one looks pretty damn good. I've always loved Audi's engines, design, and attention to detail, but the main thing that's always bugged me when driving them is the nose-heavy feel they all seem to have; this of course wouldn't leave me with any objections. Given the success (and awesomeness) of the R8, I think it's really smart that Audi is developing a more accessible mid-engine platform for enthusiast vehicles.
The newer Audis are getting better. I've had 2 2.9tt A6's. They were both nose heavy. My '06 3.2 is a different chassis and is a lot more balanced. When the car pushes, I give it a small amount of gas and it pulls right in. It's a terrific car for 4 real adults and luggage. Perfect size for my business car. Not a thing cheap on this car although I don't have much extra equipment on it. Suroof and heated from seats. All else is base equipment. Mine was originally a dealer loaner car. I bought it with 10K on it and got extra warranty and a lower price as part of the deal.

Still, nothing else is a Cayman S!

·
Registered
506 Posts

Here is a comparison of the sizes of the R4, Cayman and R8. It shows how large and wide the R8 is (and how small and compact the R4). It makes sense to restrict weight by limiting size and to contain most of the mass between the axles with short overhangs.

The length is only 3930mm but the wheelbase is 2430 which is more than the Cayman and the same as the VW Bluesport. To me this indicates a future shared platform.

The only cars for the 911 to share a platform with would be the R8 and the Gallardo. That would probably mean a mid engined 8 for the 911. Could be an 8 scaled from the roadster 4 cylinder boxer or the Panamera V8 and 4w drivetrain

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Cockpit visability from the R8 and TT is really bad, and it looks like R4 suffers the same problem. Cayman cockpit visability is superior.
Cayman overhangs could be reduced which would make it better looking and reduce weight.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts

Here is a comparison of the sizes of the R4, Cayman and R8. It shows how large and wide the R8 is (and how small and compact the R4). It makes sense to restrict weight by limiting size and to contain most of the mass between the axles with short overhangs.
Nevermind how large/wide the R8 is... look at it next to the Cayman, they are almost the same size. I like the R4. Maybe I can convince my fiancee to sell her A3 and upgrade to R4.

·
Premium Member
3,552 Posts
I saw the detroit version of this car and it is even more striking in person than on a computer screen. As good looking as the cayman, if not more so.

The turbo five would be nice, but i'd prefer mine with their supercharged 6.

·
Hurricane Region PCA Historian
929 Posts
This, to me, is a very nice looking car!

Add in the possibility of the 5-cyl turbo (and quattro?) and I think Audi has a very nice TT replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Cockpit visability from the R8,, is really bad
Obviously you have never set in one. The visibility is far superior to the Cayman which has a much further extending nose. The visibility from the Cayman is excellent. I agree! And the R8 is even better. The driving position is further forward than in a Porsche and the R8 has a shorter nose. Sitting in an R8 cockpit is like seeing a huge IMAX screen in front of you. You feel like you are perched directing above the left front wheel, looking down at the whole road. It may be the best front view from any enclosed sportscar ever made. What in the world are you talking about? The rear view mirror or something? The R8 has a perfect camera for backing up and parking, if that is what worries you so much.
Geez

·
3,755 Posts
Obviously you have never set in one. The visibility is far superior to the Cayman which has a much further extending nose. The visibility from the Cayman is excellent. I agree! And the R8 is even better. The driving position is further forward than in a Porsche and the R8 has a shorter nose. Sitting in an R8 cockpit is like seeing a huge IMAX screen in front of you. You feel like you are perched directing above the left front wheel, looking down at the whole road. It may be the best front view from any enclosed sportscar ever made. What in the world are you talking about? The rear view mirror or something? The R8 has a perfect camera for backing up and parking, if that is what worries you so much.
Geez
Really? ok , maybe I need to test drive the R8 again for the hell of it to compare, its been a while. But the TT did suck big time... agree?

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Really? ok , maybe I need to test drive the R8 again for the hell of it to compare, its been a while. But the TT did suck big time... agree?
I did hate the TT that I tried 3 yrs ago. I felt like I was sitting deep in a high sided bathtub trying to peer up over the top just to see the road. And I am 6'1"! The worlds of the R8 and the TT are entirely different.
:cheers:

·
3,755 Posts
I did hate the TT that I tried 3 yrs ago. I felt like I was sitting deep in a high sided bathtub trying to peer up over the top just to see the road. And I am 6'1"! The worlds of the R8 and the TT are entirely different.
:cheers:
Yup 100% agree with that. I felt really closed in.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Audi will have to improve on the interior for me to take it seriously.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Are you serious? Audi interiors are widely considered some of the best in the industry.

The car that was shown was a prototype only; things like audio systems and creature comforts come later.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts