Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just had my 2008 Cayman for over 2 weeks. It's last brand new 2008 on the lot. I know that the car auto locks itself if you unlock it and don't open the door. I thought that after I turn off the engine and walk away, it would auto lock after a while too. Also, if I unlock the car but open only the trunk, the car unlocks itself after a while too? Is that true or am I imagining things? I could swear that those things happened but when I call the service dept, the rep told me 2008 Cayman doesn't have those features.

I also asked him about setting the car to auto lock after I start the car and he told me that it costs $90 CDN plus tax. From hearing all the people talking about getting the dealers to make all these adjustments, I thought it would be covered by the warranty and is free.

Thanks.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
the info i got from a search advised one to have everything done at the dealer the day you get the car or they will/can/may charge you the next day for anything

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
The dealer can program various options, but here is how mine works:

Hi all,
I know that the car auto locks itself if you unlock it and don't open the door.
This is correct.
I thought that after I turn off the engine and walk away, it would auto lock after a while too.
Nope, it won't.

Also, if I unlock the car but open only the trunk, the car unlocks itself after a while too? Is that true or am I imagining things?
If the car is locked and you open the front trunk (boot) or rear hatch with the remote, then the doors should also unlock. If you do not open the doors then they should re-lock a while after you close the hood or hatch.

I could swear that those things happened but when I call the service dept, the rep told me 2008 Cayman doesn't have those features.
Huh?
I also asked him about setting the car to auto lock after I start the car and he told me that it costs $90 CDN plus tax. From hearing all the people talking about getting the dealers to make all these adjustments, I thought it would be covered by the warranty and is free.

Thanks.
Automatic locking can be programmed in various ways, upon switching on the ignition, at a speed of 5-10 km/h, not at all (the way mine is). Whether the dealer will re-program it for free or not is a different issue. Not really a warranty issue because it ain't broke, it just isn't operating in the mode you would like it to. Maybe if you need some other service performed they could throw in the re-programming for free?

I'm assuming you don't have the 'sport chrono package plus', because then, "the PCM can be used to activate automatic door locking", per the manual.

Cheers,
Chuck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I don't have the chrono package. I just checked and you are correct. If I unlock the door and just open the truck but not the doors, the car auto relock after a while. Guess that must've been what happened before but I thought that it relocked itself after I turned off the engine and walked away which is what my G35 coupe did. It's too bad coz I really like that feature. I also like which I lock or unlock my G, the horn sounds. I was assure that I had actually press the fob hard enough. Too bad with the Cayman, it had to be a special program work around. :(

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Yeah, I don't have the chrono package. I just checked and you are correct. If I unlock the door and just open the truck but not the doors, the car auto relock after a while.
Yeah, this is normal, and the delay can be re-programmed (4-120 seconds per the manual). The manual also says the car can be re-programmed so that the doors stay locked if you open the luggage compartment. One difference I noticed is that if you lock the car (with button 1 on the key remote) the lights blink twice fast, and if the car locks itself the lights blink once, a longer blink.
Guess that must've been what happened before but I thought that it relocked itself after I turned off the engine and walked away which is what my G35 coupe did. It's too bad coz I really like that feature.
Mine doesn't lock itself, and I don't think it can be changed to do so, but maybe it can.
I also like which I lock or unlock my G, the horn sounds. I was assure that I had actually press the fob hard enough. Too bad with the Cayman, it had to be a special program work around. :(

Thanks all.
On the other hand I'm glad the horn doesn't honk, I would find it kind of annoying. I can see the advantage of having the horn confirming that you locked up the car, it just isn't my preference.

I guess it is the same with any car, some features you love, some features not so much, some features leave you wondering why the hell the engineers did it that way. Thankfully some things can be re-programmed, somebody should put together a definitive list so you could check off items on a menu and take it to the dealer.

Cheers,
Chuck

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do I need to get a Porsche mechanic to install this? I'm leasing. How easy is it to remove? Will the service tech catch this? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Do I need to get a Porsche mechanic to install this? I'm leasing. How easy is it to remove? Will the service tech catch this? Thanks.
It's very easy to install - although in full disclosure, Sven, the owner installed mine at Croctoberfst #1. The directions for install are good - if it looks beyond your skill, any good mechanic could do it. Just as easy, if not easier to remove... it has an "invisible" mode you can put it into when you take it in for service. I've taken mine in all the time without changing the mode, and the service people have never said a thing about it.

brad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts