Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Cayman S.....I stopped the car to back into a parking space. I stopped the car and in one motion put it in reverse just as the engine was doing it's auto off thing. So now I am in reverse and the car is off and I let off the brake and the engine doesn't come back on. I put it in park and started the car with the key and proceeded to park. Is this the way it is supposed to work or did I maybe just get a little nervous and not let the car do it's thing......there was some traffic and I honestly cannot remember exactly what I did with the brake before shifting to park and hitting the key.
Also.....one time while starting the car....I turned the key and the engine turned over normally....but I let off the key and the starter kept turning the engine over for an extra 1-2 seconds before it started.....it was long enough for my 14 year old son to ask me if I broke the car......but then it started and ran just fine. I was weird for the starter to keep turning over the engine after I let off the key.....any thoughts.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure what happened with the stop/start.

But I'm pretty sure the engine continuing to turn over after you'd released to key is normal. As I don't have my Cayman yet I could be wrong.

However, on my SLK, once you've turned the key and the engine is cranking, releasing the key has no effect ie the engine continues to turn until it starts. You'd have to turn the key back to the start position to stop the cranking.

You could just try it again and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The auto stop/start feature is a different than 'turning the car off and on.' When it is auto stopped, everything is engaged ready to be quickly start back. When the car is parked and you crank it, its doing a 'full real start.' What happens is the car will auto 'complete stop' when it is shifted in P and you have to manually 'full start' it. Haven't tested in R gear, but maybe its the same. I think it you have no lights or obvious problems, everything is fine.

I've had quirky things happen with auto-stop/start enough for me to always be mindful it may turn on at any min if the car stops...even if I don't want it too. Thankfully, you can disable this feature. Overall, its really hard to predict and the gas saving is probably very minor...worse part is it will only stay off a long time is when its hot outside and the AC is off.

·
Registered
911 Posts
While I haven't tried it with my MT 981, the manual indicates that Auto Stop-Start is not operative in Reverse for the PDK. Also, the system is defeated if one undoes the seatbelt - even if it is re-buckled prior to attempting to automatically re-start (embarrassing at a stoplight when briefly unbuckling the belt to remove a jacket on a hot day).

And my '07 BMW requires the briefest of button pushes to engage the starter - which remains engage until the motor starts, so I suspect this is now standard practice.

In other words, I suspect you can reassure your son that the car isn't broken!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts