Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2014 Cayman S.

Still getting to know it, but it seems as though regardless of whether the radio (satellie XM to be precise) is on or off when I turn the car off, the radio automatically comes on when I start the car.

Is ths normal? Is there a setting I can go to to change this feature?

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, but as you can see, I'm a newbie.:)

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,107 Posts
Hello all,

I recently purchased a 2014 Cayman S.

Still getting to know it, but it seems as though regardless of whether the radio (satellie XM to be precise) is on or off when I turn the car off, the radio automatically comes on when I start the car.

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this post, but as you can see, I'm a newbie.:)
Did you read the manual first?

·
Registered
537 Posts
It is normal, and it cannot be changed unless you turn the Infotainment unit off completely (by depressing the left round button and holding it until the unit turns off). Of course, when you turn the unit off you also turn off the rest of its features.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
For what it's worth, I believe the SmartTOP module has a feature to set the volume to mute when you start the car. It's meant as a workaround for just this issue.

I know there's not much value in a SmartTOP module on a Cayman... but you'd get this and the ability to control the windows with the remote. So it's not nothing. :)

If it even works, of course. No idea whether anyone's tried one on a Cayman yet.

·
Registered
773 Posts
It is normal, and it cannot be changed unless you turn the Infotainment unit off completely (by depressing the left round button and holding it until the unit turns off). Of course, when you turn the unit off you also turn off the rest of its features.
On my 2014 CS, the sound system is off when I power up the car.

·
Registered
537 Posts
That's interesting. Mine is always on. In fact, yours is the only comment I recall reading from an owner who says their radio is off when they start their car. Frankly, I'm envious!

This issue has been discussed in a few threads over the past year or two.

Reactions: Finally @ 57

·
Revhead
371 Posts
It sounds like you are not actually turning the system off, but are simply muting the audio, in which case, yes, it is normal for it to unmute again the next time you turn the car back on. As others have suggested, in order to actually turn the system OFF, you must press and hold the button for a couple of seconds, at which point the display will also turn off; if the display is still on, then it's merely muted.

I'm sure your intent was helpful, but your one-line reply just adds to the confusion because it seems to fly contrary to everyone else's experience. Or are you saying that if you turn the system fully off, then it stays off after a restart, which would match what everyone else is seeing?

·
Registered
734 Posts
This is the one feature I find most annoying with my CS. I looked all over the manual and there is no way to turn the stereo OFF while the PCM is on.

However, I found a loophole. If you turn the volume all the way to zero(not pressing the knob for mute), it will stay that way when you turn the car back on.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow kinda crazy, don't you think?

Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For what it's worth, I believe the SmartTOP module has a feature to set the volume to mute when you start the car. It's meant as a workaround for just this issue.

I know there's not much value in a SmartTOP module on a Cayman... but you'd get this and the ability to control the windows with the remote. So it's not nothing. :)

If it even works, of course. No idea whether anyone's tried one on a Cayman yet.
OK I will look into this, thanks.

I do try to remember to lower the radio, but it still can startle me when it comes on!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's interesting. Mine is always on. In fact, yours is the only comment I recall reading from an owner who says their radio is off when they start their car. Frankly, I'm envious!

That is very interesting.

On laptops there are settings that, say, automatically have the "NUM LOCK" button come on when you boot up the machine, but if u do some tinkering you can shut that feature off. I looked through various "menus" on the car's touch screen but couldn't find anything addressing this issue with the radio always coming on.

Thanks for responding!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is very interesting.

On laptops there are settings that, say, automatically have the "NUM LOCK" button come on when you boot up the machine, but if u do some tinkering you can shut that feature off. I looked through various "menus" on the car's touch screen but couldn't find anything addressing this issue with the radio always coming on.

Thanks for responding!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It sounds like you are not actually turning the system off, but are simply muting the audio, in which case, yes, it is normal for it to unmute again the next time you turn the car back on. As others have suggested, in order to actually turn the system OFF, you must press and hold the button for a couple of seconds, at which point the display will also turn off; if the display is still on, then it's merely muted.

I'm sure your intent was helpful, but your one-line reply just adds to the confusion because it seems to fly contrary to everyone else's experience. Or are you saying that if you turn the system fully off, then it stays off after a restart, which would match what everyone else is seeing?
Well I push the power button and the radio goes off before I turn the car off. But I will play around with it a little to see if holding it down longer helps me with this relaively minor issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This is the one feature I find most annoying with my CS. I looked all over the manual and there is no way to turn the stereo OFF while the PCM is on.

However, I found a loophole. If you turn the volume all the way to zero(not pressing the knob for mute), it will stay that way when you turn the car back on.
That might be a simple solution! Thanks for responding. It's a quirky feature, I think anyway.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have this incredulous misfeature on our other car too: Volvo xc70. Both cars remember radio volume, but not whether you muted them. Just seems like such a huge bug.

Smarttop solved it in the 981 BS.

·
Registered
773 Posts

do you turn it off before you turn the car off? I went and tested this after reading this thred, and sure enough it's off at start up

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
In nearly two years I've not once noticed or been been bothered by this. Hmmm, will have to pay attention next time i start the car.

Reactions: Mike R.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts