Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what is your preference. An automatic or manual transmission. I'm old school and prefer a manual, when I look for a car it has to have more pedals than doors. So what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
This topic has already been covered in many threads. Just do a search and you'll have lots and lots of perspectives on this issue.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts
Must admit, I never tire of reading other’s debates on this. I find some merit in almost all of those posts. Even those posts that complain about so much discussion!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
868 Posts
When I was Cayman shopping Tip cars were usually around $3k less than 6 speed cars. that made them tempting. Mr y problem is, I had no history with a Tip car. If it broke it was going to be expen$ive to fix. Manuals rarely break and a clutch is a repair I can deal with so I went with a 6 speed car. An auto could be fun to drive but I do like my manual. If I ever get another Porsche it will be a PDK. Possible best of both worlds.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
My first two Caymans were 6MT my last two have been PDK. Most of my previous cars (close to 50 by now) have been MT. What I particularly like about the PDK..........when I want to down shift and am in 'auto' I just hit the paddle and it downshifts. I can upshift again or if I forget it goes back to 'auto' without any intervention on my part. About as good as it gets for me.

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
More pedals than doors sounds about right!

·
Registered
189 Posts
how are the burnouts in PDK?
It's been over 20 years since I've done a burnout, and that was at the drag strip in the burnout box. I never even considered doing a burnout in a Porsche, Christ I must be OLD.

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
and if you drive in a lot of stop and go traffic...................in 2000 I bought a C5 Vette with an automatic. It was my daily driver from Cumming Ga to downtown Atlanta......every day. I got Popeye leg from clutch snick, clutch snick clutch snick..........in my GTI and decided the 'joy of shifting' was severely diminished with the soreness of the leg :).

·
Registered
504 Posts
I've been driving mainly manuals since the early 70's, so would be sad to see my shifting skills wasted by going to a PDK, but I'll probably opt for one on my next car. I drove a tiptronic once. I went to look at an early 70's 911 about an hour's drive away. When I sat down for a test drive I was shocked to see it was a tiptronic - guess I should have asked! I took the test drive, pretended to be interested, then bolted. It was not a pleasant experience.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
I have been driving manual's since the 70's also, I purchased a PDK last year really liked it at first, I thought if I really get bored with it I would go back to a true manual for my next Porsche, I love the PDK with normal shift mode Sport and Sport + it is like have 3 completely different driving cars , never thought I would like it so much, I could not give up the PDK, especially with the Sports Chrono.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Love my manual but if I had a daily commute in stop-n-go I'd get PDK. As these 987s become older and move to weekend duty from daily duty, I do wonder if there will be any PDK regret or perhaps lower resale value on PDKs.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Every vehicle I purchased for myself prior to the 981 was a manual. However, due to some medical issues, I went with PDK with my croc. The fact it blows away the manual was simply fortuitous. Yeah. Fortuitous. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts