Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2007 CS, and my tires are old and hard. 4 AutoX's and it appears they will last forever. Let's face it, my buddies are killing me on 'cheater tires'. So, what are good tires for AutoX. Not concerned about longevity, so treadwear 140 is ok; about the only time I drive the car lately is to/from/at AutoX. But, tire tech changes quickly and some tires work better on other cars and at better temps than others. I'll be at Marina Airport, so it's often cool with an ocean breeze, but can get hot. Tough call. Thoughts? Thanks for looking!

Edit: on 18" stock wheels, steel rotors.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Larry is using Michelin Pilot Sport Cups on 19 inch wheels I believe. Great tires but I dont think there are many options in 18 in that tire. In SS I used Yokohama AD08 R. I was able to beat Larry in SS with those tires. They stick very well to Marina surface and are a great street tire as well. They have good range of sizes in 18. Id say minimum of 245 up front and 275 rear. Also want the smallest diameter you can get in rear while maintaining decent tread width to help with tall 2nd gear and tight coursees we usually see out there.

Im debating on whether to go back to street tires as lack of slection in DOT R world is driving me nuts. I tried some awful BFG RS1s last event and they were just terrible. I would have been faster on streets. I Do like the Hankook DOTR Ventus TD Z221 in soft compound but they are impossible to find now. And they put me in same class as cars running much superior A6 hoosiers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for the input. I've had my eye on the AD08's but wanted to hear something positive. Stockers are 235-40-18 front / 265-40-18 rear. So, can I spoon the +1 (245/275) combo on the stock rims? I don't want another set of wheels (mostly storing them somewhere), but I suppose that's an option. Then again, those size aren't shown on tirerack for the AD08-Rs..

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks so much for the input. I've had my eye on the AD08's but wanted to hear something positive. Stockers are 235-40-18 front / 265-40-18 rear. So, can I spoon the +1 (245/275) combo on the stock rims? I don't want another set of wheels (mostly storing them somewhere), but I suppose that's an option. Then again, those size aren't shown on tirerack for the AD08-Rs..
You can run the 265/35/18 in the rear and 235/40/18 in the front. With no issue. With just one set staying with stock sizes is widths is probably best on narrower wheels. My car ran very well with stock widths on stock wheels.

the Hankook Ventus RS3 version 2 makes sizes that work too. Very fast tire. However I have never run them on my cayman so can't speak to road manners but no disputing capability of these tires in AX. One of the fastest around. And they are 200 tread wear which qualify for SCCA street classes.

803 Posts
As chief instructor for Philly Region SCCA AutoX I have seen many "200tw" tires come and go to retain the street tire classes. There are three big boys on the block right now that are taking the events by storm.

BFGoodrich G-Force Rival

Hankook RS3 Version 2

Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec

·
Registered
166 Posts
As chief instructor for Philly Region SCCA AutoX I have seen many "200tw" tires come and go to retain the street tire classes. There are three big boys on the block right now that are taking the events by storm.

BFGoodrich G-Force Rival

Hankook RS3 Version 2

Those are usual suspects. Yokohama AD08 R is right up there too. Just no longer legal in SCCA however PCA rules allow them. Marina venue is quite unique as it is a very cool smooth slab of cement that gets even cooler in summer months due to fog. Then we get blowing sand. Some tires pickup the sand worse than others. Certain tires are ok others are awful. The Yokohama compound is one of the best I have seen on this surface. The Dunlops ZII are good there as well - I like Yokos better though. Hankook RS3 ver 2 are doing decent too but havent used them. Havent seen BFG out there yet on cold slick surface. I'd be very careful in selection tire that has proven track record at Marina.

However all tires mentioned here are very close in capability and if youre not on one of them you will see an improvement.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts

BFGoodrich G-Force Rival

Hankook RS3 Version 2

FYI, There is one tyre that will leave these for dead, but you need to spend a lot of $$$$$$. Its not available in the US or EU.
Its like a double cheater!
Its got s much grip that on a few occasions I can just get the Cayman to lift one or two wheels around a corner. - that takes about 1.4-1.5Gs to do that. Such fun and hard to say in the seat with the regular seat belt. :hilarious:

I think they have something like 60 Wear Rating. Some maybe you go to open class, but then I also go against trailered race cars and still beat them. :hilarious:

·
Registered
810 Posts
All the info in this thread is obsolete; things have changed considerably in the last 30 days with the Rival S, RE71R and V720 coming out to join the ZII*. For a 987, you want a Bridgestone RE71R. Dunlop ZII* is really close in speed, maybe even a little faster if overtired on a camber challenged car due to the sidewall, and will last longer (what I'm running).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts