Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone triggered their CEL with the AWE exhaust alone and no other mods?

Had mine for a couple of months and the CEL came on two weeks ago (P4x1 - can't remember if the middle # is a 2 or a 3). Definitely 02 related. Resetting it does nothing it comes back on within a minute of driving.

Wasn't too bothered since I was planning on doing the GIAC tune, which I just did but the CEL is still there. Guess I just expected the tune to cover that by default but not the case.

Or maybe just a coincidence and 02 sensors just go bad from time to time?

Other than the Softronic approach (which may not be an option for me because of the GIAC but unsure how that all works) what other CEL solutions have worked?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Trouble codes: P431 (Warm up cat efficiency below threshold bank 2), P421 (Warm up cat efficiency below threshold bank 1)

In either case your problem is the front cats. Did you replace these with the AWE install ? or do a cat back install ??
As I think about it the warm up front cats are part of the headers.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just installed the AWE unit (a direct bolt on) with no mods to cats / headers.

Is it possible that a cat-back exhaust can damage the front cats, or do they tend to go bad for other reasons?

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've had zero issues with my AWE exhaust. It's the only mod I have and I've had it on for 5k miles or so.

It's probably just a coincidence and something that would have happened with the stock exhaust too.

·
On Probation
582 Posts
a good scan tool may let you run o2 tests...if thats the cel code i,ll add if it comes on right away it may be a hard code...check/look over your work....eg..pinched/cut/undone wiring

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
It is very unlikely that AWE exhaust had anything to do with the issue you are reporting. It is just a coincidence that either the O2 sensor(s) or cats have failed.

If you need new cats out of warranty you can find some in classifieds. Also FabSpeed and others sell after market header/cat setups.

I would just troubleshoot this issue as if you had stock exhaust on.

Tomasz

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Anyone triggered their CEL with the AWE exhaust alone and no other mods?

Had mine for a couple of months and the CEL came on two weeks ago (P4x1 - can't remember if the middle # is a 2 or a 3). Definitely 02 related. Resetting it does nothing it comes back on within a minute of driving.

Wasn't too bothered since I was planning on doing the GIAC tune, which I just did but the CEL is still there. Guess I just expected the tune to cover that by default but not the case.

Or maybe just a coincidence and 02 sensors just go bad from time to time?

Other than the Softronic approach (which may not be an option for me because of the GIAC but unsure how that all works) what other CEL solutions have worked?

Thanks in advance.
Cat-backs shouldn't affect the primary cats. Sounds like perfect timing for a catless header upgrade :)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
It appears the OP has an 09 CS. That would be a very early cat failure. I put an FVD cat-back on my 09 CS with no issues. Depending on the dealer you might get some grief if you leave the aftermarket exhaust on. However, as has been said, the cat-back exhaust should not affect the primary cats.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks.

Right, mine is an 09 DFI.

Got a great local dealer and they are replacing the sensors, only about 5k miles but looking forward to getting the car back tomorrow.

Will be back at the track on Saturday eager to see if the GIAC tune is tangible and lets hope the CEL stays put. Although it came on before tracking to begin with so hard to tell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts