Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking my car over and found the passenger CV axle was leaking around where the axle attaches to the transmission. A friend had a similar experience (green gunk) but in his case he said the shop tightened up a clamp. This doesn't look like a clamp problem. Hoping my SA agrees this is under warranty as mine runs out in a few days. I didn't check all the way around but it does not appear the boot is torn. Clearly the grease is being thrown up into the car as you can see a nice black/green line on the upper left. Any positive suggestions here? Thanks in advance.

IMG_3726.jpg

·
Registered
136 Posts
If the boot isn’t torn then it’s the clamp. The dealer may want to replace the axle as it’s less labor than to replace the clamp.

Right way to fix it is to remove the axle and with the axle on the bench remove both clamps, clean and repack the CV joint, then put the boot back on with 2 new clamps. Followed by putting the axle back in the car.

If the car wasn’t moved during the axle removal and replacement then the rear end alignment should be ok.

Even if the boot is torn the above process will work. But most dealers will default to replacing the axle assembly. From the amount of grease in the pictures it looks like this is pretty recent and there should still be a good amount of grease in the CV joint.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Common issue. I cleaned the area with brake cleaner and a clean rag, snipped off the old clamp on the side that was leaking, added a couple tsp of axle grease inside the boot (my guesstimate as to how much was lost) and put on a new clamp.

Reactions: Racer1735

·
Registered
136 Posts
Or you can do it ledbette’s way. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
34,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a final head's up here. Fremont Porsche replaced the bad axle. So just my gratitude to them for all their hard work.

·
Registered
136 Posts
(y)

·
Registered
593 Posts
Or you can do it ledbette’s way. :unsure:
Been holding strong for about a year and a half, including a few track weekends scattered in there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts