Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking my car over and found the passenger CV axle was leaking around where the axle attaches to the transmission. A friend had a similar experience (green gunk) but in his case he said the shop tightened up a clamp. This doesn't look like a clamp problem. Hoping my SA agrees this is under warranty as mine runs out in a few days. I didn't check all the way around but it does not appear the boot is torn. Clearly the grease is being thrown up into the car as you can see a nice black/green line on the upper left. Any positive suggestions here? Thanks in advance.

Auto part Automotive engine part Engine Transmission part Gear

· Registered
147 Posts
If the boot isn’t torn then it’s the clamp. The dealer may want to replace the axle as it’s less labor than to replace the clamp.

Right way to fix it is to remove the axle and with the axle on the bench remove both clamps, clean and repack the CV joint, then put the boot back on with 2 new clamps. Followed by putting the axle back in the car.

If the car wasn’t moved during the axle removal and replacement then the rear end alignment should be ok.

Even if the boot is torn the above process will work. But most dealers will default to replacing the axle assembly. From the amount of grease in the pictures it looks like this is pretty recent and there should still be a good amount of grease in the CV joint.

Reactions: ELCID86

· Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
958 Posts
Common issue. I cleaned the area with brake cleaner and a clean rag, snipped off the old clamp on the side that was leaking, added a couple tsp of axle grease inside the boot (my guesstimate as to how much was lost) and put on a new clamp.

· Registered
958 Posts
Or you can do it ledbette’s way. :unsure:
Been holding strong for about a year and a half, including a few track weekends scattered in there.

· Vendor
615 Posts
I was having a lot of problems with boots leaking and shredding at the track. At one test day I replace 3 boots (all the same driver's inner) and wound up calling it a day.. My Cayman does have a lot of power but I don't think there's any correlation between the power and boot issues. I tried OEM boots, OE replacements, etc.. What finally worked well, and cost a good bit less was a plunge style tripod open wheel boot from GKN. Been working all season without a problem :)

· Registered
1 Posts
Been holding strong for about a year and a half, including a few track weekends scattered in there.
Did you use OEM clamps? Is there a special tool required to re-install the clamps? My local indy shop mentioned I will need to replace the rear axles in the not-so-distant future. They said there is no way to rebuild the CV because they can't get the parts??? Anyway, mine looks much like the images from this thread. I don't see any tears in the boots. Seems like a waste to replace the entire axle.

· Registered
958 Posts
I also thought it was a waste to replace the whole axle. I figured if I start having problems, then I'll replace them. The grease was leaking out and I didn't see a way that enough contaminants would have gotten in to cause a problem.

Oeticker clamps. Oeticker part number is 16700072 69.5 mm (66.3 - 69.5 mm range). I bought the clamps on FCPeuro for 79 cents each. I just happened to have an order of other stuff for FCPeuro and I just threw them in. I'm guessing the axle is probably 68mm.

I picked the tool up on Amazon for $24 - Oetiker 14100396.

You can also buy variable size oeticker clamps on Amazon that will probably work just as well. There are a few kits that have a tool and some clamps that will probably work just fine.

· Registered
267 Posts
Ran into this problem recently as well.

I ordered “official” OEM parts (pn 99633295700) from a dealer website that wound up being Oetiker clamps with 70 stamped on them. The original part off the car was a very different locking style Oetiker unit, stamped 67.

The new clamp doesn’t quite squeeze down enough to keep you from being able to rotate the boot by hand on my Cayman S. I have the next size down (Oetiker 16700071) on order. Probably won’t drive the car until I can get that taken care of as I don’t want to have to order another tube of grease.

I would recommend sourcing both sizes of clamp to the next person along. Good luck all!

· Registered
958 Posts
Interesting. Mine wouldn't move at all when clamped. I cleaned the axle and inner boot lip with brake cleaner sprayed onto a rag to remove any grease residue before clamping.

· Registered
267 Posts
I probably got the bad end of stacked tolerances. When you put your clamp on, was it hanging loose before crimping? You could almost jam a #2 pencil through mine after clicking it closed. My understanding is these things are supposed to be somewhat snug before any tightening and the smaller ones took care of that for me.

I definitely didn’t get things as clean as I would have preferred with the axle installed in the car. I was unwilling to risk getting any degreaser inside the boot after I packed it full, so I settled for wiping the clamping surface with Lectramotive (didn’t have brakleen on hand), and wiping out what I could from the inside lip of the boot with a clean shop towel.

Did a 30 minute drive after installing the smaller clamp and there were no signs of grease leaking out, so seems ok. I’m going to start checking these things every time I’m under the car for an oil change. There was almost no grease in it by the time I got the problem taken care of this time.

· Registered
958 Posts
When you put your clamp on, was it hanging loose before crimping?
It was somewhat snug. Definitely not a pencil size gap. Glad to know you got it remedied.

· Registered
103 Posts
I was having a lot of problems with boots leaking and shredding at the track. At one test day I replace 3 boots (all the same driver's inner) and wound up calling it a day.. My Cayman does have a lot of power but I don't think there's any correlation between the power and boot issues. I tried OEM boots, OE replacements, etc.. What finally worked well, and cost a good bit less was a plunge style tripod open wheel boot from GKN. Been working all season without a problem :)
View attachment 271258
Where did you buy this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts