Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm narrowing down my exhaust decision, and I was wondering if anyone here is using the B&B set up for the Cayman.

I put a B&B on my E39 M5 and it's been producing amazing sounds for 10 years.

BTW, I've tried listening to various exhausts on YouTube and have found it to be a big waste of time. Most of the videos are done standing behind the car while some moron over-revs the hell out of it standing still. Since I hear my Cayman from the drivers seat, not standing behind the car, they aren't too useful. I'm interested in what I hear, not the general public.

Anyhoo if you have a B&B I like to hear your opinion.

Steve

·
Registered
96 Posts
B&b == apr

I'm pretty sure B&B makes the APR exhaust. You might search for APR usage. I seem to remember there are a few.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had the B&B exhaust and headers on my 2006 Cayman S for about 2 years. While it sounded great when you were driving hard, the drone got to be too much. Plus, I went through a few mufflers because the welds kept coming undone on the canisters. They replaced them without too much hassle, but...

I ended up selling the whole kit, went back to stock headers, and purchased a Cargraphic exhaust. Couldn't be happier.

Hope this helps.

Charles

·
I'm an excellent driver ....
1,628 Posts
I had a B&B catback. I sold it here in the classifieds and hopefully he will chime in too. I liked it a lot. Brand new it was incredibly loud inside, it took well over 2,000 miles to burn in. I never had any issues in regards to the built quality. I thought it sounded absolutely awesome.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I have a B&B exhaust on my 2007 S. I had it installed at 2000 miles and it now has 13k. For the first 1000 miles or so there was a noticeable and at time irritating drone. However, the sound is awesome and as time went on the drone became less noticeable. I get constant comments on the sound that it produces and I'm very pleased with the product. I've never had a problem of any sort and actually contacted them one time to discuss rebuffing the surface and they were willing to do it for free if I would pay the shipping. I thought that was a fair offer. Again, I'm very pleased, get lots of compliments and love the sound. Good luck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I also forgot to mention that because of the lack of secondary cats in the full system, I started to get CEL's. What was odd though, was that the CEL didn't come on for about a year, then they were frequent.

I can't comment on just the exhaust as I had mine installed as a whole unit, headers and exhaust.

Charles

·
Registered
502 Posts
I also forgot to mention that because of the lack of secondary cats in the full system, I started to get CEL's. What was odd though, was that the CEL didn't come on for about a year, then they were frequent.

I can't comment on just the exhaust as I had mine installed as a whole unit, headers and exhaust.

Charles
I doubt it was an issue of the secondary cats being deleted (as almost every aftermarket option has those deleted. It was more than likely an issue with the aftermarket cats.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It wasn't because of the aftermarket cats. I probably didn't explain it right. The tech at Porsche said it had something to do with the computer not reading the warming up of the cats correctly, at least that's what the code was.

I read a better explanation here a while back, but I can't remember exactly what it was. Had to do with where the sensor is placed in relation to the cats. And because this system is missing a set of cats, this placement is off.

·
Registered
502 Posts
It wasn't because of the aftermarket cats. I probably didn't explain it right. The tech at Porsche said it had something to do with the computer not reading the warming up of the cats correctly, at least that's what the code was.

I read a better explanation here a while back, but I can't remember exactly what it was. Had to do with where the sensor is placed in relation to the cats. And because this system is missing a set of cats, this placement is off.
As I said an issue with the aftermarket cats (failing or placement...still an issue). The stock system will have 4 cats, 2 attached off the header section and 2 attached to the rear portion. The sensor will read from the first set of cats. You can find over a hundred people on here alone with aftermarket cat backs that don't have a CEL issue from the install. You will find a higher percentage of people with aftermarket headers getting CELs popping up. It can be because of the cat failing, not heating up, etc.

Again, the second set of cats should not make a difference with CEL. Remus, Borla, AWE, fabspeed, etc all delete the secondary cats.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah, you're right. That's what I was trying to say. The B&B full system eliminates the primary cats, and keeps the secondary cats. I believe on their system the sensor misreads how the car is heating up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.