Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ChrisN and I (my brother) started our Cayman journey back in 2006 when Porsche wrapped a one year lease on a 2007 2.7 car into a deal for a 997 Turbo he was buying. I inherited that car and became hooked. I bought a 2008 S and then a 2012 Cayman R. In anticipation of the GT4 I accepted a generous offer for my R thinking I would be joy-less until the GT4 arrived. My brother convinced me to, instead, start a mini car club with him. First we bought a C7 Z06 when they were new and unknown. Next we added a 2017 NSX. As of this Monday we will have a third car.

A 2012 Cayman R.

Sport buckets. PDK. 5 point harnesses. Roll cage. Tarret suspension + JRZ, blah...blah...blah.

Set up nicely for the track.

We plan to add auxiliary PDK cooling. Maybe after we see if heat is an issue, but it's planned for already.

The beauty of this car is that it looks an sounds stock from 10 feet away. But it ain't. No power mods whatsoever. We don't need them or want them. We have high HP cars.

It feels good to be home, and yes...the Z06 and NSX are both amazing cars.

By the way, I think the 981 and 718 are a step in the wrong direction. (hehe)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hideous side markers!!!! ???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
. That's funny. I pointed to them and told the previous owner, "This is a hate crime, sir." Parts are on the way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"A 2012 Cayman R.

Sport buckets. PDK. 5 point harnesses. Roll cage. Tarret suspension + JRZ, blah...blah...blah.

We plan to add auxiliary PDK cooling. Maybe after we see if heat is an issue, but it's planned for already"

Could you expand on that "blah...blah...blah" please? I am moving my Cayman R from canyon carving to track use, and would like input on preferred track-focused modifications.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
"A 2012 Cayman R.

We plan to add auxiliary PDK cooling. Maybe after we see if heat is an issue, but it's planned for already"

Could you expand on that "blah...blah...blah" please? I am moving my Cayman R from canyon carving to track use, and would like input on preferred track-focused modifications.
Best bang for your track day buck:

1) driving instruction and practice (you always have to mention this)
2) more suspension adjustment so you can dial in more camber
3) stickier tires (once you are outdriving summer street tires)
4) something to firmly affix your body to the seats (harness & buckets)
5) something to attach the harness to (partial roll cage)
6) track focused brake pads (so you can impress your neighbors with squealing)

That's how this car is set up and, IMO, this is how you set up a Cayman R properly for HPDEs. It isn't a race car and you are not racing (this is the assumption. It doesn't have a fuel cell/full cage/fire suppression system etc., so you shouldn't feel "safer because you have a partial cage.

It doesn't need more power. A good driver can get these cars around a track very, very nicely. I have other much faster cars. The NSX and Z06 are in line with a 991 GT3 RS in terms of out of the box capability. It's more fun to beat a 991 GT3 RS in a Cayman, however. :)

I drove my first Cayman R for 3 years with no mods other than stickier tires and better pads and loved it. I went to stickier tires only after I could prove to myself that equivalent cars were holding a line without understeering where I could not. The benefit to dialing in more camber is two-fold. Car can get around a corner quicker and your tires will wear better on the track/worse on the street. Keep that in mind.

Others will have different opinions regarding how far to go with safety and power mods.

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nice car! enjoy in good health. how different is the R compared to your other 987 experience?
Based on my first R, I just remember it being slightly tighter and quicker compared to my 987.1 S. You could turn a 987.2 S into a car just as capable as an R with a few mods, save the lightness that was "added" to the R. Is that weight savings noticeable? Every time you pull that red door strap you think so. Lol. I did notice the presence of the factory LSD.

·
Registered
832 Posts
I might guess at why you feel the 718 Cayman moved in the wrong direction. But, I've owned both a 987 and a 981 CS and to me the 981 is better in every way. So why do you feel the 981 moved in the wrong direction?

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I might guess at why you feel the 718 Cayman moved in the wrong direction. But, I've owned both a 987 and a 981 CS and to me the 981 is better in every way. So why do you feel the 981 moved in the wrong direction?
My he had it in reverse? (Sorry)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.