Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got back last week from our fantasy vacation in Germany! Wow, what a trip! We flew into Stuttgart three weeks ago on Sunday. Sunday was a recovery day and we just walked around the town a bit. Monday we took a bus tour of Stuttgart. Tuesday we visited both the Mercedes Benz and Porsche museums.

Wednesday was the highlight of the trip when we took delivery of our new Boxster at the Porsche factory. They go first class all the way. Porsche puts you up in a 5 star hotel the night before and we took the train to the factory in the morning after a huge breakfast buffet. When they see a couple approaching the gate with luggage, they know why you are there and they have a chauffeur in a new Porsche Cayenne to take you to the visitor center. We sign a few papers and then we are off on an English speaking factory tour with two other couples to see how Porsches are made. Next we go to the delivery room and you get to see your car for the first time. A guide spends an hour going over every detail from the windshield wipers to the trunk opening. Driving the car out of the showroom was a bit nerve wracking, as you don't want to make a mistake and slam into all the other new cars there. We park it outside and then we are taken to the VIP dining room for a very nice lunch. By 2 we were done, loaded our luggage and we were off.

Out fist stop after a 2 hour drive was a 1000 year old castle overlooking the Rhine where we had a room reserved. We were in a creaky old room up 4 flights of very narrow steps, but it had a little balcony and great view. We left in the morning and drove to Cologne where we spent two nights. Saw the sights, especially the huge old cathedral with 533 steps up to the bell tower. Next was Aachen, and another cathedral and more sight-seeing.

We stayed Saturday night at Sabine Schmitz’s Long Horn Saloon near Nurburg. Sabine was behind the bar pouring beers. I told her we had a room reserved and she said “Great, do you want a beer?” Before that one was done another appeared, and then another. She then gave us our room key. Klaus, her racing partner, sponsors a German Handball team and they were having a party for the team. We spent the evening drinking and eating with the handball team, lots of fun.

Sunday morning I drove over to the Nurburgring race track which is open to the public on Sundays. One lap of Nurburgring is 12 miles long, and the German Formula 1 Grand Prix used to be held there, until the drivers said it was too dangerous. On Sunday “Tourist Day” the track becomes a toll road with a toll gate for each lap. There was everything from VW station wagons to Vipers and Porsche GT3’s out there. All I could think of was “Don’t wreck the car---Don’t wreck the car—Dear God, don’t let me wreck the car”, but I bit the bullet and bought a 4 lap card for 100 Euros.

I kept to the right the whole time to let the fast drivers pass and pass they did, like at 120 mph. After one lap I was back to the paddock to let my nerves calm down a bit and get a drink of water. As I did not know the course at all, it was a very conservative lap…and I didn’t wreck the car! I was breaking very early for the corners and short shifting as there was only 600 km on the engine. I did three more laps and got a bit braver each time, but still slow compared to most drivers. There were two crashes ahead of me that I saw, one a red sedan that hit the guard rail, and on the last lap a motorcycle went down. So I achieved my goal, 4 laps and no wrecks! This was the biggest adrenaline rush since I jumped out of an airplane 40 some years ago.

I have driven autocross events in the States, and there is the required safety inspection, approved helmet requirement, waivers and release papers to sign. All of this to drive in a parking lot with cones, never leave first gear, and only one car at a time. Here I am at the “Green Hell” where people die every year, and there is no safety inspection nor helmet requirement and the only thing I signed was a credit card slip for a track pass. Amazing!

We then drove down along the Mosel river valley and through the Black Forrest for a few days. Then over to the resort area of Lake Constance for a very relaxing stay. Next we headed over to the Bavarian Alps and stayed at the ski resort at Garmisch. No snow at his time, but maybe we will return some day with our skis.

The last leg was a trip up to the very popular tourist town of Rothsberg, were we stayed overnight and saw the sights and shopped a bit. Our last day, Saturday, was the first day of really nice weather, sunny and 75, so it was the top down all day long. We just kept to the glorious back roads all the way back to Stuttgart where we dropped the car off at Porsche and took a taxi to the hotel. Sunday was the long, long flight home.

What a fantastic trip. Two weeks without a cell phone and (almost) no internet. Now I join the “Waiters Club” and count the days until the car gets shipped to California.

Thoughts on the car and trip:

Visibility: We drove most of the time with the top up (chilly and drizzle) and I think the visibility was great. Even better with the top down. Rear view and side view mirrors give complete coverage up to the doors and a quick glance over is all I needed for a lane change. No blind spots. I chose no park assist and had no problems parking. With the low hood, forward visibility was fine. Rearward, not so great, but still not really a problem.

Autobahn driving: My first time driving in Europe. Did not really go all that fast on the Autobahn, most of the time it was 120-140 kph (75-85 mph). Wife freaks out at anything over that. Actually found that fast driving in a straight line is not that big of a deal. I was actually most impressed with the discipline of the drivers, passing only on the left, turn signals…very predictable, not at all like the US.
The back roads was where the car really shines and was much more enjoyable than the Autobahn. Responsiveness was amazing. Drove in PASM normal most of the time and felt the ride was just about right. German roads are very smooth.

2.7 Engine: Wonderful, period. I was surprised that it actually will pull from 2000 rpm in 6[SUP]th[/SUP] gear. Not that I recommend that, but if you just need a little more speed there is really no need to down shift. Of course, 4-5,000 rpm is a lot more fun. As the engine was still new I tried to keep revs under 6,000 at Nurburgring and under 5,000 the rest of the time.

Wednesday turned out to be a great day for delivery. Museums are closed on Monday, so it was Tuesday that we visited the museums. I suggest doing that the day before delivery, as it is a bit much to do all in one day. That way we had no problem doing a two hour trip on delivery day. Besides, you will really want to drive that first day.

As I had a 6MT and SC, I wanted to try out the rev matching. I thought it activated in Sports mode, and it did not seem to do much. “Oh well, I thought, this is no big deal”
Then the next day I tried out Sports Plus and without thinking much about it, I selected first gear as I slowly approached a round-about. My wife just about jumped out of her seat as the engine screamed up to 5,000 rpm! Yes, it does work!

Jamie Dillon will advise you that if you want to remove the temp license plate(s) you will need a tool as the guard at the drop off may not have tools. The tool kit in the car has a screw driver, so bringing a tool is not necessary.

Here are a few pictures: Bavaria compressed.jpg Finally top is down.jpg old castle.jpg Porsche Delivery hall compressed cropped.jpg red car black forrest.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
Great story and beautiful car! Congrats and thanks for sharing it. :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Glad your trip went well.
It a life time trip. I agree the quality of the drivers was quite high

Did you stay in the schaschlossgarten ?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Glad your trip went well. <br>
It a life time trip. I agree the quality of the drivers was quite high<br>
<br>
Did you stay in the schaschlossgarten ?
No, we chose the Steigenberger Graf Zeppelin, mainly because it had a pool. Our first two nights were at the Hotel Unger, just a half block away from the Steigenberger.<br>

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wow. I gotta read this again when i have time.

I envy you guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
399 Posts
That is inspiring! I showed my wife and she said we should think of doing this when we purchase our next Porsche.

Thank ng you for sharing :cheers:

·
Registered
747 Posts
Al, i remember talking to you before your trip. Great trip sounds like you checked all the boxes.
My 15 981CS is in San Diego should be here this week. Trading in my 14 981 CS with PASM for more of a pure track build. I'll be looking for that red Boxster around town. When is it due?carl

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We are hoping for a nice Christmas present. I had not been on a race track in over 40 years, with an old TR6 no less, and I can see how addicting it could get.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
My wife is not a "car person" at all, but she had a great time. We drove about 2-3 hours most days and it felt just about right. We had enough time to sight see at all our stops. Porsche provided a Garmin nav system since I did not order it with the car and it worked 90% of the time. Once it thought we were going the wrong way on the Autobahn, but it was just some new construction that had it confused. I had two women screaming at me!

I forgot to post the picture from the Long Horn Saloon. Thanks to Crgkart for the info on it, as I had no idea where to stay. It was a lot of fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
Sounds like a great trip! The cool thing is, every time you drive the car, memories come flooding back! You'll never forget it. Hope to duplicate your experience soon...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Fantastic write up. I lived vicariously through every word. Thank you! Glad you didn't "wreak" the car too, LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
992 Posts
Great post - congrats on the trip and car - I hope to do something similar next year.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
European delivery is a great way to pick up a car, great experience and it's fun to drive it around Germany. Only wished Porsche has discounts and incentives for ED. Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,105 Posts
Wonderful! Brings back memories from last year. I also stayed at the Graf Zepplin and now I am going to add the Nurburgring to my list of places to go with my next ED!

BTW - Love your color. Nice choice!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wow, awesome story, nice car. If I ever did EuroDelivery this is certainly the time of year I'd like to be there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for sharing! Hope to go with the wife one day, maybe my next Porsche.

Bill

1 - 20 of 35 Posts