Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm back.

A couple years ago I sold my 981 Cayman S to a board member (we still keep in touch!) to be ready to snag s GT4 if the right one came up. Still haven't found the right one, but did get my name on the list for a GT4RS if they ever become a reality.

Between selling the 981 and getting this 987. I've owned an F80 M3 comp pack, BRZ, e92 M3 comp pack, and 997.2 C4S. Last week I took delivery of this 2007 Cayman S from a dealer that had one previous meticulous owner and only 11,500 miles. When it arrived, the condition exceeded my expectations (I paid $29k from the dealer, which I believe is pretty good).

I've got a long list of additions to increase the driving experience, but I will say hands down that from the cars listed above, I would already choose the keys to this 987.1 10 out of 10 times for a curvy weekend drive. Yes, the technology isn't quite as good as the newer cars, but the Bose system is actually better than the Bose in the 997.2 and HK in the F80 (I'm guessing part of it is that there is less air to move around inside the smaller Cayman).

Anyway, here are the modifications I have planned. This won't be a track car for the first few years. Unfortunately I haven't actually taken any pics of the car yet, but will soon.

- Wavetrac LSD
- GT3 brake duct spoilers
- GT3 brake master cylinder
- Stainless brake lines
- Pagid yellow track pads
- IPD plenum
- IPD 82mm throttle body
- BMC air filter
- FVD stage 1 software w/genius tool
- FVD Sport catback exhaust
- Bilstein PSS9 coilover suspension
- 19" PSS tires on Sport Design wheels
- Clear side markers
- Alcantara shift boot/knob with Porsche SSK

Reactions: K-Man S

·
Registered
108 Posts
Is the 987 S better than the 981 S ? (better driving experience ?) I have not owned either hence asking. Planning to buy 981 S but every now and then a low miles good condition 987 S pops up for sale. Also what is the approximate cost of that mod list you listed .. installed ?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my opinion, the 987 is a more pure driving experience, which for me is better. The 987 is noticeably smaller, and feels just as quick as the 981 (possibly due to the long gearing in the 981?). The hydraulic steering in the 987 is also better, although the EPS in the 981 is pretty good. I also feel like somehow the chassis in the 987 is more predictable.

Advantages for the 981: I think it looks better, it has better technology, better brakes and more precise shift feel. It's a little more "flexible" if you will, and would probably make the better daily driver if you were going that route.

I paid 29 for the Cayman and it will be about 6 for all of the mods installed. So for 35, I'm going to have one of the best drivers cars under $250k. You can find a lower mileage 981S for high 50s now. I'm not sure what the delta would have to be for me to choose the 981 over my modded 987... probably under $10k though.

Reactions: Blessed and gulshan

·
Registered
490 Posts
In my opinion, the 987 is a more pure driving experience, which for me is better. The 987 is noticeably smaller, and feels just as quick as the 981 (possibly due to the long gearing in the 981?). The hydraulic steering in the 987 is also better, although the EPS in the 981 is pretty good. I also feel like somehow the chassis in the 987 is more predictable.

Advantages for the 981: I think it looks better, it has better technology, better brakes and more precise shift feel. It's a little more "flexible" if you will, and would probably make the better daily driver if you were going that route.

I paid 29 for the Cayman and it will be about 6 for all of the mods installed. So for 35, I'm going to have one of the best drivers cars under $250k. You can find a lower mileage 981S for high 50s now. I'm not sure what the delta would have to be for me to choose the 981 over my modded 987... probably under $10k though.

Sold our 981 Boxster and just picked up a 24,000 mile (not 25,600 mile) Cayman S manual.

I agree with "everything" ZCP stated within the post.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Well different strokes for different folks. I had a 07 987.1 CS and now I have a 14 981 CS. I liked the 987.1 and still think it is drop dead gorgeous from the rear. But has some awkward looks from the from 3/4 view. Also the car was so loud at highway speeds and/or on broken pavement that conversations and radio listening was near impossible. On the other hand my 981 is faster, quieter, and although not as sexy from the rear is better looking from all angles. If I had a choice, which I did, I'd pick the 981 every time. IMHO.

·
Registered
147 Posts
ZCP,
Welcome back! I too returned to the Cayman platform after dalliances with other cars--including a pair of Lotus Exiges.

I have done almost the exact same mods as you list to my 09 S track car. I have an OS Giken LSD, but considered a Wavetrac, so let's compare notes. On track, the LSD is a must to "square up" the car when braking from high speeds, where the car otherwise gets a bit spooky/squirrelly. I'd also put the GT3 master cylinder in the must-have category. The other stuff is nice, but try out another car wth the PSS9s and the 19 inch wheels. Even with the shocks at full soft, mine were too hard for the street with the 19s, though my son and I drove it back to Seattle from Phoenix that way. I run OZ Allegeritas in 18 inch sizes at the track, and the stock 5-spoke OEMs on the street.

I also have Tarrett sways front and rear, Numeric shifter cables, and a RAID steering wheel. Next to last bolt-on will be a set of Fabspeed headers. Last bolt on will be a 3.8 motor, followed by a large garage sale of 3.4 parts

- Wavetrac LSD
- GT3 brake duct spoilers
- GT3 brake master cylinder
- Stainless brake lines
- Pagid yellow track pads
- IPD plenum
- IPD 82mm throttle body
- BMC air filter
- FVD stage 1 software w/genius tool
- FVD Sport catback exhaust
- Bilstein PSS9 coilover suspension
- 19" PSS tires on Sport Design wheels
- Clear side markers
- Alcantara shift boot/knob with Porsche SSK
Terry

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Half way done with my planned upgrades and figured I would post a progress pic. I've owned a lot of cars, but this is hands down my favorite so far. FVD has been awesome to work with, as has Alan from ModBargains.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sports car Wheel

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Having moved from a 987.2 to a 981 I agree that there is not much between them in handling terms. My 981 has the X73 suspension and PTV, though, so I'm not really comparing apples and apples. The 981 feels a little more relaxed for street driving, perhaps. I can't say I've noticed any real difference in steering feel between the two, which probably just means that I'm not sensitive enough. At the track the 981 is steadier under heavy braking and over crests.

The main thing the 981 has over the 987 is looks and interior comfort. Of course the big improvement for track day junkies came between the 987.1 and 987.2, with the new engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.