Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my old internet friends!

A few years ago I had to sell my Cayman S for financial reasons. Since 2011 I've been driving a 2008 Mazda MX-5. It served me well but never compared. This past weekend I traded in the Miata for a 2008 Boxster S. Seal grey, 55K miles for $28K. Loved my Cayman but I'm living in California now so I decided it would be best to have a convertible :) So happy to be back in a car I love.

Not going to do much to it besides some cosmetic upgrades. Clear side markers, silver/black hood crest and center caps. New stereo knobs, the others were gummy :)

987_1.jpg 987_2.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
"New stereo knobs, the others were gummy"

Hey, I am not sure this will help you out or not on the radio knobs - I have an 06 that I purchased about a year and a half ago and the knobs were gummy. I thought they were too far gone but they weren't. I pulled them off (easy) and scrubbed them gently with a rag soaked with denatured alcohol. A year and a half later they still look brand new. To buy new ones was crazy expensive for a plastic knob... Hope this helps and welcome back!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip on the radio knobs! Alas I already ordered the replacements. Yes, ridiculously expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, prospective 987 owner here...

Having owned both the Cayman and Boxster of similar vintage, how would you compare them? I realize the Boxster is a convertible, but other than that... I'll be moving from Alaska to warmer climes this summer and am tempted by the Boxster but like the overall shape of the Cayman better... are the driving dynamics much different? anything you miss from the Cayman?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
714 Posts
Like the Seal Grey color. Welcome Back!
I'm glad you returned to the 987, but the MX-5 is a handling champ. What were the areas where you preferred the 987?

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the super late reply. All things considered the cars are so similar that once inside you really can't tell a difference. The Cayman has less cabin noise with the absence of the soft top. I prefer the look of the Cayman to the Boxster but I don't think I can live without a convertible, especially now that I'm back in Southern California. The Cayman generally gets more respect from those unfamiliar with Porsche. Most don't even know that it's the same car (sans top) which drives me nuts. One friend actually said to me "Awe a Boxster really? Why not go with the Cayman? It's a much better car" of which I completely dismissed and told him he had no idea what he was talking about.

I've now owned a base 986, a base 996 cabrio, a 987 Cayman S and now a 987 Boxster S. All things considered I think my 987 Boxster S is my favorite overall experience. There's nothing like driving that car up the Pacific Coast Highway with the top down and ocean breeze. The Cayman looks better than the Boxster top up but Boxster top down, I don't know. That's one sexy car. IMO

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that MX-5 was a nimble car for sure! One mistake I made was going from manual transmissions in all my Porsches to a tiptronic in the Mazda. I felt I lost a lot of the driving experience by doing so. The MX5 I respected and I told myself the whole time this is a good car replacement. But not to be cliche, there is no substitute. I missed my Cayman every time I got in it. I said many times that I would even rather have my original 986 base model over it. There's a certain connection to the road I felt with the Porsches. I felt the miata was under powered and missed that passing ability on the freeway. It did well but nothing like any of the Porsches I had. It doesn't need to be a monster but I think it would fair well at about 220 hp. It also felt very economy and japanese to me too. While Porches doesn't throw a huge amount of luxury items into their cars they just feel solid and well constructed. I have way more confidence in the Porsche than the miata.

Then there's the stigma. I hate to sound superficial here but nobody, I mean nobody respects the car besides people who know what Miatas can do on the track. I know they make the top ten lists every year and reviewers love them. Not my friends. Not my wife. My brother laughed at me when I bought it. Nobody. In fact for a while here at work they nicknamed me "Lipstick Tim" because of a joke about carrying lipstick in my 16 year old girls car. I feel like the whole time I had it I was defending it's worth. Now that I'm back in my Boxster I'm just a douchebag :) I can live with that.

All that said. If I had the money and place to park it I would keep that MX5 and make it a track car. Seems like that's where the real fun would be. In fact what inspired me to get it in the first place was from my experience at the track. I had my 911, my friend had a new Elise and the third guy rented one of the track Miatas. He lapped us. I mean he smoked us.

In the end I feel you gotta love what you drive if at all possible. The possibility presented itself. I'm so happy with my new (used) car I'm going to drive this thing until the wheels fall off and cherish every second of it:)

·
Registered
895 Posts
OMG, this made me LOL and every bit of it is da truth.

Eddie

Then there's the stigma. I hate to sound superficial here but nobody, I mean nobody respects the car besides people who know what Miatas can do on the track. I know they make the top ten lists every year and reviewers love them. Not my friends. Not my wife. My brother laughed at me when I bought it. Nobody. In fact for a while here at work they nicknamed me "Lipstick Tim" because of a joke about carrying lipstick in my 16 year old girls car. I feel like the whole time I had it I was defending it's worth. Now that I'm back in my Boxster I'm just a douchebag :) I can live with that.

All that said. If I had the money and place to park it I would keep that MX5 and make it a track car. Seems like that's where the real fun would be. In fact what inspired me to get it in the first place was from my experience at the track. I had my 911, my friend had a new Elise and the third guy rented one of the track Miatas. He lapped us. I mean he smoked us.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
interesting views on mx5 ownership vs owning a boxster and glad you've got one back in the garage/drive way.

I must admit that many feel the mx5 can feel er... less masculine, my friend who owns one told me "this car makes me grin ear to ear".
low maintenance, simple design and pretty reliable too. he took me out on a quick drive the other day and we had fun even at low speeds.

I hear California's got the best weather for driving a convertible - enjoy in good health!

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
interesting views on mx5 ownership vs owning a boxster and glad you've got one back in the garage/drive way.

I must admit that many feel the mx5 can feel er... less masculine, my friend who owns one told me "this car makes me grin ear to ear".
low maintenance, simple design and pretty reliable too. he took me out on a quick drive the other day and we had fun even at low speeds.

I hear California's got the best weather for driving a convertible - enjoy in good health!
Don't get me wrong. It's a great car. But has your friend ever owned a Porsche? It's hard not to get spoiled. Had I never owned a Porsche I probably would have been completely content. It's like a great pair of running shoes vs bionic legs. Maybe not that extreme but just IMO

·
Premium Member
818 Posts
'There's nothing like driving that car up the Pacific Coast Highway with the top down and ocean breeze' Says it all and congrats.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well done sir! congrats on keeping your priorities straight

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
I'm back too after a hiatus, I love this place, best car site. I'm still driving my CS, she just turned 40K on her ticker, no issues honeymoon still ongoing and she's my daily driver to boot. She will be with me four years this June, I must admit the GT4 has me enthralled, but for South Florida traffic nothing beats a PDK...........

1 - 17 of 17 Posts