Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a deposit (supposedly #1 in line) at a smaller dealership. It's not even close to the megadealers that you see in CA or TX or FL. And I'm not a VIP customer by any stretch. And I will not pay over MSRP.

So there is a chance I won't actually get the car, which would be disappointing but doesn't deter me from my goal of getting a fun sports car this year! I've gone 3 years now without a proper sports car.

So I'm looking at plan B. I may go with the Cayman GTS, a 991S Cab, or the Alfa 4C. I'm leaning towards the 4C for the fun factor.

What are other people thinking? If you can't get a GT4 this year, what is your plan B?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I was really in love with the idea of the Alfa..I did see it in person..I don't think I would want to own it though..I would choose the Cayman GTS over it everyday..I recently bought a 991S and will tell you its a hell of a car..It is bigger which is a good and bad thing,but it is very fast and very stable..The Cayman and 911 are very different cars and both are great..I need a car with backseats so I recently traded in my 981S for the 991S..There are things I miss about the 981S but I do think the 991S is a big step up..The power is very nice to have and the handling is much more stable than the997.1S i had.
The GT4 will be an awesome car..I do wonder if it will be too hardcore for the street though..
I have had a 991S cab as a loaner car,and will say it is a great car..fast,top down,room for kids..good luck

·
Registered
360 Posts
If I cannot get a GT4,

I will have to try to make do with the 2014 CS I already have and console myself that I already have a somewhat impractical Porsche in the 2012 Spyder.

williamr

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
If I can't get a GT4 I will stomp my feet, and wail like a baby! Humph! :hilarious:

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
We're sorry but that position has already been filled by westwest888.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't need a GT4 but smart money is to buy this model. My heart and finances have been cleared to buy a sports car now, after years of wanting to get my first one. So I'll get something. My practical side will return and I'll get a Base CPO Cayman if I miss out on the GT4. Basically a practical street use sports car.

Why the GT4 makes sense to break the bank now instead of a BASE Cayman.
- it's a GT model, way less depreciation % wise. Total real cost of depreciation would be similar by my calculation (100k GT4 depreciating 25-30% vs $75k car (Base or S) depreciating 40% over 3 years)
- a GT4 gives me no desire to upgrade up the food chain (not a 911 fan). Saves the upgrade bug to a S or GTS
- less desire to modify, the GT4 is fully done up visually and performance wise.
- drive it 3-5 years and more than enough money in resale to pick up an Audi TT-RS, BMW Z4 or next generation Cayman to carry me on another 4-5 years. I'm a car enthusiast, but don't yet know if I'm a race car enthusiast. I'm realistic to know my needs. A livable Sports car is what I need but a sports car is what I want.

·
Next Porsche: 2022 992 GT3
4,088 Posts
We're sorry but that position has already been filled by westwest888.
You are the funniest guy in the forum. Really. lol

·
PCA Member and Fully Matured Mod
3,263 Posts
Get on the waiting list for the FeFi and start saving :D

·
Registered
2,881 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
I'd recommend your plan B be checking ebay. I'm sure you'll find some selling their GT4 due to clearance or rough ride that they didn't expect.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think the new Evora S400 will be more fun than a 4C IMO, and it looks better IMO.

Reactions: JohnnyQuest

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have a deposit (supposedly #1 in line) at a smaller dealership. It's not even close to the megadealers that you see in CA or TX or FL. And I'm not a VIP customer by any stretch. And I will not pay over MSRP.

So there is a chance I won't actually get the car, which would be disappointing but doesn't deter me from my goal of getting a fun sports car this year! I've gone 3 years now without a proper sports car.

So I'm looking at plan B. I may go with the Cayman GTS, a 991S Cab, or the Alfa 4C. I'm leaning towards the 4C for the fun factor.

What are other people thinking? If you can't get a GT4 this year, what is your plan B?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

You can buy my 14 Cs X73 , PDK , Carbon Fiber, Black Wheels, 4400 miles when I take delivery of my GT4 as your plan B. You would still own a proper sports car and would save some money. Hell I will even let you drive the GT4 when you come to get it.

JK! If you are on top of the list you should be good to go. This car is going to be produceded in about the same # as the Cayman R.
Dont belive me just wait until March 5th or watch the EVO video and the Porsche rep says and I quote "no need to run out to the dealers!" Anyone with a 918 that buys a GT4 will have to wait 6 months before they can sell it so you might be able to get a GT4 then.
Now if you want an GT3 rs good luck with that!! All the 918 buyers will be hoarding those cars.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Life is ruff.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Just to keep on saving for the P13 launch.

Reactions: KCZ

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
Wait until Sept/Oct 2016. There will be a fair selection of CPO cars from those that end up figuring out the car is not suitable for DD, especially from those in the snow belt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wait until Sept/Oct 2016. There will be a fair selection of CPO cars from those that end up figuring out the car is not suitable for DD, especially from those in the snow belt.
But those might have already been picked up by the people who wanted a GT4 but weren't able to get an allocation. I feel like the used market for this car is going to be interesting to watch.

Reactions: Finally @ 57

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
But those might have already been picked up by the people who wanted a GT4 but weren't able to get an allocation.
How is that possible? I predict that a fair number, a reasonable number of people think the car is just a GTS+. Then they get it home, live with for a year, especially after this frigid winter, and realize its really meant as Porsche intended it to be, as a track day toy, and then trade it in. So the dealer CPOs the car.

Are you thinking that someone who could not get a new car gets first crack at the CPO cars, like there will be another list? I never heard of that or considered it.

·
Premium Member
1,244 Posts
From the number of people who have put down deposits and have no... chance of every getting one (my dealer said that they stopped taking deposits at #15 and only hope to get 3, maybe 4 for the year!) you will have a lot of company. So, with all that company, fighting over the CPO's will get ugly. Better to start with an old 981 and get the 3.8 swap and upgrade suspension out of the same parts bin as the GT4.. and make sure you don't stop at 385 hp!

D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts