Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my front windshield replaced (original cracked from rock hit) and I noticed after the installation that the glass sticks up above the black seal that goes around the windsheild along the top only. The amount is small (1/16" or so), but clearly is not the same as the factory windshield it replaced. As you round the top and start down the side pillars of the glass, that 1/16" protrusion tapers down to flush the rest of the way around the windshield, as it appeared on the original glass.

I contacted the installer company and they sent the technician out to look at it. By the way, the company and technician have been very understanding and courteous about the matter. Anyway, the technician looked at it and agreed the glass piece was not right, saying this is the way it came from the dealer. They ordered another one from the dealer, but the company said it has the same 1/16" amount sticking up above the black window seal at the top of the glass.

With two windshields in a row looking like this, I have to wonder, is this considered normal tolerances?

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
That tiny lip of the glass is normal, and should go around the entire piece.

brad

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick response, beez.

The technician just stopped by with the new front glass.

I took a close look at the new piece and I do see how that lip is normal all the way around. However, when pressure is applied evenly to the black rubber seal, it goes flush with the window. If you push unevenly, the lip gets worse. The technician and I went back and forth with the old and new windshield and decided that it may not have been properly seated in the frame, causing it to appear more pushed up/out at the top of the windshield.

Based on this, I asked the technician to go ahead and replace the old with the new piece and we'll see what happens.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Who did your install? Was there a gap between thr rubber gasket and the body?

Glass America did the installation and they were great to work with, very customer oriented.

There was no gap between the body and rubber gasket. There was a small protruding lip to the glass over the rubber seal around the top of the glass from the first install.

This time, with the second new windshield, the lip is all but gone and it appears even all the way around the window. I can tell the window is sitting lower than before because I can see where the previous rubber seal/gasket rested on the roof of the car.

I'll be driving it home in about an hour and I'll see how it sounds.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Hard to tell on the first picture because it's out of focus, but from the second picture, it looks like it's been done correctly - looks just like mine came from the factory, and how the replacement I had done last year looks, too.

brad

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Driving the car home after the second install today, pleased with the comestic results, I noticed that I now have notable wind noise coming from the driver side A pillar, toward the top of the window. I first noticed the wind noise at about 65mph-70mph, getting louder as speed increased. When I turned off the radio, I then noticed the noise as low as 45mph-50mph.

With all the attention the technician gave to the installation, I was very optimistic that things were finally worked out. Oh well, I guess I will be calling Glass America on Monday morning. Third time is the charm, right?

·
Registered
409 Posts
CS windshields must be tricky. My dealer did mine and had to do it again but 2nd time was a charm and it fits correctly now. No extra noises either.

My 1st replacement the glass was sitting above the rubber gasket by quite a bit in that I could literally see under the glass. It probably was no more than 1/16" but noticeable.

When done properly as a previous poster had mentioned you will still see the edge of the glass above the gasket but there shouldn't be a gap.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to go through that again. So for anyone getting their glass replaced by a dealer do yourself a favor and make sure they know what you will be looking for and make sure they have someone tell the glass installer that. I think too many times they just leave the glass installers to get on with the job and who can blame them since it should be a simple process.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had my windshield replaced by the dealer's jobber in August. After some discussion with my insurance company, I was successful in getting a Porsche OEM replacement. The installer did a good job with no superficial damage to the body, paint or interior. Mine fits flush with the rubber seal everywhere except the two top corners. It sticks out just a little bit. I have noticed no additional noise and better yet no leaks. I decided to leave well enough alone. The driving experience is so much better without looking at that spider crack that they could not fill completely.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update...

Yesterday, attempt number 3 was made by installer number 2 to finish the windshield replacement job. After installer 2 spent two more hours of troubleshooting and regluing windshield number 2, I drove home only to hear a new leak at the bottom of the windshield.

I called the company back today to inform them fix number 3 did not take. Both of us exhausted with the situation (yet remaining polite), we agreed to make another attempt (number 4) at their facility (so far they have been doing the work outside at my work parking lot) so they can do a pressure test and pin point the leaks.

I hope by this time tomorrow I have a leak free, cosmetically acceptable, new windshield.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
What is so weird about this, is when I had mine replaced about a year ago, I called my dealer service writer (who is great and very knowledgeable, btw) and found out who does all the glass replacement for them. I called them, they ordered the OEM part (after a phone call and a minor wrangling with the insurance co. - bottom line was only OEM glass was available, anyway) and two days later, I took the car down to their shop. I watched while he did the job. He took out the old one. cleaned it all up, used two tubes of sealer/glue and used about a 1/2-inch wide bead of the stuff all the way around, he hooked up the aerial, put in the glass - it had the rubber already around it - and that was that. It took an hour, beginning to end, no leaks, no noise, everything quite perfect. From watching someone do it, I don't understand where the problems happen.

brad

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car was pressure tested and no leaks were found.
Basically, what was determined is that the window sits a little higher in the frame than the factory installed window (build up of material - sealant, glue, etc.) and that slightly different position is causing wind noise at higher speeds (detectable w/radio off >50 mph, notable wind noise > 80 mph). With the fixes done the noise is no longer annoying to me, but it is not the same as the factory windshield. They left the decision in my hands whether or not to do windshield 3. I have not yet decided how to proceed.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The car was pressure tested and no leaks were found.
Basically, what was determined is that the window sits a little higher in the frame than the factory installed window (build up of material - sealant, glue, etc.) and that slightly different position is causing wind noise at higher speeds (detectable w/radio off >50 mph, notable wind noise > 80 mph). With the fixes done the noise is no longer annoying to me, but it is not the same as the factory windshield. They left the decision in my hands whether or not to do windshield 3. I have not yet decided how to proceed.
Any updates?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts