Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Guys I have an issue I need some advice on...

On the last shock/swaybar/alignment setup, we had the steering wheel setup which was the best I have ever felt ( for my driving style - tight steering )

When I turned the steering wheel 15 degrees the car would turn at about 15 degrees. To do a 180, the same I would have to turn the wheel 180 degrees.

We changed the shocks/sways and alignment and something has gone wrong..

Now to turn the car 15% I have to turn the car about 95 degrees, and to do a 180 it is over about a 400 degree steering wheel turn. This thing takes sooo much steering it is almost undriveable.

We took it to an AX event yesterday, and this is the way we found out. Impossible to do AX like this. It was more then a work out!

At the event I added more toe out the the front to try to get it to turn better. this did next to nothing..

I do have a smaller mm steering wheel then stock, so it should take less turning to get the car to turn.

There is no noises or clanking or anything out of the ordinary.

The only things I can think of is something in the steering column or in the steering.tie rod area that is just not right.

When the swaybar was installed, do you think we could have messed something up? Like missed a blot or locking/mounting mechanism for the tie/steering?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated..

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Good one; I would think the attachment of the steering rod is in the wrong place so that the radius of operation is much sharper than it should be. Shocks, sway bars should not be doing anything.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Man, I'm baffled. I would take a good look at the rack, tie-rods, uprights, and what you can get to of the steering column. Have someone turn the steering wheel and watch from underneath. None of the alignment and suspension parts you changed should affect steering ratio at all. IF a joint in the steering column were slipping (almost impossible) the steering wheel wouldn't return to the centered position. Otherwise, steering ratio is generally a function of pinion/rack ratio and steering arm (on the upright) length. Good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Still looking into it, I will take apart the front subframe this weekend and have a look to see what is going on!

I think I may have missed a bolt in the steering rack :-( Causing it to move around.. Hope it did not damage anything.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok today I jacked up the car, took off the under body plate and the front wheels and had a look.

Steering rack is in place, no bolts missing or loose rack.

I did notice that the sway bar was hitting the lower control arm, so I raised it up the drop links a little bit more, so it should not hit anymore.

Ok some research I found that might be useful for others.

The 07 Cayman has a Steering Ratio of

13.8-17.1:1

and uses a variable steering ratio.

from Lock to Lock the wheel turns 2.6 times or 900 degrees.

at full wheel lock the car turns a diameter of 34.4 feet

Weight dist., f/r 46 / 54 %

I do not yet know the angle the wheels at 360 degrees though...

So I am thinking mine may have some kind of kink or bind in the tie rod connection, or something weird in the rack, as this is not what I am getting. mine is turning a lot less then the above :-(

I am also thinking that 2.5 rotations is a lot for a quick turning car. So I was looking at the possibilities of maybe a custom gear on the steering rack, making the turning maybe 1.5 times from lock to lock.... Thoughts? I think this would be Great for Auto X - as less steering input would be needed to get the car to turn, and less turning would mean more control and less hand movements.

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
"maybe a custom gear on the steering rack"

that will fix the steering problem - you bet yah.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update - ok, took my car to my friends at Rector Porsche in Burlingame ( ask for Paul ).

I looks as is for some reason I had a left lower control arm bolt that was bent and falling out :-O This was causing the steering radius to shift on a constant basis.

Strange I did not even see it :-(

So problem solved!

·
Administrator
34,646 Posts
Good it was something that was messed up and found because doing a custom steering rack for a combo mechanical/electrical steering system like what we have would have been a nightmare fraught with danger and likely would not have ended well. As I think we all suspected, when things got tinkered with something was right after it was put back together, glad your guy found what it was!

·
Caymaniac
5,663 Posts
Update - ok, took my car to my friends at Rector Porsche in Burlingame ( ask for Paul ).

I looks as is for some reason I had a left lower control arm bolt that was bent and falling out :-O This was causing the steering radius to shift on a constant basis.

Strange I did not even see it :-(

So problem solved!
Admit it. You are disappointed. :hilarious:

·
On Probation
582 Posts
Ok I admit it .. ( But I still want the turning ratio to be better...... )
how about one of those knobs that goes on the steering wheel...they were the thing to have in the 1950,s and they really worked

·
Registered
14 Posts
I assume you had to turn the wheel 95 degrees to get the car to go 15 degrees when driving at a decent speed, right? I think I may have just not notice it before, but I have to turn my steering wheel quite a bit to make turns at low speeds. For example, I usually have to turn my steering wheel about a decent amount past 90 degrees to make a slow right turn at a traffic light and about 90 degrees to make a left. I also have to turn the wheel close to a full rotation to pull into parking spots. Does this sound normal to anyone?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.