Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this forum, and new to purchasing a porsche as I've never owned one before.

Right now I'm considering purchasing a 2017 new cayman 718 base model (manual transmission), in jet metallic black.
The MSRP for this vehicle is 57000.00 and it will require a special order from the factory to make (according to the dealer).

Has anyone purchased a base model, and regretted now having all the bells and whistles on it?

Thanks for your advice

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I've got a base 981 and it is great, even as a track car. This weekend I learned even the sports chrono is a waste of money, as the PDK in sport mode can handle 100% of the shifting on a road course perfectly. Get the LED headlights if you have trouble seeing at night - they're twice as bright in lumens as PDLS. Free paint is good, free seats are good, free stereo is appropriate for a loud sportscar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: cayman addict

·
Registered
108 Posts
The base 718 as you know sounds like a Golf R with an aftermarket exhaust. If you are buying because it's the cheapest new Porsche coupe no problem. If buying for total soul satisfaction then go for any 911 or 981/987 Cayman's..

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The base 718 as you know sounds like a Golf R with an aftermarket exhaust. If you are buying because it's the cheapest new Porsche coupe no problem. If buying for total soul satisfaction then go for any 911 or 981/987 Cayman's..
987 is a caveman car compared to 981/718. I was instructing a student with a GT4 and a base 718 handily passed him. It is a fantastic car.

Reactions: gcurnew

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a base 718 6 speed manual (optioned to 63k). Typical discount 5-6% from MSRP with a bit of negiotation (depending on area of country). Very satisfying car (and all you 718 haters-just stop it!). Very quick and plenty of torque (and I am still break-in limited to 4500rpm). "Must have options" are very user dependent, but IMHO I like heated/cooled sport seats (manual operated), connect (allows CARPLAY), and auto-dim mirrors with auto wipers as bare minimum (I have several other options like full leather, yada, yada which are very nice but not absolute). The essence of the driving experience is in the DNA of the basic car and this year the basic sound system is better and the standard lights are xenons and also parking assist with back up camera is standard. So, one could stay under $60 with a great car.

·
Registered
4,848 Posts
I have a base 718 6 speed manual (optioned to 63k). Typical discount 5-6% from MSRP with a bit of negiotation (depending on area of country). Very satisfying car (and all you 718 haters-just stop it!). Very quick and plenty of torque (and I am still break-in limited to 4500rpm). "Must have options" are very user dependent, but IMHO I like heated/cooled sport seats (manual operated), connect (allows CARPLAY), and auto-dim mirrors with auto wipers as bare minimum (I have several other options like full leather, yada, yada which are very nice but not absolute). The essence of the driving experience is in the DNA of the basic car and this year the basic sound system is better and the standard lights are xenons and also parking assist with back up camera is standard. So, one could stay under $60 with a great car.
As a long time owner of 911s, I was surprised at how much of the 911 "driving experience" is embedded in the Cayman. And let's not forget that the Cayman costs nearly 40% less than a 911. A friend of mine bought his 718 for a little over $55K after discount.

·
Premium Member
2,563 Posts
You specifically asked about Base 718 so I will not spend much time in trying to help. I am on my 4th Cayman...08 CS, CR, 2014 Base, 2016 Base. The 2016 was $68K......and it is my perfect config. I can elaborate futher if you would like.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Factory ordered a base 718 Cayman in November, got here in 90 days. No options at all except metallic gray paint (really nice - has sort of a glow), 18" wheels, MT. Dealer threw in heated seats for free - 4% off MSRP. List was about 56K. I did buy the 50K maintenance K.

Runs like a scalded rabbit, even my wife likes it - there was some question in her mind till it arrived. Really turns heads. At this point there really aren't any options I think I should have got. I don't think the extra 50 hp is worth 12K, 300 is pretty quick.

Base car comes with a bunch of little niceties. Windows drop a 1/4 of an inch when you grab the door handle so the door opens easier. All sorts of proximity detectors (I'm trying to figure out how to play Mary Had a Little Lamb with the detectors). Back up camera. Great gauges - each tire has its own live pressure monitor. Boost gauge. Two speedos - analog goes to 175 mph. Outside temp gauge. Separate oil/water read outs. Rear spoiler raises automatically at 70 (has a manual button too).

I think the stock headlights work fine.

It has a button called "Sport" which seems to do two (fairly useless) things - raises the idle about 200 rpm and causes the exhaust to burble and pop a little bit. Not real sure about the value, but I admit I like to hear the engine rumble. Porsche probably did this to make it sound more like a six. It's not a six, it is in fact a "Next Generation" Porsche.

There are some quibbles - obvious up front. It's a small car. Two small trunks, not much space at all inside. Can't get golf clubs in the back. I have a 47 yo 914 with rack and pinion, and I think it tracks a little better and has better road feel than the 718.

Am I happy with my 718? Absolutely! Great fun to drive, and get looked at. I got the "Option Delete" - the back only says "Porsche" and "718", and that gets lots of questions. "What the hell is that thing mister?"

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm in a base 718 Boxster w/ 6MT after 3 years in a 981 BGTS, 2 years before that in a base 981, etc. I have minimal options on my 718. I think the new motor is a steaming pile compared to the divine 3.4 flat-6, but otherwise the car has been improved in almost every way.

I personally think that most of the performance options are wastes of money. Sport Chrono is a useless gimmick (except maybe with PDK), PASM in sport mode is too firm a ride unless you are at the track, PTV is something I'm convinced doesn't work at all, and the larger wheels make the ride too stiff for a daily driver.

The only true must-have option for me is full leather. It raises the interior quality and ambiance to near-Bentley levels. I got the power seats because I like the lumbar, Bose and carplay (carplay is nice but not critical imo), heated/cooled seats because the pretty girls like that sh1t, and the sports exhaust. The sports exhaust is pricey but adds some edge to the droning water-fart sound of the base exhaust. I wouldn't characterize it as a must-have, though.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in with the base model. The S model adds more punch at the expense of an even more droning sound and some harshness at the top end. I test-drove both the base and the S, and the S wasn't worth the extra $12k or so to me. But everyone has an opinion and mine is no better than anyone else's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for all your replies.

I am going through with my purchase, and it seems like the dealer got back to me today saying that there is the exact car being shipped to the next state over at the end of the month, and I may be able to get it if I act soon enough.

Having a base model with no options will be a massive change for me currently, as I'm driving a base Toyota Prius.
In reality I will still probably drive the prius on a daily basis, as it is a fantastic car, and couldn't be more pleased with it. So moving onto a new 718, there is no way I wouldn't be blown away by it.

Thank you very much again for all your help!

·
Registered
203 Posts
My 14 Cayman was a base. in the 981, i always wished i had gotten the S model. It was just a bit under powered. I just got my 718 base and it is plenty for me though. A few had to haves for me....Bose, PDK and 14 way seats. the manual seats are actually plenty comfortable but i would always get asked, it's a Porsche and it doesn't have power seats? lol. It just always bugged me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for your post!

That is the one option that I thought I would never need (power seats), because I was thinking I'd never adjust it again after the first adjustment. LOL its only because my wife doesn't drive manual, and my kids are infants, and no one will use the car except myself.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm in a base 718 Boxster w/ 6MT after 3 years in a 981 BGTS, 2 years before that in a base 981, etc. I have minimal options on my 718. I think the new motor is a steaming pile compared to the divine 3.4 flat-6, but otherwise the car has been improved in almost every way.

I personally think that most of the performance options are wastes of money. Sport Chrono is a useless gimmick (except maybe with PDK), PASM in sport mode is too firm a ride unless you are at the track, PTV is something I'm convinced doesn't work at all, and the larger wheels make the ride too stiff for a daily driver.

The only true must-have option for me is full leather. It raises the interior quality and ambiance to near-Bentley levels. I got the power seats because I like the lumbar, Bose and carplay (carplay is nice but not critical imo), heated/cooled seats because the pretty girls like that sh1t, and the sports exhaust. The sports exhaust is pricey but adds some edge to the droning water-fart sound of the base exhaust. I wouldn't characterize it as a must-have, though.

I don't think you'll be disappointed in with the base model. The S model adds more punch at the expense of an even more droning sound and some harshness at the top end. I test-drove both the base and the S, and the S wasn't worth the extra $12k or so to me. But everyone has an opinion and mine is no better than anyone else's.
I'm currently shopping for a BGTS as well as a 718, coming from a BMW 650xi Gran Coupe. I have not driven either but the bummer is a nice place to be in. Given that you hag a BGTS, how did you like it compared to the 718? Did you use as a daily driver?

Rippey

·
Registered
268 Posts
We have a very different list of standard options here in Australia, so the basic car has lots on it that are additional in the US. The only things I added to my Boxster were the GT steering wheel (multi-function wheel is standard) and the PDK. I deleted the "Boxster" and left the "718" on the rear.

I wanted a daily driver so left the wheels at 18" and didn't take any of the ride stiffening/lowering options. Sports chrono seemed like I might use once or twice and probably never after the first month or so. I prefer the sound of the standard exhaust--the snorts, pops etc. of the Sport just seem too fake.

I even went for the standard Racing Yellow--I read research that showed yellow cars were so much more visible that they had fewer accidents than any other colour.

I have booked it in for Opti-coat+ paint protection and some window tint against the Australian sun.

Greg

·
Registered
175 Posts
I'm currently shopping for a BGTS as well as a 718, coming from a BMW 650xi Gran Coupe. I have not driven either but the bummer is a nice place to be in. Given that you hag a BGTS, how did you like it compared to the 718? Did you use as a daily driver?

Rippey

I loved the BGTS and did use it as a daily driver as well as a track toy. Incredible car. My lease was up and if Porsche still made a car with that 3.4L motor I would have gotten that in a heartbeat. But alas. The 718 has improved infotainment electronics, a better designed interior (new air vents, etc), better steering, and better exterior details. But the motor isn't in the same universe as the 3.4 from the BGTS.

FYI, I did swap out the standard 20 inch wheels on the BGTS for 18 inchers for daily driving. The 20 inchers worked great on the track but were too stiff for daily driving.

Reactions: mrrippey

·
Registered
736 Posts
"But the motor isn't in the same universe as the 3.4 from the BGTS." What does this statement mean?

In all honesty, the 3.4 is pretty hopeless down low and thats anything below 4000 rpm. I can't comment in regard to the 2l but I can in regard to the 2.5l, and that unit makes the 3.4l engine look completely asthmatic. This is most evident when you punch out of corners, add a hill at the exit and the difference is even more pronounced.

PTV works well, if you plan on tracking a car a part lockable diff works very well as it optimises traction/grip at all times. If you watch cars corner quickly without a lockable diff you will notice they go light on the inside front wheel, not good for performance or safety. Moreover, the overall benefit to driveline preservation is oft overlooked but very real.

Agreed - its not essential for a daily, however weigh this against the traction/grip benefits where the pavement imparts differential grip. Particularly but not limited to corners. So once again there are safety benefits (as well as performance benefits).

Come to think of it I can't think of a modern quality performance car that doesn't come with either a mechanical LSD or all round brake based system that provides the same function (or combination). Porsche PTV uses a combination of both lockable and brake based systems. Best of all worlds.

·
Registered
80 Posts

PTV works well, if you plan on tracking a car a part lockable diff works very well as it optimises traction/grip at all times. If you watch cars corner quickly without a lockable diff you will notice they go light on the inside front wheel, not good for performance or safety.
Please explain the lifting (I assume that is what you mean by go light) on the front wheel if you don't have a proper locking diff. Curious about the physics of that statement.

·
Registered
344 Posts
When exiting a corner aggressively, the inside rear will want to spin up with a ltd diff which can cause a powered oversteer and/or lack of proper acceleration out of the corner. With PTV, the e-diff will lock allowing both wheels to put power down helping with traction. It's good stuff to have when you're tracking it or doing 7/10 or 8/10 in the twisties.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oops, I'm not able to edit the above post for some reason right now. Let's try this again as I made a mistake.

When exiting a corner aggressively, the inside rear will want to spin up with a standard differential. This can cause a powered oversteer and/or lack of proper acceleration out of the corner. With PTV, the electronic locking differential (I believe the 718 has an E-Diff) can more evenly distribute power to both wheels allowing the outside wheel (which should have the most traction) to grip and get!

In comparison to a limited slip differential (found in several sport cars like the current C7, etc...) can only send power to the non spinning wheel, which is generally the outside wheel with the most grip. An e-diff is a little more sophisticated in the transfer of power.

Regardless, a limited slip and e-locking diff is far superior to an open diff when trying to put down the power out of a corner.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.