Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having watched a lot of videos on the new 718, I am really interested in the base model, and right now, I am thinking on passing on PSE. However, I do have a few questions that I am hoping someone can answer.

First, it seems that there is quite a considerable difference in the exhaust sound between Normal and Sport modes, even on the base models, without PSE. Is this accomplished only through changes in the tuning? (I believe that only the PSE cars come with an exhaust flap.)

Secondly, having looked at the PSE models, it seems that the exhaust is split back into 2 paths after the turbo, and that only one of those paths has the flap in it. Can someone knowledgeable about this system explain to me how this system works? Does it close the one path diverting all exhaust to the other side to make it quieter? I am somewhat puzzled by this.

Thanks in advance for helping me to understand this unusual system!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, however, I don't think that you are understanding my questions. I am trying to understand how the sound is changed between Normal and Sport modes on a base Boxster without any options. Is this strictly through engine tuning, or is there something else causing this, as I believe that there is no flap on the base exhaust, yet the sound does make a noticeable change. Also, on cars with PSE, when these are run in Normal mode, is the flap closed, causing all exhaust to travel through only on half of the system? This seems that the exhaust on PSE models would be more restrictive in Normal mode than the standard system. Or does this work differently? I have not found any information that could explain these 2 questions.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Thanks for the reply, however, I don't think that you are understanding my questions. I am trying to understand how the sound is changed between Normal and Sport modes on a base Boxster without any options. Is this strictly through engine tuning, or is there something else causing this, as I believe that there is no flap on the base exhaust, yet the sound does make a noticeable change.
Engine tuning and transmission changes only--as far as I can determine. You are correct, there are no valves/flaps in the standard exhaust.

Also, on cars with PSE, when these are run in Normal mode, is the flap closed, causing all exhaust to travel through only on half of the system? This seems that the exhaust on PSE models would be more restrictive in Normal mode than the standard system. Or does this work differently? I have not found any information that could explain these 2 questions.
I don't know the ins and outs of the PSE but the plethora of pops and crackles of the non-normal modes make me think the car has bad indigestion!

I much prefer the normal sounds although the Sport mode of the base exhaust is OK. (Note: I also wear ear-plugs while on my Moto Guzzi.)

Greg

·
Registered
257 Posts
but the plethora of pops and crackles of the non-normal modes make me think the car has bad indigestion!Greg
I'm still in my break-in period so I haven't shifted much above 4500 RPM. I had started to think that this PSE with the turbo4 was far quieter than that on my CGTS until yesterday. I had gotten on the gas and accelerated quickly to around 4500 RPM then had to downshift. The car let out a fart that can be only described as monumental. Sounded like a cherry bomb going off - I mean it was a combination of baked beans, beer and cabbage loud. I volunteer at a zoo - it was elephant fart loud.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I will admit that I initially thought that the pops were really cool. However, after completely watching both of the following phenomenal videos on my home theater set up, I was glad to know that this effect can be switched off because I can see times where I would prefer it to be quiet, such as cruising around with my wife. That said, I am sure that I would still enjoy this sound at times, just not all of the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.