Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, maybe a remedial question - but I cannot get a clear answer. On a new Cayman GTS with base audio - would I be able to connect my iPhone and play music from my iPhone? (assume connection in the glovebox as bluetooth only comes on CDR+)

I am not an audiohead, don't want or need NAV, XM, Sirius. don't need an upgraded speaker system as I do not commute - just want to be able to play music from my iphone.

Do I have to pay $1,700 to get to CDR+ to do this?

·
Registered
177 Posts
You can connect your iPhone (or any music player) to the stereo using the standard headphone jack (AUX-IN). The downsides are no control or song information through the head unit, no charging while you drive and playback won't automatically stop when you turn the ignition off. Unfortunately, if you want a USB connection, you need to pony up for CDR+. The good news is that there are aftermarket solutions that will provide the missing features (sans song info through the head unit) for less than a couple hundred bucks.

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
370 Posts
With the base audio CDR you will be able to use the aux jack in the glove box to play music from your IPhone. You will have to use the IPhone's controls to select the tracks.
The base audio CDR does allow a bluetooth connection to your Iphone for phone calls only.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The downside of using aux jack is that noise increases minutely when the rev goes up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
378 Posts
I don't have noise problem - If you do you may want to check for bad alternator.
I notice this when music is not playing. When rev goes up, so does the buzz. I dont sense that much of a noise when music is playing.

Thank you for info. I will check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
6,493 Posts
Yes, there should be no noise. I know what it is, I have it on my Subaru, when AUX is selected on radio, but nothing is playing from the phone. It's like cheap version of BMWs sound composer :)

But not on 981. If you do - you might want to include, I think it's called "ground loop noise isolator" into the setup. But most people don't need it on 981.

·
Registered
848 Posts
The reason I got CDR+ was so I could plug in an iPod. I'm assuming you want the wired connection. CDR+ also includes BlueTooth music streaming.

So today when the iPod had managed to get a flat battery I switch to BT and played music from my iPhone instead.

·
Registered
782 Posts
With the base audio CDR you will be able to use the aux jack in the glove box to play music from your IPhone. You will have to use the IPhone's controls to select the tracks.
The base audio CDR does allow a bluetooth connection to your Iphone for phone calls only.
BS
You can use the Bluetooth to wirelessly stream music from your iphone to the CDR, as previously mentioned, read the thread.
You can also purchase a charging cord, connect in the footwell and using the iphone holder made and sold by a Forum member, have your iphone mounted for visual while charging.
No noise.
Works great and saves a lot of money.
I stream music in the background and Waze in the foreground.-Richard
BTW both the phone and Waze interrupt your music for either a conversation or alerts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts