Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like some expert advice on the what I can do to increase HP my 07 Cayman base model for not a whole lot of money ($1-$2k). I'm not a professional mechanic, but am fairly mechanically inclined. Exhaust? Plenum? Headers? What first?

·
Registered
574 Posts
OEM plenum from a 3.4L is a cheap mod.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 2.7 Cayman - I installed an EVOMS V-Flow filter (about $350) and noticed an immediate increase in responsiveness . Later my indie shop put in an IPD plenum stock TB, and after several hard pulls the ECU adapted - more butt dyno smiles. I should add that prior to both these mods the DREAM 1 y pipe was installed - did not notice any significant improvements with that alone but I suspect it is synergistic with the other two. Once the plenum was installed the 2300 rpm drone became more prominent , I assume more gas moving through.

I have no before & after dynos so some will discount my comments , but all these are well established bolt on mods. If I had to pick one to recommend it would be the EVOMs V-flow. I'm considering an ECU flash to wrap it all together and that should do it for my 2.7 .

My Cayman gave me some huge smiles this afternoon after a beautiful ride in the Virginia foothills

good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
574 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Careful about the exhaust choice. Fabspeed is nice but I cant stand any drone sound. It's just so annoying.
The only real alternative I have found with ZERO drone sound is the expensive Armytrix F1 Exhaust - never had a better exhaust. Also comes with a remote to open / close the valves.

Regarding tuning on a budget, I'd go for a racing plenum first and a possible ECU flash if it fits your budget.

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
for a no drone setup and the best value for your dollar IMO and personal experience is Fabspeed catless headers and softronic flash -it will feel and sound like a different motor and ZERO drone .you should get about 30 more HP with these 2 . I tried it and it worked :) my personal experience is the plenum doesn't do as much on the 2.7 and the 2.9 liter motors for whatever reason its all about the Headers .good luck and enjoy the ride

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
think about suspension adjust -- drop the ride height 20 mm and things get more fun...coil overs even better (e. PSS9's) 245 hp is plenty with a good suspension set up.. IMO
S

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I have a 987-2 2.9L, so my thoughts might not apply here. At least on the 987-2, the base and S both share the same headers and exhaust. Not sure if that applies to 987.1. My point is - if that exhaust-side can handle either 2.9L or the larger 3.4L displacement output, then the best bang-for-the-buck is on the input side. That means performance air filter and plenum. Not sure if de-snork is worth the trouble.

I've already added a Fabspeed MaxFlow exhaust mainly for looks (dual tips) and sound, any performance boost was gravy. Then I added a BMC filter - the butt dyno results are inconclusive. So I'm thinking plenum is where I'll notice some real improvement. Any thoughts/rebuttal to my theory?

·
Banned
3,496 Posts
RSchwerer. IMO It's all about the catless headers .I have tried several setups and just the catback plenum and flash was a good feel .it's was the Fabspeed catless headers that woke up the motor from the little engine that could to the little engine that was alive and fast!!! Then combined with the Sachs clutch and Aasco LWFW all I can say is ..Amazing difference.. in head to head street races against a stock S model with short shifter my car was 1/2 car length ahead to 100 MPH . Iam happy with that

1 - 12 of 12 Posts