Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a base Cayman and I can't find any details about this car on Porsche's US website. I did a lot of searches and found a couple of specs such as a smaller engine than a CS and 50 less HP, 5spd instead of 6spd, black calipers instead of red etc. BUT I need furtherdetails such as...

are these brakes smaller? cross drilled? i dun really care about the color :eek:) and most of all I want to know about the suspension. Is there a difference with the S and base? if there is, please explain

If anyone has a link to a professional review about the base Cayman please link it here thanks!

I just sold my 01 M3 and I would like to join this crew :eek:)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Brakes are marginally smaller, and crossed-drilled. The sway bars are 1 mm smaller. Suspension design/parts are identical.

Really, main differences are in engine displacement (HP), one less gear, and 17' standard wheels. The rest are minimal. However, best way to judge is still to drive them on the same route back-to-back.

Might want to run a search on this forum. There are quite a few threads (some earlier) talking about the base Cayman. I think MPollard had a chart putting the known specs side-by-side here somewhere.

Good luck.

CP

·
Registered
263 Posts
The Base Cayman isn't bad at all. The 5 speed transmission takes a little more work than the 6 speed, but it isn't enough to say 'that sucks'. If you opt for the PASM (suspension option) you will get the 6 speed transmission in the Base Cayman.

If this car is going to be daily driven, or if you like to listen to music while driving, the standard sound system in the base Cayman is worse than two tin cans and a rope. Sound Package Plus is one of those options that's an 'at least' in this car.

Some people may tell me I'm crazy, but I feel the effects of Sport Chrono more in the Base Cayman - it makes that motor feel much quicker.

You probably already know this, but when you pose questions on a forum of enthusiasts & owners, you're going to get all kinds of answers. Some answers may be just the thing to help you in your decision while others may throw you through a loop. Regardless of what you may read and what others' opinions are, the Cayman is a great car - even the Basest of the Base Caymans. Think of the difference between the Cayman and the Cayman S as the difference between a basic E46 M3 and a ZCP (Competition Package) M3 with about 30 more hp.

Edited by - Poindexter on 08/11/2006 05:13:53 AM

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have to disagree with your statement about the Sound system, I have be driving a friends for the last two days and it has the standard sound system and I was amazed at how good it is compared to an earlier boxster model i use to drive with the standard system. The standard system that was on the old boxster model was poor but the system in the cayman is a big improvement in fact I have heard both the standard and the sound system upgrade and I could hardly tell the difference.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else also has the same view!

Regards

Simon

·
Registered
336 Posts
i have the standard system and to be honest ,it sucks . turn it up to 23 and thats about it ,anything more and it distorts ,i will be looking for an upgrade and ipod connection as soon as it is available. the base system doesn't have the rear speakers either .

·
Administrator
34,485 Posts
i have the standard system and to be honest ,it sucks . turn it up to 23 and thats about it ,anything more and it distorts ,i will be looking for an upgrade and ipod connection as soon as it is available. the base system doesn't have the rear speakers either .

That's not true, I have the base stereo in my Cayman S and it has rear speakers and you can see photos of them in the Article where the rear plastic pieces were taken out to be painted.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The base stereo in the Cayman S is the Sound Package Plus (7 speakers as the brochure states) - the base system in the Base Cayman is an entirely weaker animal - I think it is only two door speakers using the head unit amps.

Cayman S: upgrade is the Bose Suround Sound System

Base Cayman: upgrades are Sound Package Plus (standard on S) and then the Bose System.

Edited by - Poindexter on 08/11/2006 08:27:44 AM

·
Registered
259 Posts
FYI- A little known fact..... The base Boxster 'black' brakes actually stop the Boxster in less distance than the Boxster S with the'Red' brakes. This is due to weight.....and brake 'Overkill' :)

No joke.

·
Registered
97 Posts
IMO, the Cayman environment is just not suited to music listening whichever system you have. Because of this I did not spend extra money on a Bose system (chose to use the money elsewhere)and have been relativelysatisfied with the standard set up. I really think you would need headphones to achieve a superior music listening experience driving our car. Besides, I like hearing the engine better than any music I can think of.

·
Registered
13 Posts
'FYI- A little known fact..... The base Boxster 'black' brakes actually stop the Boxster in less distance than the Boxster S with the'Red' brakes. This is due to weight.....and brake 'Overkill' :)'

The additional size of the S brakes over the non-S has nothing to do with shortening the stopping distance. The size is there to better dissapate heated from repeated high(er) speed stops.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The base stereo in the Cayman S is the Sound Package Plus (7 speakers as the brochure states) - the base system in the Base Cayman is an entirely weaker animal - I think it is only two door speakers using the head unit amps.

I was wrong - here are the exact specs on the different STANDARD sound systems:

Base Cayman: CDR-24 AM/FM/CD radio 2x25 watt with 4 loudspeakers

Cayman S: CDR-24 AM/FM/CD radio with Sound Package Plus, 180 watt with 9 loudspeakers

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i have several caymans, still have two.

one has standard stereo one has bose, they both sound like [email protected], i just turn them off and stump on the throttle all day.

if you come out from e46m3, you will find cayman very very very slow. but it will outhandle the bmw pig, yes, i had the pig before.

·
Registered
263 Posts
if you come out from e46m3, you will find cayman very very very slow. but it will outhandle the bmw pig, yes, i had the pig before.

I don't know about that. I currently drive a E46 M3 (10lb flywheel, weight reduction, and programming) and I do find the off-the-line acceleration faster in the M3. When you take the two cars to 60 MPH I would say they are very close to equal. It is tougher to feel the acceleration in the Cayman S due to better refinement.

·
Registered
259 Posts
'FYI- A little known fact..... The base Boxster 'black' brakes actually stop the Boxster in less distance than the Boxster S with the'Red' brakes. This is due to weight.....and brake 'Overkill' :)'

The additional size of the S brakes over the non-S has nothing to do with shortening the stopping distance. The size is there to better dissapate heated from repeated high(er) speed stops.

Umm. Yes I know that. I was just stating a fact about everyday panic stops. Most people think just because it is an 'S' and has bigger red brakes,it stops faster and in a shorter distance than the 'base' model, which is not the case.Nowafter a 30 min race (which most people would never do), that would be a different story.ThePorsche brake 'Overkill' has been going on a long timewhich is great.The turbo brakes are rated to stop a car4 times the weight.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i am comparing e46m3 to cayman base.

<blockquote id="quote">quote:<hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" />

<hr id="quote" noshade="noshade" height="1" />

I don't know about that. I currently drive a E46 M3 (10lb flywheel, weight reduction, and programming) and I do find the off-the-line acceleration faster in the M3. When you take the two cars to 60 MPH I would say they are very close to equal. It is tougher to feel the acceleration in the Cayman S due to better refinement.
</blockquote>

·
Registered
764 Posts
My dealer told me today that he took the Base Cayman out for a spin and thought it had a blown engine, so he 'limped' it back and drove it into the service bay.

It wasn't blown - it was just 'that slow' as he put it. 'You wouldn't believe how much difference 50 HP makes', he said...

Paul

1 - 20 of 41 Posts