Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a new 987 owner (2006, 47,000 miles) and no mechanic by any means, but I'm used to doing basic stuff on my own cars and motorcycles:

Oil and filter changes
transmission fluid change
air filter [done]
other basic fluids, brakes, power steering, etc.
valve adjustments (pretty easy on a BMW boxer)

As I say, pretty basic stuff.

What else should I be able to do myself on this car?
And more importantly, what are the other areas to watch out for and have a Porsche dealer do, in terms of routine maintenance?

It looks like the only complication with the Boxster S is access to the engine and low ground clearance. Guess I have to invest in some ramps.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Check the articles section, it has detailed instructions for doing most common tasks (and many uncommon ones too) ;)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well you can forget about valve adjustment, the Cayman doesn't require/need it. You can add belt replacement to the list, not bad and ApexL8 has a complete instruction guide on this job. Replacing the battery when it comes time is easy, and you've hit on most other regular maintenance jobs, the Cayman is pretty reliable and with that list you're pretty well set. Cabin filter is also easy to change. I wish it had a fuel filter but that is inside the tank, so its not on the list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.