Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,
A question, car is due in a week or so (yeah!), bought battery tender, from what I read center console cigarette lighter is desired/most common plug in. Was planning on a 7 day time so it runs a few days a week, now the question: do you take the wires out the window and leave open a little, or just close the door and let the weather stripping flex around the cord?
thanks

·
Vendor
6,504 Posts
Hi ,
A question, car is due in a week or so (yeah!), bought battery tender, from what I read center console cigarette lighter is desired/most common plug in. Was planning on a 7 day time so it runs a few days a week, now the question: do you take the wires out the window and leave open a little, or just close the door and let the weather stripping flex around the cord?
thanks
Just make sure the wire is flat and not twisted and close the door. there is plenty of gap. But for 7 days you don't really need charger...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I think he meant a 7 day timer, not 7 days storage.

With a proper battery tender like the Ctek that Porsche recommends, there is no need for an on-off timer. It will properly float the battery without over charging. For long term storage, I think it's probably best not to latch any of the deck lids or doors tightly. Closing to just the first click of the latch will cause less compression set of the gaskets. That's my philosophy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have my wire coming through the window and have the window fully shut. Once a week I'll move it to a no location but don't see any sign the gasket is indented.
It was set-up like this last winter and this one. My usual concern is the tires, in extreme cold the air pressure goes down.

Also, don't be surprised to find the car's electric/electronic system in hibernation. Last year while on the charger the door wouldn't unlock. I assumed a low or dead battery. Opened with a key all was normal. Seems the car conserves energy with a "deep-sleep" mode after a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
They go into 'sleep mode' after seven days. After this period of time, it can be overcome by lifting the door handle and then using the remote in the usual manner.
True, but after doing that I've read the alarm will sound unless you use the button on the remote to then unlock the doors, or do I have that wrong?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
True, but after doing that I've read the alarm will sound unless you use the button on the remote to then unlock the doors, or do I have that wrong?
So long as you lift the door handle with the car still locked that brings it out of sleep mode, you then use the remote to unlock/disarm the vehicle in the usual way.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Couple more things for long term storage. Watch out for rodents and other critters. In Wisconsin I stored my 944 in a rented barn space one winter and something chewed the hell out of my rubber hoses and plug wires. Probably rats. After that I left rodent traps around and under it. Then after moving to Louisiana, had a damned opossum roost by the engine while eating cat food at night in the garage. And he/she chewed and scratched a bunch of damage. So after that experience, I put lots of rodent traps under and around, and put opened boxes of mothballs around under the hood.
Fortunately, now that we retired to Central FL, long term storage is no longer necessary.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Just run a plug to the battery. Store it when not in use. I have mine loosely zip tied to the cover. When I charge it, I just run the wire between the frunk and windshield and close the frunk. Simple, easy, and clean.

Attachments

Reactions: Rafiki

·
Registered
311 Posts
They go into 'sleep mode' after seven days. After this period of time, it can be overcome by lifting the door handle and then using the remote in the usual manner.
...And I believed I read (almost) everything about the 981 - Always learning, I guess... :)

Just as a side note - How can someone manage being far away from a 981 for SEVEN days?! :crazy:

Reactions: Lime-Gold

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi ,
thanks
I run the cord through a slightly opened window and lock the car, which is supposed to shut down some power-draining systems that stay active with the car unlocked. It may not be necessary, but it makes me feel better!

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
Just run a plug to the battery. Store it when not in use. I have mine loosely zip tied to the cover. When I charge it, I just run the wire between the frunk and windshield and close the frunk. Simple, easy, and clean.

+1 on this setup. Easy to install and simple to use. No cable pinching in door seals, no open windows or open hoods.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I don't like doors shut tight for winter storage. Rubber gaskets take a compression set if compressed long enough. Use the winter storage as an opportunity to extend the life of those gaskets. Just close to the first click of the latch. That's what I did when doing winter storage, and my 944 gaskets were still fat and fresh after 15 years.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I don't like doors shut tight for winter storage. Rubber gaskets take a compression set if compressed long enough. Use the winter storage as an opportunity to extend the life of those gaskets. Just close to the first click of the latch. That's what I did when doing winter storage, and my 944 gaskets were still fat and fresh after 15 years.
I think your theory is akin to snapping your fingers daily to keep tigers away. Winter storage or daily use, all seals (doors, frunk, trunk) remain shut for 99.95% of the life of any car.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I think your theory is akin to snapping your fingers daily to keep tigers away. Winter storage or daily use, all seals (doors, frunk, trunk) remain shut for 99.95% of the life of any car.
Not so. First storage for 4 months/yr in Wisconsin. Then, when you have a beater, you drive the beater to work most days. So we are down to using the Porsche maybe 90 days a year. That's only 25%, which means around 4 times life extension of door and lid gaskets, looking at compression set only.

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
Not so. First storage for 4 months/yr in Wisconsin. Then, when you have a beater, you drive the beater to work most days. So we are down to using the Porsche maybe 90 days a year. That's only 25%, which means around 4 times life extension of door and lid gaskets, looking at compression set only.
Please explain this math because I am totally lost.

I don't care if you store the car for 20 years. If you drove the car for 20 years, and used it every day, within a 24 hour period, how many minutes would the doors be open?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
You probably did not read what I said earlier. If you leave the door closed to the first latch click it does not fully smash the gasket. Therefore you don't get the compression set that does the gasket in after a period of time.
Compression set is a function.of compression, time, and temperature. Basic materials engineering 101. Got it?

·
Super Moderator
13,989 Posts
You probably did not read what I said earlier. If you leave the door closed to the first latch click it does not fully smash the gasket. Therefore you don't get the compression set that does the gasket in after a period of time.
Compression set is a function.of compression, time, and temperature. Basic materials engineering 101. Got it?
So you are saying that the gaskets will be damaged over time from use and to use the storage time to not have them compressed as much.

OK, how long is that time from on a modern Porsche (not one 30 years old). I had my 987 8 years and the gaskets were fine.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts