Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a completely dead battery in my 2003 Boxster S. In the past, I have been able to connect my battery charger to the positive terminal in the fuse box and immediately pop the hood without issue. The key is not stuck in the ignition either. I have tried everything from trickle charging, to 40A rapid charging, to plain old jump starting (charger can go up to a 200A jump start)- just to be able to open the front trunk and get to the battery. Still nothing. Dead cell battery?

What are my options at this point? Is there any way to manually get the hood opened - or another possible option? Looking for some direction - thanks!
:helpme:

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Yes you can open the hood manually, instructions are in the driver manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I figured that you probably could. Unfortunately, the doggone manual is in the rear trunk! Any suggestions or instructions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
IIRC there's a thread here on that. Can't check at the moment but I believe there's a cable under the LH wheel well liner. Remove the liner and pull.

If you can't crawl over the seat to get the manual I'd suggest looking for the thread. As I recall the cable isn't real obvious even with the liner removed. Which is of course more fun with the tire in place. Then too I could have my left and right mixed up.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I found this on another posting. Hope it helps.....

Ok Guys, Thanks for the help. I figured it out.

Santa Fe: Thanks. I read that post also. But people on it seemed to discount it and say it couldn't be. Just another case of people making assumptions without taking anything apart themselves I guess.

Schwabe: I searched in the articles section for all the key words but found nothing.

Here goes: (Maybe you can link this to the Articles section for future reference)

First, lift up the car.
Take off the left front wheel.
Remove the inner fender liner towards the front of the car. (T-25 torx and 10mm socket)

Then you will see this:

The little tiny wire tag is the manual release:

Pull this out, you should get about a foot of wire out of the grommit. I used a small adjustable wrench, clamped down on the bitter end and wrapped it around the handle of the wrench to get some leverage. You have to pull like heck, but after a while the hood will open I swear.

And just to let you know. There is no way that someone could just come up to your car and open the hood with this method in the parking lot. If, somehow, they could get their hand around the wheel and cut the fender liner. The wire requires so much force on it you really have to use a tool and both hands. No way you're doing that without it up in air.

HTH

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Yes that's the one! I just hope I never have to resort to this.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
The catch 22 in all of this is that the key needed to remove the wheel is probably in the front trunk that you need to remove the wheel to open.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The catch 22 in all of this is that the key needed to remove the wheel is probably in the front trunk that you need to remove the wheel to open.
If you can jack the car up high enough and put the steering on full lock tehre may be enough space to get at it.

Definately sounds like a dead cell or possibly even two as the voltage has dropped so low that you can't even pop the hood. Once you release the hood then get a hydrometer and check your battery just to be sure and confirm the issue....i mean it will only set you back a 10 bucks or so and is easy to use and read and gives you a piece of mind before replacing the battery.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts