Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
was garaged for the past 2½-3 weeks(southern-midwest region) … tried starting the car, but no go(engine wouldn't turn over).

usual procedure, after driving car, is to shut off the stereo/climate-control-system. upon exiting vehicle, turn key to right for locking. after one week, the remote will go into standby … after two weeks the battery will power-down most functions(to sustain it's own life). all this is according to the manual.

next time, prior to entering car, turn key to left … and then click button-one on remote to turn off alarm.

this particular time, when inserting key to start ignition, additional lights on instrument-panel lit up. error-message from on-board-computer-display alerting about the ABS and PSM. engine wouldn't turn over … audible "click" every second … drivings lights on/off every second … driver-window rolled down one inch in unison with the driving-lights. also, a barely audible "click" every second behind the glove-box. turning off the ABS/PSM in the on-board-computer-display yielded no better results. turned key all the way to left as a "reset" … waited ten seconds and tried again … no change.

i've never had problem with the ABS and PSM … the car has approximately 45k miles on the odometer … i'd wager to say the battery is OEM. does it sound like i've let the battery run down too far, so the engine will not turn over? could the low battery be indicative of the ABS/PAM warnings?

if i disconnect the battery and bring it to the dealer for them to recharge … will i have to adjust all the different settings in the on-board-computer-display upon reconnecting battery?

i have att'd a snapshot of how my instrument cluster appeared … thanks for all the interest.

Attachments

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
Please read about battery life on here. Measure your voltage of the battery. That'll give you a clue what to do next.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Your battery is dead and LONG over due to replace. Don't bother trying to charge it. It's dead and gone. Buy a replacement and put it in. Then return the dead one to the place of purchase for your turn in rebate. Most here have not had to reset anything except their clocks. Other things affected reset on their own within minutes of driving away with a new battery. And, there must be dozens of "dead battery" threads. Search is your friend.:cheers:

·
Registered
825 Posts
In case you haven't done it yet, pop your frunk without delay. Hopefully you still have enough in the battery to do it. Otherwise it can be quite the headache getting access to the battery.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
And get the Ctek charger Porsche uses and use it often. I use mine anytime I clean our work on mine while offering the radio, and leave it inn til it days the battery is fully charged. Most batteries could live a lot longer if treated properly. The Ctek charger can often fix a sulfated battery and use of it could certainly prevent premature sulfation.

·
PCA Member and DE Instructor
3,078 Posts
I use mine anytime I clean our work on mine while offering the radio, and leave it inn til it days the battery is fully charged. Most batteries could live a lot longer if treated properly. The Ctek charger can often fix a sulfated battery and use of it could certainly prevent premature sulfation.

No flame, but are you typing this while watching ncaa bb in a bar and getting distracted?

:hilarious:

·
Registered
202 Posts
My 2 cents. If you are going to be away longer than a month, get yourself a trickle charger. I've used one of these cheap ones from Harborfreight. Automatic Battery Charger - 12V I leave my Cayman for 3+ months every summer in a non a/c garage in Cave Creek AZ and its never been an issue. I run it on a timer and charge it from around 8:00pm to 5:00am, out of the heat of the day.

Talking of cheap if you do need a new battery, look at Walmart. They are made by Johnson Controls, have a 3 or more year warranty (depending on which part of the country you are in). Many will question putting a 'cheap' battery in an expensive car, but from my experience, I've never had any issues with Wallyworld JC batteries in my other cars, Lexus, Ridgeline etc. Machog

·
Super Moderator
13,942 Posts
And get the Ctek charger Porsche uses
I suggest you do not buy the Porsche charger. This is the current Charge-o-mat II Boxster & Tequipment Porsche Charge-o-mat II battery charger-Niello Porsche-Rocklin Porsche Dealer-Sacramento Porsche It is way overpriced and I believe not suitable for AGM batteries. I know this is the 987 section but there is no point in buying technology not suitable for AGM. This is the equivalent at about half the price and 3.3 Amps Amazon.com: CTEK (56-158) MULTI US 3300 12-Volt Battery Charger: Automotive and this is this updated version at 4.3 Amps Amazon.com: CTEK (56-864) MUS 4.3 12-VoltBattery Charger: Automotive

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first off … kudos for everyone's input to my plight … am happy to say all ended well. dropped in at walmart and picked up a pair of jumpers … the cayman sprang to life after 2½-3 minutes of jumping … using a 2002-honda-civic and 12ft-8g cables. the christmas lights in the instrument-cluster disappeared very quickly.

snuck outta' the garage and drove her for 25 miles … pulled into the driveway and decided a wash was in order. two hours later, after spit-shining the last wheel … tried to park it in the garage, but engine didn't turn over.

next morning headed over, once again, to walmart and picked up a schumacher charger/maintainer. hooked up the package … 4½-5 hours later, the indicator on the unit metamorphosed from "charging" to "maintaining" … and breathed a tentative sigh of relief. disengaged the unit from the 25ft extension cord … and engine roared back from the after-life.

anything harmed? since i couldn't take the cayman around the block to dry off the disc-brakes … a slight layer of rust accumulated within that 36-48 hour time-period. aside from that … the digital-clock in the instrument-cluster lost it's time-set. everything else works just as it should … even the garage-door opener which i had programmed the first day i pulled her into the garage.

chows4us … appreciate your thoughts … the model i chose was schumacher's se8 model … walmart offered it to me for $36.97. this unit has twin functions … either as 8amp charger or as 2amp maintainer*(trickle-charge) … automatically. thanks also for sharing that validated ctek option.

Machog … sound opinion … never even entered mind about utilizing a timer for charging. and, yes … i was considering walmart's everstart-h17 as a replacement battery. unfortunately, if i understand correctly … this particular unit does not offer a vent-clip.

PCA1983 … i've always advised my friends to go oem … being a hypocrite, i went with 3rd party hardware … crap! and, from here on forward, i will try becoming a more responsible battery-abuser. btw … for anyone still reading … the se8 unit offers a "desulfation" mode.

1028Caymn … you right about maintaining access to the front-trunk … thankfully, i remembered that when reviewing the manual … shortly after taking delivery from the porsche dealership. no doubt, your reminder will help others dropping in to see what all this commotion was about.

Budman … i had to attempt resurrecting the oem battery … thankfully, she's still got some energy left inside her.

amdeutsch, in hindsight … think i will drop by auto-zone or pep-boys to have them check out the oem-battery's overall health … just wary they could inadvertently mess up something along the way.

again … thanks for everyone's participation … and maintain safety while driving these classics.

* microprocessor-controlled.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Good for you!

You probably did it already, but checking the oem battery with distilled water is important. The water vents out and so shortens battery life.

You may be near the end of the oem battery life at 7 years or so.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
As has been said above, cheap Schumacher battery tenders work just fine and there's no reason to get the expensive Porsche charger. The cheap Schumachers also have no problem with the fancy new batteries in 981s designed to handle the extra load of the start/stop function (for those who use it).

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have the 6 A Schumacher and I like the 4.3 A Ctek better because of the 3 different adapters, the rubber bumper, and 8' extension cord included in the $99 Amazon deal.

And it's my SWYPE dictionary that makes my posts read crazy (altho I think I did maybe have a couple of brewskis on that one above) It's hard to edit in the small text box on an Android phone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
update!

though the schumacher did charge the battery enough to start the car immediately afterward … a few days later, not enough energy available (as budman predicted). was time to replace the battery … went with the everstart-maxx-h7 from walmart.

nice battery, really! date-of-battery was 03-2015 … turns out, fits securely into the cavity the former oem previously occupied … almost seems as though it was designed for the porsche. from the ridge going along the bottom edge … even allows for the vent-hose, which fits snugly. no doubt others will find this info helpful.

as with the owner's manual … connections were simple … reminder for others to connect terminals backward from disconnecting. upon starting, the psm went on momentarily … driving outta' my garage, the psm satisfied itself and promptly disappeared … no other lights displayed on instrument-panel. even the garage-door opener still remembered it's code.

again, really appreciated everyone's support in this message board … this obdurate old man will pay it forward by offering advice to others. suffice it to say … owning a porsche can be extremely humbling … weekend greets to all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts