Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that I need a battery charger/maintainer for my 2014 Boxster, which will be stored in my garage for about 5 or 6 months this winter. The Porsche branded one seemed a little pricey so I checked out the CTEK website and found several models at about half the price. So I sent a message to CTEK asking what model is best for my specific car. The email that I received from them said: "We recommend the Porsche branded charger which is available through your local Porsche dealership." I was surprised that this was the response since they sell the device themselves. Is there any difference between CTEK products and the one Porsche sells that makes it worth spending almost twice as much on what should be a simple device? Or is it that CTEK supplies Porsche with the Porsche branded device also and they get a bigger markup from that product? Thanks for all advice.

·
Registered
35 Posts
PorscheBill: I have used these for years and never a fail to start. My 2014 BS has one anytime it sits for more than a week. And, all winter. Never failed me yet. Has original battery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
I know that I need a battery charger/maintainer for my 2014 Boxster, which will be stored in my garage for about 5 or 6 months this winter. The Porsche branded one seemed a little pricey so I checked out the CTEK website and found several models at about half the price. So I sent a message to CTEK asking what model is best for my specific car. The email that I received from them said: "We recommend the Porsche branded charger which is available through your local Porsche dealership." I was surprised that this was the response since they sell the device themselves. Is there any difference between CTEK products and the one Porsche sells that makes it worth spending almost twice as much on what should be a simple device? Or is it that CTEK supplies Porsche with the Porsche branded device also and they get a bigger markup from that product? Thanks for all advice.
The CTEK MUS3300 is the Porsche branded unit, I have it and a MUS4.3 and can give full recommendation to either for your longer term storage requirements. I have the MUS3300 mounted on the wall of the garage next to the passenger door, I plug it into the arm rest cig socket (easiest to reach through the window) every time I park the car, for a few days or even longer, never had a problem with a battery in any of my Boxsters over the years.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Porsche doesnt make battery maintainers. Its just a CTEK with a Porsche sticker on it and huge markup, so dont worry at all and get the CTEK

·
Registered
498 Posts
I use a cheap one - has worked just fine for years. It is possible CTEK, as manufacturers of the Porsche branded unit, has an agreement with Porsche to direct Porsche owners to the Porsche branded unit. It is also possible CTEK makes more money from a sale of the Porsche branded unit. Just guessing. The CTEK will work fine, or pretty much any maintainer made for the battery type you have.

·
Registered
35 Posts
You mention the CTEK unit "seemed a little pricey", and rightly so! Why spend $80 - $100 for a battery charger/maintainer that offers a 5 year warranty when you can get the Battery Tender Plus for half that amount? And it includes a 10 year warranty!

Great ratings for a charger/maintainer!

(y)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just replaced the official Porsche battery tender because it was giving flaky readings - sort of flashing both "charging" and "charged" lights at same time. Don't quite trust that. Bought the CTEK 7002, just installed it, and like it much better. Time will tell if it is more reliable but the reviews for it often mention that it's used by other happy Porsche owners. Every since I did the boneheaded move and left lights on for a week to kill battery, I'm happy with this simple insurance. I don't drive the car more than once/week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I contacted CTEK last year and they recommended their MXS 5.0 Battery Charger & Maintainer for my 2014 911. I used it this past summer while we were cruising New England on our boat. Worked fine, car started right up in November when we returned. Prior to that, I had used a Northern Tool $25 battery maintainer on my 2015 Cayman. After 2 summers, the battery in the Cayman was DEAD! The CTEK looks very similar to the Porsche Maintainer shown on various web sites and was about 25% less purchasing from CTEK. The MXS 5.0 has built in temperature sensing which I think is important when I'm keeping the car inside a garage in Florida during the summer...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I just replaced the official Porsche battery tender because it was giving flaky readings - sort of flashing both "charging" and "charged" lights at same time. Don't quite trust that. Bought the CTEK 7002, just installed it, and like it much better. Time will tell if it is more reliable but the reviews for it often mention that it's used by other happy Porsche owners. Every since I did the boneheaded move and left lights on for a week to kill battery, I'm happy with this simple insurance. I don't drive the car more than once/week.
I used a Battery Tender for 4-5 years, but it was a bit of a hassle since I had to pull the battery out of the car or run cables into the frunk. Replaced it with a Porsche branded maintainer a few years back which plugs into the cigarette lighter - much easier. Needed a second tender, so I bought a CTEK MUS 4.3 from Amazon and it worked fine for me last winter. If I needed another, I'd choose the CTEK because I like the light display better and it was less expensive.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
This is probably the third time I've posted this over many years. I have the 12V Schumacher maintainer and have been using it for 6 months continuously thru the Winter for the last 11 years. First battery lasted 7 years and even then it did not fail, just a little weak. Last I looked it was still available at most auto parts stores for under $30.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts