Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Porsche Boxster S Model w/PDK
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is my question, I'm going to replace the battery in my 2013 Boxster S next week in which the original will be 8 years old.

I have a tool in route so I can code the new battery myself. Porsche here wants roughly $350 for the OEM battery or I can get a Diehard for roughly $220 with a bit higher specs.
Will a battery with higher specs cause any problems? The Original is 12V 70 Ah 760A EN 2 year replacement and the Diehard will be 12V 80 Ah 850cca with 3 year replacement.

Any help or comments would be helpful, thanks all

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
No, it will be fine. The battery hold down bracket is adjustable if the battery is larger. I assume the new battery is AGM like the original? The coding will ask for a battery serial number which is only for the original Porsche battery warranty info, so just use the old battery numbers again, or some have reported being successful using all zeros as long as its the same amount of numbers as the original. Nothing else should change assuming you are replacing the battery with the same AGM type and not switching to lithium or lead acid. Many, myself included dont bother coding them at all as it doesnt seem to matter in the real world, especially if you dont use the auto start stop feature

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its an AGM battery as well, I plan on checking measurements as well.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Why not this one? I mean last I knew it was around $2,200. Comon you deserve a break today and that isn't going to be satisfied with a big mac. (hahaha) the one.jpg

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
138 Posts
No, it will be fine. The battery hold down bracket is adjustable if the battery is larger. I assume the new battery is AGM like the original? The coding will ask for a battery serial number which is only for the original Porsche battery warranty info, so just use the old battery numbers again, or some have reported being successful using all zeros as long as its the same amount of numbers as the original. Nothing else should change assuming you are replacing the battery with the same AGM type and not switching to lithium or lead acid. Many, myself included dont bother coding them at all as it doesnt seem to matter in the real world, especially if you dont use the auto start stop feature
I replaced my battery a couple of years ago with a larger Bosch 92 AH AGM battery and used the largest setting on the hold down bracket and did not initialize it until a year later when I purchased a iCarsoft POR V2.0. I do not recall if it asked me for both a serial number (if it did I probably used the original)and the part number. IIRC and checking my notes the part number I used was 9996109212 for my 92 AH battery. If you are upgrading from the original 70AH to a 80AH you would use 9996108012 for the part number. This supposedly lets the charging system know that you have increased battery capacity for the stop/start function and the regenerative braking function and also using the full capacity of the larger battery. It also asked if it is an AGM battery. As ICNU stated everything still works if you do not code the new battery but as long as you are doing it anyway you may as well code it for the larger battery.
Jim

·
Registered
31 Posts
My 2011 Boxster Spyder accepted this massive Bosche L5/49 Part 49-850bagm 850cca. Significant capacity upgrade. The battery tray had location for the retaining bracket bolt on one side and the other needed a 10m nut under the predrilled hole for the rod to secure. Very simple. And yeah, I know, I added 8 lbs to my sports car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok here is my question, I'm going to replace the battery in my 2013 Boxster S next week in which the original will be 8 years old.

I have a tool in route so I can code the new battery myself. Porsche here wants roughly $350 for the OEM battery or I can get a Diehard for roughly $220 with a bit higher specs.
Will a battery with higher specs cause any problems? The Original is 12V 70 Ah 760A EN 2 year replacement and the Diehard will be 12V 80 Ah 850cca with 3 year replacement.

Any help or comments would be helpful, thanks all
I just recently replaced my battery that I bought from Costco (H8) and it was plug and play no need to code to your car. It is a bit larger than OEM, but it fits in there. Battery brand is Interstate. I hope that helps and no issues none whatsoever.

·
Registered
12 Posts
As the battery in my Boxster is also approx. EOL I'm interested in this "coding". I fear not being able to start the car suddenly though it still did ok last week at -11°C.
Some say you have to code a new battery (or all hell brake loose?). Some say just hook it up to a charger while changing. Here kooljess writes that you can change it just on any other car.
What's the point? What happens if the stock battery dies (which should be similar to replacing it) - will the start/stop feature not work anymore?
Complicated world...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Some say you have to code a new battery (or all hell brake loose?). Some say just hook it up to a charger while changing. Here kooljess writes that you can change it just on any other car.
What's the point? What happens if the stock battery dies (which should be similar to replacing it) - will the start/stop feature not work anymore?
If a code is stored for a bad battery the car will limit things like stop/start, air conditioning, heated seats, etc. in an effort to save energy for engine starting. Adaptation / programming / coding is meant to tell the car "you have a new battery, no need to save power anymore"
If you replace the battery without doing this, the car will eventually figure it out on its own though after a few dozen engine starts.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Yep , one of the first signs of the battery aging out is start/stop will no longer be active when it typically would under the same circumstances, then eventually all sorts of other electrical gremlins and faults may show up. I replaced the batt on my own in my 981 and absolutely nothing happened as the power was down for only minutes. Its seems there is some sort of short term capacitance if you move quickly, but the worst that can happen is you need to reset the steering angle or the power windows which is an easy process. Many remove their batteries for Winter storage every year so its no big deal.

Be aware that placing the car on a tender may or may not do anything at all for you depending on your specific tender. Some like mine stop working if it no longer sees the battery connected, but some have a "supply" mode that can provide power even without a battery. Its a waste of time to connect it up if you dont have this capability.

My auto SS started working normally again in the short time I tested it as soon as I replaced the battery and I didn't code anything since I replaced my batt with the identical capacity and AGM type. I dont use auto SS ever, and disabling it on the 981 also disables the coasting/regenerative charging logic that goes along with it and my car has been just fine like many others for more than 2 years now since the swap.

Mine stays on a tender at all times when not in use, so it will be interesting to see how long this second battery last

·
Registered
2014 Cayman S
138 Posts
My 2011 Boxster Spyder accepted this massive Bosche L5/49 Part 49-850bagm 850cca. Significant capacity upgrade. The battery tray had location for the retaining bracket bolt on one side and the other needed a 10m nut under the predrilled hole for the rod to secure. Very simple. And yeah, I know, I added 8 lbs to my sports car.
I bought the same Bosch 92 AH battery ( see post #8 above) over 2 years ago at Pep Boys on sale and a discount code and another discount for a final price of $128. This was one of the few things for the car that I didn’t pay the “Porsche premium”.;)
Jim

·
Registered
204 Posts
Is it normal for the newer cars to have a battery that lasts 8 years. That's great! Too bad about the cost and hassle, though.

My primitive 987.1 is looking pretty good here! I don't wait until the battery dies. When the 5-year warranty expires I replace it; nothing different than changing the oil. Begin stuck somewhere (I still take the car camping in Yosemite!!!!) isn't worth the hassle. The last battery replacement: Call Pep Boys to verify battery is in stock (and the nice guys there have the battery waiting up at the checkout counter), drive to Pep Boys, buy $125 battery, install in their parking lot with just a wrench, write the month and year on a piece of tape and tape it to the battery, and return the old battery. Done in 30 minutes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've read (I forget where, may have been generic) about the importance of coding of replacement batteries on vehicles that require it. It is usually a requirement of cars with lots of electrical goodies. Aside from what has been written in the previous Posts, I wanted to add one thing that I learned. That the vehicle will moderate it's charging based on the age of the battery. Meaning, it will charge less in a new battery and more in a old battery thereby prolonging the life of the battery.

Side note: never jump such vehicles with the ground cable directly to the battery. Always place the ground to the frame somewhere. My 2016 981 CS has a post where the wipers swivel for grounding and it is marked for that. My two cents worth.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got my battery in, seems like it coded ok, just had to use 15 zeroes as the serial and the correct part number for the size battery I used. I have noticed I'm still in the 14 to 15 Volt range every day. Is this normal?? I took the car in for detail this morning and got a new Cayenne as a loaner and what do you know 13 Volts. Granted a newer vehicle but still. My start/stop now works since the replacement..

·
Registered
48 Posts

be helpful, thanks all
I also have a 2013 BS with original battery but it was time to change. Went to COSTCO and picked up an Interstate 94R/H7 AGM 80Ah 1,000 cca for $175 . Put my CTECK BATTERY TENDER in supply mode inserted in 12v outlet and changed battery with no recoding. Just worked

·
Registered
194 Posts
I also have a 2013 BS with original battery but it was time to change. Went to COSTCO and picked up an Interstate 94R/H7 AGM 80Ah 1,000 cca for $175 . Put my CTECK BATTERY TENDER in supply mode inserted in 12v outlet and changed battery with no recoding. Just worked
Costco sales rep told me they have a 3 year “no questions asked” guarantee.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I still don't understand why people that pay 35,40or 50k for a car with battery that lasted for 8 years wants to save $75 on a battery that will fail in 3 to 4 years.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts