Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Just because something cost more doesn’t automatically means it’s better.
Over the past 30 years, I've had interstate, diehard, Motorcraft and GM batteries, none have lasted more than 5 years, some as few as 3, most die (they can no longer start the car) between 3 and 4 years. Domestic American batteries suck!

Last summer, I replaced the original battery in my Cayman that had been in there since February, 2013, over 7 years, and it hadn't yet failed to start the car. I replaced on age alone.

So you will likely buy 2 batteries in the time I purchase 1, genuine, Porsche battery for not much more coin.

No, higher cost doesn't mean better, but lower cost doesn't mean equal either.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I still don't understand why people that pay 35,40or 50k for a car with battery that lasted for 8 years wants to save $75 on a battery that will fail in 3 to 4 years.
Not sure if this was aimed at me or not. But, buying a Costco battery means you will never have to buy another (if exchanged before the 3-year mark). TEHO.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Over the past 30 years, I've had interstate, diehard, Motorcraft and GM batteries, none have lasted more than 5 years, some as few as 3, most die (they can no longer start the car) between 3 and 4 years. Domestic American batteries suck!

Last summer, I replaced the original battery in my Cayman that had been in there since February, 2013, over 7 years, and it hadn't yet failed to start the car. I replaced on age alone.

So you will likely buy 2 batteries in the time I purchase 1, genuine, Porsche battery for not much more coin.

No, higher cost doesn't mean better, but lower cost doesn't mean equal either.
I would agree if I had the same experience as you, I would pay more for the OEM battery. However, that’s up to individual experiences.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
And keeping in mind the OEM for the Porsche batteries are the same that provide many of the other brands, just with a different sticker on them. Most auto batteries are all made in a small handful of factories worldwide. Those of you who believe that there is anything special at all about the overpriced Porsche battery vs one from Walmart are kidding yourselves. They are the exact same battery with a Porsche sticker on them just like the "Porsche" battery tender is an old version of the much cheaper CTEK device with a Porsche sticker on it.

Porsche isnt in the business of making batteries and outsources them from one of many third party lowest bidders that make all other battery brands. And just because someone happened to have one that lasted a few years longer than another is a meaningless single data point. It's common to get many years from a modern battery if taken care of properly, so that means nothing other than a nice anecdotal tale that can be shared by others regarding any other brand as well

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
There are only less than a handful of auto battery manufactures. They all rebrand the same product for the many retailers. Costco, Walmart, Interstate, Duracell, DieHard, etc. etc. All come from the same manufactures. And Costco even stopped rebranding and now sell Interstate. And, those same manufacturers make the different types, but mostly lead acid and AGM. Why pay more than one has too? I can't imagine unless you're Jeff Bezos or Bill Gates who wouldn't run out of money in a thousand years. I've run Walmart (EverStart brand) for 30 years on multiple cars. They last approximately 5-6 years or so (which is longer than the factory Porsche battery) and are the best deal around as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would agree if I had the same experience as you, I would pay more for the OEM battery. However, that’s up to individual experiences.
Yeah, our experience hasn't been the same as bigmoguls either. I think we've hit 7 years with most of ours. It's more like several hundred more for no real gain in our case.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You are correct, Sir! The stock batteries in the GT4 are underpowered, and highly unlikely to set any records for durability. Mine sure didn’t. Replaced it with a Continental with lots more kick. There is room in the battery tray for a significantly bigger battery than the original one. FWIW, My service guy told me that it’s best to replace a battery at the first indication of weakening, rather than risk damaging the alternator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'm having my original from 2013 replaced today by my Indie. I don't use SS, never had an issue with the original, and keep it on a tender all winter, but I'm way beyond the recommended interval so want to be on safe side. I will report name of replacement and cost after I pick the car up, but wanted to do this post as a place-holder.

Reactions: Oldboy

·
Registered
292 Posts
Indie replaced with a larger-cranking AGM, Duralast Platinum. $263 battery plus $60 labor. Less expensive than a $350 Porsche battery and Porsche labor. Did not require any battery coding. I am happy because I know it was done right. This car still roars like day 1; I have had zero issues with it in almost 8 years (although I have less than 20k on the clock and I'm sure that's part of reason. Only tracked it one weekend at Watkins Glen).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts