Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question may have already been addressed but I couldn't find it. I have a spare Battery Tender Plus battery maintainer. Is this okay to plug into the 12v outlet in the arm rest? I'm sure it would be fine to wire a connection directly to the battery but I would like the convenience of just plugging it in. Anyone else using one of these specific chargers? Thank you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's the approach I use for my 2009 Cayman as well. Battery Tender has an adapter to use for the cigarette lighter outlet. Much easier than trying to figure out how to close the bonnet with the alligator clips connected to the battery.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should work just fine. (IIRC, we had a group buy on those chargers a couple of years ago)
I started wondering if the Battery Tender Plus brand would work because I have a BMW motorcyle with a Canbus electronic system and BMW says it can't be used with the 12v outlet---only if wired directly to the battery.

·
Registered
434 Posts
This question may have already been addressed but I couldn't find it. I have a spare Battery Tender Plus battery maintainer. Is this okay to plug into the 12v outlet in the arm rest? I'm sure it would be fine to wire a connection directly to the battery but I would like the convenience of just plugging it in. Anyone else using one of these specific chargers? Thank you.
I use the battery tender JR and plug it into the socket in the center cigarette lighter plug. Have had no problems, battery has remained fully charged.
:burnout:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I started wondering if the Battery Tender Plus brand would work because I have a BMW motorcyle with a Canbus electronic system and BMW says it can't be used with the 12v outlet---only if wired directly to the battery.
Might be that the Lighter socket on the BMW bike is switched. Just a thought.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm using a CTek maintainer via the cigarette lighter socket in the arm rest. Has worked fine for several weeks to keep the battery up, and no problems that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just bought a CTEK 7002 w/ cigarette lighter socket adapter and am using it for the first time today - plugged into the cigarette lighter in the ash tray, not the power socket in the bin behind it, it appears to be working perfectly, progressively charging the battery for the past couple hours. Very nice device. Dave

·
Registered
750 Posts
I'm with Schwabe on this one. I know you must plug your air compressor into the cigarette lighter, but I do the same thing with my Ctek because it can take more current without blowing.

·
Registered
283 Posts
That's the way I use mine. The socket is on all the time.
It looks like my local dealer keeps his charged the same way. The cars on the floor are plugged in the same way.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the way I use mine. The socket is on all the time.
It looks like my local dealer keeps his charged the same way. The cars on the floor are pugged in the same way.
So--you are using the Battery Tender Plus brand?

·
Registered
283 Posts
So--you are using the Battery Tender Plus brand?
I'm using a Deltran 2 station battery Tender, I think it's a plus.
The Delatran can plug in different connectors - clips, plug or directly bolted on to the battery.
Have no idea what the dealer uses.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm using a Deltran 2 station battery Tender, I think it's a plus.
The Delatran can plug in different connectors - clips, plug or directly bolted on to the battery.
Have no idea what the dealer uses.
Great--thank you. Should be the same technology I have with the Plus model.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'd still love to know why the footwell outlet is not the same as the cigarette lighter outlet???
The cigarette outlet has a heavier fuse to run the tire inflation pump. The foowell outlet is for lighter loads, e.g. radar detector. Or so I have read.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts