Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -- the little battery compartment in my 987.2 (2010 Cayman base) doesn't give me a lot of options for attaching the negative clip.

What do you guys use?

BTW, I purchased the CTEK Multi US 3300 from Amazon and it appears to work great.

Marc

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Get the CTEK Power Cigarette Lighter Adapter. Plug into the port in the passenger footwell. (I think that's the right port. I haven't had a 987 in a while.) Run the wire out the passenger door and close the door. The wire will be fine. It won't crimp. Your car will be closed up against the elements.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I have both a lighter and a direct connect charger at two different locations. On the direct connection one I connect to the positive and negative terminals. These aren't battery chargers nor are they used as though you were jump starting the car. The power these "maintainers" put out is not a problem for a direct terminal connection and even the manufacturers do so when they demonstrate connections. Direct connection with these units will not hurt your car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all of you!! I was worried about the direct terminal connections since the user guide (yes, I read it) also stresses the connection to engine block.

The lighter adapter is brilliant! I just ordered one from Amazon. Any advantage to using the direct terminal connector vs. the lighter connector? The latter seems so much more convenient!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Get the CTEK Power Cigarette Lighter Adapter. Plug into the port in the passenger footwell. (I think that's the right port. I haven't had a 987 in a while.) Run the wire out the passenger door and close the door. The wire will be fine. It won't crimp. Your car will be closed up against the elements.
I have this with CTek 3300. Works flawlessly. Didn't want to be messing around with the battery at all.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Thanks to all of you!! I was worried about the direct terminal connections since the user guide (yes, I read it) also stresses the connection to engine block.

The lighter adapter is brilliant! I just ordered one from Amazon. Any advantage to using the direct terminal connector vs. the lighter connector? The latter seems so much more convenient!
The only benefit I can think of for direct terminal connector vs the lighter plug is if the car powers off some or all of the outlets. Not sure if Porsche is doing this or not. Worth making sure the one you use stays live.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Ctek plugged into the center console cig lighter has worked perfectly for the past 9 years.

Dan
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Here ya go....right from the CTEC web site. Italics and bolding are mine. As often is the case, they can't just say it because of the legal mumbo, jumbo that government approval processes require. Good luck.:cheers:

Q. Why do you have to connect negative to ground and not to the battery?
A. All CTEK chargers observe the directives that apply in the EU. All battery chargers whatever the brand must be approved in line with the same standards. Many more basic chargers can cause the battery to emit a significant amount of oxy-hydrogen gas and also generate a spark when connecting. This represents a major risk of injury and it is therefore stipulated that the first terminal should be connected away from the battery in order to reduce the risk. A CTEK charger is spark free, has a minimal amount of gassing and can therefore be connected directly to the battery. However, we do not recommend this for approval reasons.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
I've got the permanent connector at the battery terminals. I couldn't find any grounding point within wire length. Once it's connected there won't be any sparks. It's not as if you're attached jumper cables which will spark.

That scares me when I see people jump cars and not use proper grounding procedures.

Reactions: Budman

·
Registered
562 Posts
Ctek plugged into the center console cig lighter has worked perfectly for the past 9 years.
On my 981 (with entry and drive if that makes any difference) the connection between the center console cig lighter and the battery disconnects after a few minutes. The lighter connection in the glovebox does not time out and disconnect.

Batteries emit explosive gases, safer to keep sparks away. Avoid this by hooking up both battery terminals before plugging charger into the outlet. I prefer using the lighter adapter and run the wire out a slightly open window instead of crimping the weather seal.

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you put the car on a tender regularly, install the battery tender connector to the battery terminals, leave it there, and leave the pigtail end with the connector plug just inside the rear of the frunk hood. When you want to connect, just plug the power side into this connector. You probably don't even need to open the frunk to fish out the connector.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
If you put the car on a tender regularly, install the battery tender connector to the battery terminals, leave it there, and leave the pigtail end with the connector plug just inside the rear of the frunk hood. When you want to connect, just plug the power side into this connector. You probably don't even need to open the frunk to fish out the connector.
Exactly what I did :)

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Nice one Eddie just ordered mine!

·
Registered
381 Posts
I got my CTek 3300 w/cigarette lighter adapter and various other accessories for about $50 on Amazon.

Sent from my StarTrek communicator using Tapatalk

·
Registered
324 Posts
Its got a lot of accessories with it.

My Ducati bike came with a trickle charger already wired in, connected at the battery, with a quick connector.
The trick with the permanently wired in connector is to have a rubber plug over the end, just in case it is somewhere where dust, water or grime could get on it.
On a bike thats important - could still be useful on a car depending on where the connector ends up.

And as others said - no harm directly connecting to the battery terminals if its permanently wired (and obviously not connected to the charger while installing it!)

·
Registered
474 Posts
STLPCA - love the tag. I'm on a GT4 waiting list. Just checked and the "GT4" tag *is* available in my state! It's sure to be a jinx if I go ahead and get it...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts