Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I store my Cayman during the winter months in an underground garage. The battery maintainer is out of question since the nearest plug is 200 ft. away.
In oder to keep the battery charged once every 3 weeks, I have 3 options:
1. Drive around in the garage for 15 to 20 minutes; pros: I got a chance to drive, change the tires' flat spots, cons: polluting the garage
2. Drive the 200 ft., plug in a charger for an hour, drive back to my spot;
pros: no pollution, change flat spots, cons: 2 cold starts
3. Drive another car in and hook up the booster cables just to charge the
Cayman's battery for 15 to 20 minutes; pros: no cold starts, cons: polluting, flat spot the tires
So what will you do? :thanks:

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
I'm not sure driving around the garage 15-20 minutes actually does much as far as keeping the battery charged.

In the garage, would you be able to leave your hood unlatched? If so, I would take the battery out and bring it inside and maybe hook it up to a battery tender but that depends on how long winter is. Now, if the lid does end up being locked, there is a manual way to open it (kind of a pain but good back up plan).

As for the flat spotting of tires, I've seen ads for something called the 'tire cradle' (not sure about the exact name) but it supposedly helps with preventing flat spotting of tires.

Good luck!
-Moto

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You could take the battery out of the car and put it in your residence. At that point you could hook up a battery tender. If you go that route you might want to get a lighter weight battery at the same time or cancel your gym membership.

To solve the pollution problem have you considered a Prius? While the Cayman is in hibernation you could put the Cayman brakes on the Prius:hilarious:

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Four or five, 50 foot extension cords would seem to be the most practical solution.

Yo may wish to talk with the service department. The car monitors everything for about 5 days, then goes into standby mode, whereupon, you must unlock the door with the key inserted in the lock and then activate the electronics again. the standby mode is to prevent discharge of the battery.

Maybe, they can set it to kick into that mode after a much shorter period of time ...

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Four or five extension cords would be my suggestion too. The battery tender is a very low current draw device so 200 ft of wire ought to be OK. I would definately not do any of the other alternatives.

As a last resort, remove the battery and put it on a maintainer.

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
. . . 2. Drive the 200 ft., plug in a charger for an hour, drive back to my spot;
pros: no pollution, change flat spots, cons: 2 cold starts
. . .
Well, if you can't actually park any closer to an outlet, I would do #2 - the "cold starts" aren't a big deal IMO.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, guys.

I'll drive the 200 ft., charge the battery and drive back to my spot for these reasons:
The mother-in-law's underground garage is shared and they won't allow extension cords.
I rather lock evrything and have the alarm on.

I'll try to convince the Mrs. that we don't need a bigger house, just a house with more garages. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys.

I'll drive the 200 ft., charge the battery and drive back to my spot for these reasons:
The mother-in-law's underground garage is shared and they won't allow extension cords.
I rather lock evrything and have the alarm on.

I'll try to convince the Mrs. that we don't need a bigger house, just a house with more garages. :cheers:
That's fine but your battery is not going to last very long doing this and charging for an hour with a regular retail charger will not fully charge the battery. You would probably need 6 hours or more.

I would also suggest you read and understand the procedure for getting into your locked car which has a dead battery because you will probably need to use it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Perhaps you can try to open the hood manually. Assuming you have a manual hood release, and it is a metal wire, and unlikely to break due to repeated use, you could disconnect the battery when the car is not in use for an extended period of time.

As for the tires - /shrug... roll the car a few feet forward or backward I guess now and then.

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,755 Posts
Leaving it for 3 weeks without a tender will be fine. Just give it at least 3 hours charge on the day you take it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts