Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our Version 2 987/997 and our 996/997 Turbo Underdrive pulleys are $214.95 for the holidays, normally $249.95 sale ends 12/31/09
The 987 v2 Underdrive Pulley fits Gen 1 987 3.2L and 3.4L and Gen 1 997 3.6L engines and the Turbo pulley fits on 996 and 997 turbos.

For questions and orders please call 714.843.0200 or email [email protected]

BBI Autosport, Huntington Beach, California

987 V2 Pulley (left) Turbo Pulley (right)

·
Crusin worlds most isolated city
3,758 Posts
How about a UDP for 987 Gen 2? Im after one.
Will you be offering a slightly shorter Serpentine belt to suit for those who what that as well?

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
Benfits? Gains? Disadvantages?
I don't know about Gen 2 987s, but on the Gen 1 Caymans, some people have experienced power steering pump failures when running on the track at sustained high RPMs due to overheating of the pump and PS fluid/lines.

The idea of the underdrive pulley (UDP) is that it will reduce the demands on the PS pump at high engine RPMs, hopefully preserving it. It also theoretically reduces the load on the engine slightly (any power increase probably not noticable).

IMO, the main drawback, at least on the Gen 1 engines, is that you have to cut-off the main crank timing boss (see this Article: Underdrive Pulley - Articles) in order to accomodate the new pulley . . . an irreversible mod that some of us aren't keen on doing to an engine still under warranty (which is why my UDP is still sitting in a box in my garage).

I don't know if all this applies to the Gen 2 engines or not (though I suspect it does).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know about Gen 2 987s, but on the Gen 1 Caymans, some people have experienced power steering pump failures when running on the track at sustained high RPMs due to overheating of the pump and PS fluid/lines.

The idea of the underdrive pulley (UDP) is that it will reduce the demands on the PS pump at high engine RPMs, hopefully preserving it. It also theoretically reduces the load on the engine slightly (any power increase probably not noticable).

IMO, the main drawback, at least on the Gen 1 engines, is that you have to cut-off the main crank timing boss (see this Article: Underdrive Pulley - Articles) in order to accomodate the new pulley . . . an irreversible mod that some of us aren't keen on doing to an engine still under warranty (which is why my UDP is still sitting in a box in my garage).

I don't know if all this applies to the Gen 2 engines or not (though I suspect it does).
Very nicely put.

·
PCA / POC Member #125
504 Posts
I had my engine warrantied with no issue with the under drive pulley installed.
I've had two pulleys installed now and have had no issues using the stock belt, from the other four or so that I know about locally, only one changed belt.
I have seen no issues with using the stock belt.
If you plan on tracking your Cayman, and under drive pulley is a must have to help keep you Power steering in tact and it frees up a few HP 4-13 from the Dynos I've seen on P9 formerly "Planet Porsche" formerly "Cayman Club". See dyno section.
They run the 3.4/3.6 pulley on the Koni Challenge engines the have built and the Turbo pulley is on all the 997/996 Turbo builds including the 1030HP 996 TT that went 221 MPH in the Texas Mile last month. I also believe that they are used with TPC Cayman turbo kits

·
Registered
35 Posts
FYI - Per email from Betim at BBI, at least as far as the Cayman UDP is concerned:
"The Kit includes the Removal/install tool, a new bolt and the pulley. We reuse the thrust washer."

TwistyRoads

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just had my pulley installed on my 07 CS, it's almost to nice to hide in the engine compartment! We reused the stock belt, and no squeaks or any issues.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts