Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year when I first heard about the new Panamera I thought it was a ridiculous idea; a 911 with 4 doors... YEACH! I kept watching the videos, reading reviews and seeing its pictures... but said to myself "man that car will fail like hell."

Last month I saw it in a showroom in Riyadh outside the window. The showroom was closed for prayer and I had no time to come back for it. But I said to myself that it looks better in person than in pictures.

Afterwards, at Porsche Bahrain when I was getting my reptile ready for the BIC Track I inquired about the Panamera. And to my surprise, they told me they have a very long waiting list already. They said almost every Cayenne owner is buying a Panamera or trading his Cayenne for a Panamera! They said they are expecting the Panamera to be a major success.

Earlier this month I watched the recent evaluation videos from independent parties about the performance and ride of the Panamera... I ended up highly respecting the car but still don't like it.

This morning as I went to Porsche Jordan with my sister to handover my reptile for racing Tequipment upgrades, I came face-to-face with the Panamera Turbo. I was taken, touched and obsessed. The exterior body lines, the wheels... oh God, have mercy! It's beautiful up-close and in person. I sat in the car and was about to cry... The car is a MASTERPIECE OF ART !!! I didn't want to go out of the car as I kept on admiring the interior; SO LUXURIOUS & UNIQUE. I opened the hood and oh my God, that Turbo V8 screamed in my face that my eyes got wet :picsplz:

Jordan is a very small country and not rich at all. But the dealer told me they sold so far four Panamera Turbo (one of which to our Queen) and fifteen Panamera S... they are sold out until Feb 2010. Plus he added that their customers are mainly women :burnout:

The salesman (Saleem Haddad) who saw me falling in love with the car, asked me if I test-drove a Panamera before or if I'd be interested in buying one. I looked at him and said: "this car is not for me... I'm a proud single man, not to mention that I can't afford it" ;) I looked at my sister and said: "your two brothers have Porsches, we need to convince your husband to buy you a Panamera!" All laughed as we left the showroom, but my heart stayed there!

I'm not sure what's wrong with me and sport cars; ever since I renewed my bachelorhood I can't hold myself from falling in love with them deeper and deeper!

As I got back home... it hit me! I think the buyers of Panamera would include those Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar owners who want to stand out of the crowd! So be WARNED !!! Don't go and see the Panamera in person because you'll be hooked. So be WARNED !!! IMO this car is going to be a major success... Don't go and see the Panamera in person because you'll be hooked. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Our small dealer here in Bahrain sold 40 Panamera's on launch day... 20 more are coming on March 2010 and all are sold too....

·
Premium Member
3,810 Posts
. . . Plus he added that their customers are mainly women :burnout:
That's funny, my wife has already decided the Panamera is what she wants for her next car just based on the pictures . . . I told her that unfortunately, we would probably have to wait a few years until, maybe, we might be able to afford a used one. :(

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Way before the Turbo was released I saw one in Abu Dhabi and thought to myself, that looks much better than in the pictures.

I'm seeing quite a few of them out and about here and I think the dealer in Dubai had 30 sales as of the end of October, and every call I heard come in at the reception was about the Panamera.

One thing I still love though, no matter how much your Porsche is you always have to pay for floormats (There may be exceptions) :hilarious:

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Last year when I first heard about the new Panamera I thought it was a ridiculous idea; a 911 with 4 doors... YEACH! I kept watching the videos, reading reviews and seeing its pictures... but said to myself "man that car will fail like hell."

Last month I saw it in a showroom in Riyadh outside the window. The showroom was closed for prayer and I had no time to come back for it. But I said to myself that it looks better in person than in pictures.

Afterwards, at Porsche Bahrain when I was getting my reptile ready for the BIC Track I inquired about the Panamera. And to my surprise, they told me they have a very long waiting list already. They said almost every Cayenne owner is buying a Panamera or trading his Cayenne for a Panamera! They said they are expecting the Panamera to be a major success.

Earlier this month I watched the recent evaluation videos from independent parties about the performance and ride of the Panamera... I ended up highly respecting the car but still don't like it.

This morning as I went to Porsche Jordan with my sister to handover my reptile for racing Tequipment upgrades, I came face-to-face with the Panamera Turbo. I was taken, touched and obsessed. The exterior body lines, the wheels... oh God, have mercy! It's beautiful up-close and in person. I sat in the car and was about to cry... The car is a MASTERPIECE OF ART !!! I didn't want to go out of the car as I kept on admiring the interior; SO LUXURIOUS & UNIQUE. I opened the hood and oh my God, that Turbo V8 screamed in my face that my eyes got wet :picsplz:

Jordan is a very small country and not rich at all. But the dealer told me they sold so far four Panamera Turbo (one of which to our Queen) and fifteen Panamera S... they are sold out until Feb 2010. Plus he added that their customers are mainly women :burnout:

The salesman (Saleem Haddad) who saw me falling in love with the car, asked me if I test-drove a Panamera before or if I'd be interested in buying one. I looked at him and said: "this car is not for me... I'm a proud single man, not to mention that I can't afford it" ;) I looked at my sister and said: "your two brothers have Porsches, we need to convince your husband to buy you a Panamera!" All laughed as we left the showroom, but my heart stayed there!

I'm not sure what's wrong with me and sport cars; ever since I renewed my bachelorhood I can't hold myself from falling in love with them deeper and deeper!

As I got back home... it hit me! I think the buyers of Panamera would include those Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar owners who want to stand out of the crowd! So be WARNED !!! Don't go and see the Panamera in person because you'll be hooked. So be WARNED !!! IMO this car is going to be a major success... Don't go and see the Panamera in person because you'll be hooked. :crazy:
You are absolutely right... I didnt really like it from the pix, but when I went to see it in person, sat in it and test drove it (will post that later). I really thought that if I could, I'd leave my Boxster at the dealer and drive the Panamera home instead :(

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
So far I've seen more than a few at the dealer, seen 2 on the road, and sat in a couple. Have yet to drive.

I still can't quite warm up to the exterior yet. I love the front, still don't like the rear.
The interior is gorgeous.

Can't see myself owning one though. I'd get a Cayenne GTS 6-speed first.

·
Enjoying the drive.
1,272 Posts
I have checked out two different one. Although they are nice, I wouldn't give up my CS for one. To be honest, and I may be kicked off of the site for saying this, but I like the Aston Martin Raptide better.

·
CVR Rally Chair
71 Posts
To each their own I guess. I have seen two Panameras now and buth my wife and I think they are hideous. If the coupe looks anything like the drawings then it will be redeemed, but then why bother...just get a 911.
Chris

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm not really fond of the Panamera's rear end, but I don't really see a reason to buy a 4 door Aston Martin when you can't fit normal sized adults in the rear seats. They made a beautiful car uglier just to say they have 4 doors. Just get a 2 door.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'm "a little" biased but:

• I honestly think the Panamera looks better, not from all angles, but from enough ones!
  • PDK, AWD, more power ==> Panamera
  • Much wider interior ==> Panamera.
  • Much cheaper ==> You guessed it, also Panamera
  • Unlikely to break down on you ==> Panamera.
  • Much cheaper to maintain ==> Panamera.

Why would anyone buy a Rapide??! Honestly, if they gave it to me for free I'd give it back (surely no one would buy it from me) and buy a Panamera instead (and keep a whole load of money)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can tell you this: they are being sold fast in this part of the world; becoming very common in the UAE.
:thanks:

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very common in Bahrain too, 40-45 units probably sold!
There is a long list of waiting list in Jordan & Saudi Arabia... they are expecting it to be the best selling Porsche; better than the Cayenne !

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
and here goes TechArt modifying the Panamera

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
I can tell you this: they are being sold fast in this part of the world; becoming very common in the UAE.
:thanks:
Yeah we had 4 I think at the last Porsche Club track day at Yas Marina!

When are you coming to a track day? Or on one of our drives out somewhere? This Friday we're off to Khatt......nice drive, lunch and chill at the KhattSpring & Spa hotel.

Really like the TechArt version :cheers:

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've seen it at the dealer, and finally saw one driving around in Vegas. I think this is one of those cars that will click with some people, but I don't think it is universally appealing. For me it still hasn't clicked (but then nor did the SUV). It's not that I wouldn't drive one, but it doesn't make my heart race in excitement like Porsche Sports cars. On the flip side, on rare occasion we see an Aston Martin Vantage or DB9 around here, and my mouth makes the "OMG Beautiful" emote.

·
Middle-Aged Porsche Punk
997 Posts
Way before the Turbo was released I saw one in Abu Dhabi and thought to myself, that looks much better than in the pictures.

I'm seeing quite a few of them out and about here and I think the dealer in Dubai had 30 sales as of the end of October, and every call I heard come in at the reception was about the Panamera.

One thing I still love though, no matter how much your Porsche is you always have to pay for floormats (There may be exceptions) :hilarious:
They are finally making floor mats (and bluetooth and MP3 connections) standard in MY2011.....

Only 7 years late.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts