Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone captured actual gains on a dyno before and after installing catted headers on a 981? I am not looking for dyno charts from vendors but actual customers. Is it a noticeable change especially on the GTS?

Thanks.

·
Vendor
482 Posts
We have some on GT4s :D Sorry, we're a vendor..

Happy to answer any questions!

Josh

·
Registered
727 Posts
These are real dyno numbers from my car on the same machine a few months apart with similar weather conditions. This was the first custom tune done by COBB right after the accessport came out. Just cargraphics catted headers and the tune with stock air filters.

·
Registered
2011 Cayman S w/ TPC turbo
304 Posts
So $3000 headers don't do much alone. It would be interesting to see the tune w/ stock headers.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So $3000 headers don't do much alone. It would be interesting to see the tune w/ stock headers.
It's not that the headers don't do anything alone. It's that the stock tune limits power output so the Cayman motor won't make as much power as the same motor in a 911. A tune by itself will make roughly 15hp, maybe a smidge more depending on fuel. The main thing the tune does, is remove the limiter logic on the torque output that the factory tune comes with. This allows the headers to properly breathe and results in additional power.

Also, with a pro-tune, they would have adjusted the cam angles to optimize flow against the specific headers on the car. This will also account for a lot of the additional gains.

·
Registered
304 Posts
H=2 $3800 + INSTALL $1900+/HP
T=15 $1500 $100/HP
H+T=32! $5300 + INSTALL $166+/HP

This does indicate that unless you are going to do a tune too, don't waste your money on headers.
And also that the tune is more bang for the buck than headers.

·
Vendor
482 Posts
Just FYI, a header install is not $1900, at least not here. It's 5 hours for 986-981s, which is $475.

Even with a custom dyno tune it's way less than $1900. :)

H=2 $3800 + INSTALL $1900+/HP
T=15 $1500 $100/HP
H+T=32! $5300 + INSTALL $166+/HP

This does indicate that unless you are going to do a tune too, don't waste your money on headers.
And also that the tune is more bang for the buck than headers.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I guess I wasn't clear, Joshua. The header is $3800, add whatever the install cost is and you are $3800+. For 2 hp that is $3800+ divided by 2 = $1900+ per hp. Using your $475 for install it is $2137.50 per hp.

·
Vendor
482 Posts
Oh gotcha, I see now. I don't read so good without my coffee.. :)

I guess I wasn't clear, Joshua. The header is $3800, add whatever the install cost is and you are $3800+. For 2 hp that is $3800+ divided by 2 = $1900+ per hp. Using your $475 for install it is $2137.50 per hp.

·
Vendor
482 Posts
Looks like you're just using the peak value @6500 though. The area under the curve is way better with the headers and stock tune. And of course improves further with a tune.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Looks like you're just using the peak value @6500 though. The area under the curve is way better with the headers and stock tune. And of course improves further with a tune.
And for street use, the extra HP and torque from the headers alone are in the usable rpm range.

·
Registered
38 Posts
These are real dyno numbers from my car on the same machine a few months apart with similar weather conditions. This was the first custom tune done by COBB right after the accessport came out. Just cargraphics catted headers and the tune with stock air filters. View attachment 266901
I'm confused. I thought the 2014 Cayman S horse power baseline was 325HP. Or is that at the crank shaft versus at the wheels?

·
Registered
2014 Boxster S, Racing Yellow
601 Posts
Anyone done a custom tune with stock exhaust? Curious if additional HP is available over the Stage 1 Cobb OTS tune? I believe the one-size-fits-all OTS tune is fairly conservative.

·
Cayman The Destroyer!
2,631 Posts
No matter what you do adding power to a Porsche is obscenely expensive. Good headers and a tune is well spent for a street car because of the midrange grunt added.

·
Registered
86 Posts
These are real dyno numbers from my car on the same machine a few months apart with similar weather conditions. This was the first custom tune done by COBB right after the accessport came out. Just cargraphics catted headers and the tune with stock air filters. View attachment 266901
Holy smokes. The Pro Tune was done by Cobb? Was it done on a dyno or using street logs? Impressive! Or maybe the baseline Cobb tune is just THAT conservative? Wow.

·
Registered
727 Posts
For the dyno above that equates to 367 crank hp and 314 crank tq. There is like 50 lbs more torque at 3700 rpm and it sure feels like it when driving around the street. I am neck and neck with a GT4 all the way down the 1 km back straight at COTA.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts