Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I’m a new subscriber to this forum and a Porsche enthusiast. I just wanted to share my experience buying my first Porsche Boxster S in the Richmond area and would like to emphasize the importance of having a pre-purchase inspection.

After several weeks doing some research on the Boxster and their IMS bearing problems, I decided to start looking at a 987 model. To my surprise, I found a nice looking one from 2006 in the parking lot of a German brand car dealership.

The dealership didn’t have any problem in handing me the key of that 987 to take it for a full day to have it inspected. That was for me a good starting point. I was excited to drive for my first time a Boxster, and I was convinced that car would be my first Porsche.

Without a doubt, the most important decision I made was to take it to a trusted German auto repair shop, PMW (Perception Motor Werks) in Powhatan for a pre-purchase inspection. I live close by and see every day all kinds of German brands in their parking lot. People from this area have said a plethora of great things about them.
Michael and Rachel, the auto technicians and owners of PMW were so professional and willing to giving me the best advice. After two full hours of a thorough inspection, they found some parts needed to be replaced from the 60K miles, but most important was what they discovered from the Durametric test. That car was over-revved. Porsche cars from 2005 (987…) have six ignition ranges that represent RPM. This car showed red flags in all over the six ranges.
Knowing the truth about the car’s condition, sadly I had to walk away. When handing the keys back to the manager of the Dealership, I showed him the report and told him about the car that they are trying to sell. He apologized and told me that he never heard about the Durametric tests and “didn’t know what to do what that damn car”.
To my surprise, two weeks later, I got an email from CarGurus stating that that very same car had been sold. I feel bad for that guy who may not know anything about that car and didn’t make a PPI.
I finally found a 987 S, manual, black, loaded in a great condition. So, you can guess where I took the car for a pre-purchase inspection. I’m glad I found these professionals PMW in Powhatan who have been helping me through the whole process of purchasing my car.

I hope this may help others before spending some money on a car. PPI is the best money you can ever spend prior to purchasing your car and you can receive this and the most professional and efficient service.

JR

·
Registered
3 Posts
Definitely an important guideline to follow and your example bears it out. Thanks for sharing. I’m also in VA and will be buying a 987 hopefully soon, though it’s my second Porsche. Just haven’t found the right one yet (...that didn’t sell before I could buy it)

Now of course I’m requesting to see pics of your new ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My pleasure RM. I'm sure you will find a great one. Good luck with your purchase. I will keep you posted if I hear anything.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Congratulations on a beautiful car. Great advise on the PPI and being willing to walk away from the wrong car. I too am in the Richmond area and have had a number of Porsches including two Caymans, currently owning a GT4. Have you joined PCA yet? The First Settlers Region is a great group with lot’s of events. We’re actually doing a fun run this weekend. Let me know if you have any questions or need any help with your Boxster. I can also provide you with the name of my mechanic if you want a second option for service. PM me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Last_935 for the tips. I'm going to take look at the PCA group. I hope you guys have a lot of fun this weekend!

·
Registered
486 Posts
It won't be the popular post but..... PPI is only as good as the mechanic doing it. Just like a house inspector if you believe a PPI is a fool proof inoculation against potential problems you may find yourself disappointed down the line.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You may be right, but the Durametric test gives you an accurate reading which can't be manipulated. For a reason Porsche regularly refuses to offer warranty repairs on engines that have been over-revved and abused. That was the first thing I was looking closely before testing other parts.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I agree 100%, it's the first thing I would check too. For the record, there are many stellar, high caliber wrenches out there that can do a PPI of value. I just see people online thinking of it like a CT body-scan which just like a PPI is not a guarantee of anything. I always drive cautiously till the oil is warm, I never go to extreme RPM, I'll rev it up but absolute redline is unnecessary to me. I change the oil every year before storage and the miles are always way too low for a change but I do it. My point to all this is, you would think all that means my engine is perfect but life doesn't work that way. You use your best efforts and realize sometimes a non smoker goes down from lung cancer too, life is a trickster.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I shared an experience in another post..............I'd recommend a PPI even with a CPO car. It will run you another $300 or so, but it will save you that much and more later on should you be dealing with a less than honest P dealer. And sadly, I think that there are more P dealers who fall into this category, have a lack of attention to detail, or just don't care. PCNA doesn't seem to want to do anything about it either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts