Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, ladies and gents,

Come January, I will be kicking off my search for my next Cayman S. I owned a breathtaking, life-changing 987.1 for about 8 months before an old man terminated it. Ended up working out alright though as his insurance promptly admitted fault and I recovered my investment. Some of you all gave me tips and encouragement during that time and I really appreciate it! Anyway, I ended up heading to Paris for a year shortly after the accident, and will be getting back to the USA in July 2015.

Interestingly, when I first found this forum I was also living overseas and was beginning a year-long search that would lead to the purchase of the aforementioned car.

So in January, as I'll be about six months out, I will begin my search in earnest. Last time around my regimen consisted of daily checks on the classified section here, SearchTempest.com, Autotrader, and periodically through the classifieds of 6speedonline, reenlist, and cargurus.com. Anyone recommend any where else? I'm all ears!

Also, I'd appreciate if if you'd read my ideal specs below and shoot me a message if you happen to hear of any no-brainer leads.

987.2S
PDK
SC+
PASM
BOSE
BIXENONS
<50k miles
Not red or yellow exterior (wife)
~40k

Appreciate you all and wish you the best this holiday season! If you're still driving your Caymans during the winter, I wish you happy (and safe) trails!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
987.2 S is going for $45K+. I think with options you want and PASM which is hard to find as well is going to put at 50K+. I just sold my Cayman R for $56k to give you an idea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dave T : yeah you're right, that's why I'm giving myself lots of time to find the car I want. In the last 3 months of casual searching, I came within a couple of emails of buying almost the exact car I wanted for $39k, surprising from a P-dealer in NV. I pulled out b/c it didn't have the bixenon headlights. That may sound trite but I really love the additional illum at night that those headlights provide. So anyway I hope that with enough diligent searching I will find the car I want at a price I can be comfortable with!

Zinger: Thanks!!

Husker Boxster: I checked out the link you provided...interesting site that may make my CL screening easier. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Actually, I think you'll be able to find one that meets your parms and at your price. 09s & 10s are now out of warranty and that causes a big price drop. I follow prices more than casually (peruse Rideslist often) and I've noticed Cayman prices have dropped quite a bit across the board in the last 2 mo. It might be the seasonal winter drop but it seemed to happen a bit earlier than usual. The only thing working against you is they didn't sell many Caymans in those yrs and with the non-IMS engine, they'll hold a bit more value than a 987.1. But you're casting a wide net and you're taking your time, I think you'll find the right one at the right price for you. Just be ready to pounce when you find it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Husker Boxster: thanks for the info. I've noticed the price drop too but as you say, during the first couple years of the .2 facelift Porsche sold so few caymans! So sad! And really weird too...from what I've read most journalists found that Porsche had addressed almost every complaint ppl had with the 987.1 and fixed them for the .2, making an already very successful new model a truly impeccable car. So why the immense drop in production numbers? Anyway, I appreciate your insight and am also thinking that with enough patience I can find my perfect purchase.

DMN987S: I clicked the link but it took me to the general caymans for sale list on carsforsale.com. Were you looking at the one in Houston? I saw that one a few days ago on...I don't remember what site. Anyway, it's perfect except for not having PASM. I know the jury is divided here on P9 re: PASM, but I had it on my first CS and absolutely loved it. Perhaps it was a childish love for gimmicky push-button-make-change antics, but hey I bought a sports car because of a childish love of driving! I decided to look for a PDK car so my wife would consider driving it, and most of the PDK cars I've seen have Sport Chrono Plus, but it's been maybe 10% that also have PASM. I guess most guys ordering from the factory back in '09 didn't find it worth the cost...I've read all the threads from that time and it seems like lots of people were discussing which options were worth the premium Porsche charged. Anyway, for me on the used market that is an option I'm really hoping to have! Thanks for the link; I wasn't previously familiar with carsforsale.com and will add it to my list of sites to check!

·
Registered
895 Posts
You will have no problem finding your perfect CS with those criteria if you are patient.

Remember that 2009-2010 was the height of the recession and folks were not spending their dollars on frivolous things like Porsches.

The best I can estimate is that each year recorded about 3,000-ish Cayman (base and S) sales so the pickings are slim so bear that in mind during your search.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Eddie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts