Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope this isn't too stupid of a question. A lot of guys are running Go Pros at the track or auto-x. Other than having a fun video to watch after-the-fact, is there any real benefit to filming your runs with a Go Pro? I know there are other cameras with apps that do data logging. I feel like a good pyrometer might be a better investment than a camera and mount. Thoughts?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Video is the best tool improving your driving. You can see what you did wrong and right.

A pyrometer and video are two different tools. The pyrometer lets you optimize the tires, the video helps you optimize the driver. Optimizing the driver is the most fruitful way of improving.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand the concept. However, I question whether a single camera (regardless of mounting position) allows you to identify what you did right/wrong. Depth perception is an issue, as well as really seeing where your line was. I've seen quite a few videos from other drivers and honestly, it's tough to see whether they nailed something or blew it unless it's REALLY obvious. Mounting position might have something to do with it, but it seems like you might need multiples to get real useful data.

·
PCA / POC Member & Club Donor
1,932 Posts
We require/suggest strongly that all club racers run cameras to assist in determining incident fault if there is contact, etc.

Also, using the camera helps a bit with driver development, but is much more useful if combined with data (e.g., AiM Smartycam, etc.)

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I would think that if you screw up, the video may help you see what you did wrong both before and during the incident. But most importantly - It's fun!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Your cellphone has all the sensors you need. Just record them and then re-sync them with the video later.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I have a helmet mounted camera which allows me to review where I was looking and the line I was taking. Things happen so fast on an auto-x course that it is useful to be able to play it back and review what you did.

Different perspectives definitely help, but that requires multiple cameras. I'm not sure there is one perspective that is going to give you the full picture, but anything is better than nothing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes use cameras and a data-logging device (Harry's laptimer is pretty good for the money) so you can review on how you did along with comparing it from one track day to another. This way you can see if you're making progress.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I hope this isn't too stupid of a question. A lot of guys are running Go Pros at the track or auto-x. Other than having a fun video to watch after-the-fact, is there any real benefit to filming your runs with a Go Pro? I know there are other cameras with apps that do data logging. I feel like a good pyrometer might be a better investment than a camera and mount. Thoughts?
The most important tool for driver development is real-time lap-time information. Reviewing video and or recorded data after the fact can unquestionably help you spot areas where time is being lost, but I think you have to be a pretty experienced racer/driver before that's your most important source of information.

The best example I can give is if you try to shoot free throws with a basketball blind folded. If you shoot 10 blind folded free throws and then afterwards I tell you, that's great you hit 2 out of the 10. The 3rd and 7th. It's totally useless information. You can nod and say great! If I say you tended to miss to the left you could try again shooting more to the right, but afterwards I say you made 1 out of 10... your progress would be incredibly slow. It's would actually be an awful way to try to learn to shoot free throws.

Compare this to if you shoot a free throw with your eyes open, you miss to the left. You make the obvious adjustment, you make the next one shot and internalize how everything felt when you shot correctly. You keep practicing. Make a mistake correct it, do it well, internalize it. Very quickly you start to get a sense of what a good shot feels like.

It's the same thing with lap times. You need to internalize, 'oh that's what a 1:47 feels like.' If you try a different line or brake point you can see immediately if your lap time improved. As you get suggestions about things to try you can immediately convert your implementing those suggestions to lap time improvements.

The pyrometer can help you maximize your tire life and grip, though you honestly you could just learn 80% of what you need by asking a more experienced driver with the same car their alignment and tire pressures. Unless you're in a highly competitive situation most people will just tell you what they are doing. I'm not saying you'll win races always asking others suggestion, at some point you need to lead not follow, just that you can get 80% of what you probably want from it by asking.

With data acquisition, I've found the most learning comes with multiple drivers. Where you can see how someone is faster than you through a section. When they go to throttle in the corner, where they break, etc.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I find video useful. Best view for a single camera I think is behind and over the shoulder so you can see hands and steering input.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Another thought on video- you can share with others. I captured a friend's spin from behind and he found the view plus his in car video helpful. Another time an instructor friend followed me for a session. He said you are off the apex a foot at x,x and leaving track at track-out at y, y- gave me the file, said watch it. It's one thing to get useful feedback but seeing it really helps reinforce and quantify.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Here's another view. I'm using an AiM SmartyCam which automatically adds data to the video. Note my hands as I exit the slow turn onto the old front straight at Pitt Race.

I'll post a longer video on the 987 Competition page.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
Seems like a lot of high-speed gardening involves vehicles equipped with GoPro cameras.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Only videos from inside the car will help you understand the mistakes you've made on track.

I personally like Helmet mounted cams or a cam that clearly shows both your hands, and clearly outside the windshield. Being able to see how you handle the equipment is a huge part of driving, making sure your hands are in the right place, making sure you stay calm etc etc.

A lot of times, on track things get a bit stressful and its hard to learn on the fly. Videoing lets you revisit any mistakes, and watch them over and over and over until you've got it correctly in your mind. Check my nurburgring video, this is how i like my videos. It's especially good if you can get a footwork camera! People always forget about their feet! sadly I didn't have the time/resources to set up a foot cam but seriously a foot cam will show you a lot of what you're doing right or wrong!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
What about giving a student a tow, or following a student around the track and giving them actual coaching.

I don't think I want to sit around waiting for a student to fiddle with their video camera or laptop. I already know what I'm seeing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts