Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had been considering getting a bluetooth streaming kit or a CDR Aux kit to connect my phone to the car head unit.

the criteria I had:
- keep the power outlets if possible
- prefer that it doesnt go on visor
- no visible cables or messy wires
- easy installation
- low/no maintenance

this is the solution i finally chose. A 10-15 dollar FM transmitter!

Works lovely and quality of transmission is decent enough for my non audiophile use.
plus I tend to listen to the engine sing on the background mostly :)

only disadvantage is needing to control songs from the phone itself so sometimes i need to pick the right playlist first...

fm transmitter.jpg

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I also went for this minimalist option for my 987 and I was fine with it. However I had a couple of devices that worked well for a couple of months and then failed, the quality tends to be poor. The most recent one is holding up well (iKross, $37 via amazon) , I've moved it to my 05 3 series and it is still working fine for half a year., it is a pretty substantial hunk of material.

Another disadvantage of these things is you have to plug and unplug it each time since the sockets remain live, but I got used to that.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Don't know where you guys live, but i had a hard time finding a frequency that works well in busy Los Angeles. I rolled with one of these gadgets for a few weeks while deciding what stereo option to go with. As I expected was largely a waste of $15 but c'est la vie and ymmv.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tacomanator, ymmv yes I agree. It can be tricky to find an empty FM slot and once I find one I try to stick to it.

most drives are short and within state (and therefore not jumping frequencies) so its not too bad I guess.
I've tried several brands and I find that the generic ones tend to work better than the branded ones (like belkin etc) as the FM modulation is stronger and more stable.

·
PCA Member
189 Posts
tacomanator, ymmv yes I agree. It can be tricky to find an empty FM slot and once I find one I try to stick to it.

most drives are short and within state (and therefore not jumping frequencies) so its not too bad I guess.
I've tried several brands and I find that the generic ones tend to work better than the branded ones (like belkin etc) as the FM modulation is stronger and more stable.
Based on this thread I decided to research FM Transmitters, since I have a Gen 1 Porsche Cayman S. I did not want to spend a lot of money to hear music from my Smartphone. What I did find was the IKross wireless FM Transmitter.
I've had this for about 10 days and it is perfect for me.

Some of the issues I've read from previous posts were connectivity and finding an FM channel (station) that is free and provides a clear audio sound without hissing etc. I live 60 miles north of NYC in the Hudson Valley and was about to find an FM station 88.5, previously I tried 88.1, but I found that I lost the signal going 10 miles from my house.

Again, I have only had this unit for 10 days, but so far so good. I spent $ 36.99 for the Ikross FM Transmitter shipped on Amazon.

What I like about this Transmitter is that it can be used without being plugged into the cigarette lighter port (once it is charged) and is completely wireless. It can also charge your phone and tablet because the base unit has an USB port.

The low cost of $ 36.99 was the key selling point and is solves satisfies my need to listen to music from my IPhone.

Ikross 1.JPG Ikross 2.JPG Ikross 3.JPG

The FM Transmitter is connected to the electrical plug via a magnet connector, which is very handy. You can place the transmitter in your pocket if you like.

This may not work for everyone, but it works for me. The cost / benefit ratio justifies the purchase.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
interesting looking device, this ikross.... does the stand/base charge the transmitter too?
i like the wireless units too as I dont like to have cables running around the interior if possible.

that reminds me I need to charge my transmitter.... :)
it usually lasts around 3-4 days.

·
PCA Member
189 Posts
Yes, the base charges the transmitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
On your advice I jut got the same thing. Just tried it out and aside from the plugging/unplugging it works like a charm. It picks up on any FM frequency. Best 37 bucks so far on the Cayman. Although the clear side markers might one up that as they are an actual Porsche product.:hilarious:

Either way thanks for this, as it will suffice for my daily commute and save at least 500 bucks on whatever I was going to get so stream music.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just wanted to update this thread - my original transmitter had officially given up and I bought a new device similar to the one mentioned above.
however this is cleaner in design, connects via bluetooth, configured via a smartphone app. no buttons on the device & the design is clean with decent sound quality.

the downside is that it is not plug and play for our power socket design (ours works best with the spring tip type) so I had to get an accessory from the same company to plug this beauty in.

Screen Shot 2017-01-21 at 23.43.39.png

Here's a picture of the setup in the centre console.
console setup.jpg

google ROIDMI and you'll find it on your favourite shopping site. costs about 20-40 dollars including the adaptor.

Pros
Nice design & build, no buttons
high power output for USB devices
startup and bluetooth connection chime
stable FM transmission signal
no longer need to think about charging the FM transmitter :)
no other cables or hardware - all controlled via phone (which should be mounted)

Cons
plugging/unplugging it when leaving the car
the initial setup through the app requires you to create an ID for MI website (but takes less than 5 mins and can be done from phone)
needs the adaptor to work in Porsche & some other cars. check ciggie lighter compatibility diagrams before buying
version 1 can't take calls via car speakers

once setup you dont need to use the app anymore. There is also a version 2S which allows bluetooth calling (version 1 doesnt have this).

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update for 2019, the model is now Roidmi 3S - available on eBay and your favourite shopping sites.
Prices seem to vary quite a bit so shop carefully.

The design no longer requires an adaptor/splitter but you may want to consider one if you plan to insert it into the console as the cap on the power socket there may block the thicker "head" of the device. And because you'll have to unplug/plug it in everytime you use it, you'll want that to be as convenient as possible. I have an older version and am not able to check the clearance for the new model.

other than this minor inconvenience, using this daily has been really easy. Just plug in (push in half inch into power socket) and listen out for the connection/pairing chimes and ready to go usually in <10 seconds. Disconnect when parking.

No funny looking goose necks and things sticking out from the cig lighter.

s-l500.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Update for 2019, the model is now Roidmi 3S - available on eBay and your favourite shopping sites.
Prices seem to vary quite a bit so shop carefully.

The design no longer requires an adaptor/splitter but you may want to consider one if you plan to insert it into the console as the cap on the power socket there may block the thicker "head" of the device.
Hey Tiger . .thanks for this . i found it on lazada and will be ordering it! Btw, I noticed you are (also) in Malaysia .. whereabouts? I'm in beautiful Penang :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts