Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Caymaniac
5,655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any predictions?

The 2.9 addressed the oiling issues, but did not add DFI...which may prove to be a good thing in the long run...??

Could it end up being that "sweet-spot" car?

I would think that limiting the amount of "new-tech" in the car gives it the best chance for long term success.

Or will the after market universe offer acceptable retrofit kits for our Gen I 3.4 cars and make them the track weapon of choice?

Thoughts?

How about in 10 years?

·
Administrator
34,474 Posts
Uh wouldn't that be MY car? ;) Seriously any version Cayman is going to require some mods to be a solid regular track car and that depends on how seriously you are going to track the car, doing a DE doesn't require as much as say club racing or competing in Grand-Am. :)

I will make this prediction, as prices fall there really won't be anymore reason for people to buy and build up old 944's as track cars anymore, the Cayman is vastly superior, so as soon as Caymans start hitting say the $20k mark you could dump $5-10k into them in track gear and for $30K have a Cayman that will kill any 944 out there that likely cost about the same to build out.

One never finds "cheap" GT3's out there not in the $20K range so I think the Cayman will fill the spot of the older 944 and to a lesser degree the older 911's like RSA's, etc.

·
Registered
569 Posts
My guess in the short term will be '06-08 CS's gutted with a sump kit, LSD and power steering cooler. I think the jury is still out on the gen 2 cars but the future looks good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
K-Man-S, I also have an '06 S, and have just been to my first DE. It was awesome--I'm a newbie to sports cars, but I'm hooked on Porsche. I have been reading about all the mods to improve your car, and there are so many, it is hard to decide. I have a daughter's wedding coming up in a month, and two kids starting grad school in September, so I am on about a $2,500 budget to put mods on the car. I know this is a hard question, but what would you do with a $2,500-$3,000 limit for mods on your '06.

I really appreciate how you have taken care of this forum, it has been invaluable to me, as a newbie.

PS rode with my DE instructor in his Carrera 4S, and we passed an Aston Martin. Good feeling--there's just nothing like a Porsche.

Thanks. JH

·
Registered
38 Posts
K-Man-S, I just went to my first DE and am about 10 times as enthusiastice about my '06S that before. I have some budget limitations (daughters wedding in August, 2 kids starting grad school in September, but I would like to put about $2,500-$3,000 into my car in performance mods. Have read many of the threads on modifications, and would appreciate your recommendations. I don't think I will ever be actually racing, but will go to as many DE's as possible, on good tracks.

Thanks for this website, it has been very helpful to me. JH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts