Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best audio quality settings for BOSE speakers.

Here are setting to get considerably better output from BOSE speakers.

Autopilot OFF
Linear ON
Surround OFF
+1 BASS
Fader 2 forward
Everything else neutral

That will get you the cleanest and noticeable better audio quality. Then just use high quality source material.

Surround & linear off (which is really some EQ applied) was horrible. I'm certain that's why people say the systems stinks. I'm actually quite happy with it now. It was worth the 700.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Best audio quality settings for BOSE speakers.

Here are setting to get considerably better output from BOSE speakers.

Autopilot OFF
Linear ON
Surround OFF
+1 BASS
Fader 2 forward
Everything else neutral

That will get you the cleanest and noticeable better audio quality. Then just use high quality source material.
Exactly right regarding Linear ON and Surround OFF, in my opinion. I'll have to check my treble/bass/fader settings to see how they compare to yours, but I believe I have my treble lowered below neutral because I find the system to sound bright with most of my source material (which is not high quality) and AM/FM .

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Thanks, Rich. I'll have to check mine. I noticed that the Bose system separates itself from the "Sound Pkg Plus" at higher volumes. At low volumes it is hard to appreciate the difference. At the beginning, I was wondering whether it was worth it or not. After 5 months, I am now in the "yes, it was" camp.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I'm torn between surround on or off......

What does Autopilot do?......does that increase the volume as you speed up?

Bill

·
Registered
798 Posts
Thanks I'll change my settings too...really underwhelmed with the Bose...spoiled by the Mark Levinson in our LS and ES

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks, Rich. I'll have to check mine. I noticed that the Bose system separates itself from the "Sound Pkg Plus" at higher volumes. At low volumes it is hard to appreciate the difference. At the beginning, I was wondering whether it was worth it or not. After 5 months, I am now in the "yes, it was" camp.
It's probably worth the $700... but it's $1,400 on the Base car even with the "Sound Pkg Plus" added in with the CDR+.
Doesn't really make sense, so I opted to skip it.
The "Sound Pkg Plus" sounds about as good as my current base unit in my BMW 335i, which is pretty good to my ear.
It has the 9 speakers.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Maybe it's just what me and my eclectic music tastes, but I can't see how anyone can set a stereo to one magic setting for Bass/Treble. Many albums/songs are mixed where I need to either tune the bass or treble down and some albums/songs sound better to me when I boost bass or treble.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Maybe it's just what me and my eclectic music tastes, but I can't see how anyone can set a stereo to one magic setting for Bass/Treble. Many albums/songs are mixed where I need to either tune the bass or treble down and some albums/songs sound better to me when I boost bass or treble.
Yep. This, plus everyone's hearing is different. I usually like more treble and mid-range with less bass. Linear off does seem to improve the response a bit. I usually tell people to just play with their settings until they find a sweet spot for their own listening tastes.

Reactions: Sebast007

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yep. This, plus everyone's hearing is different. I usually like more treble and mid-range with less bass. Linear off does seem to improve the response a bit. I usually tell people to just play with their settings until they find a sweet spot for their own listening tastes.
I'm not all about that bass, I'm all treble, so -2 on bass and +2 on treble.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No I disagree. I set my systems to be as neutral and transparent as possible. These settings reflect that. Any genre should sound good. Now was the source material mixed good? That's a whole other topic. and good resolution audio should be a given.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I set my systems to be as neutral and transparent as possible.
Definitely the audiophile method, and a good starting point. As a reformed audiophile, I eventually rejected the notion and quest for neutrality, and simply assembled a system that sounded good to my ears. I suspect most people will do the same in their cars.

Any genre should sound good.
Well, maybe, depending on the quality of the recording, and this doesn't take into account radio or satellite sources.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I agree with most of your settings, but I prefer the fader 2-4 notches towards the back. I find without favoring the back speakers, you'd never know they were there.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
No I disagree. I set my systems to be as neutral and transparent as possible. These settings reflect that. Any genre should sound good. Now was the source material mixed good? That's a whole other topic. and good resolution audio should be a given.
It is all about the mix and the mastering, which is why I said there is no perfect setting when listening to a variety of music.

Eclectic tastes, (as well as the unfortunate trend of mastering everything LOUDER) means that there is no magic bullet unless you only listen to a limited amount of source material. I guarantee you if I plug in my iPod with ALAC files into your car, crank it up and put it on shuffle, you will be adjusting the bass or treble down depending upon the track.

·
Registered
3,618 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I didn't even think to try turning the surround off. I started with your settings but for me I had to change the bass to +3, treble to -1, fade to neutral. Much better now.

Reactions: Richman

·
Premium Member
5,836 Posts
Definitely the audiophile method, and a good starting point. As a reformed audiophile, I eventually rejected the notion and quest for neutrality, and simply assembled a system that sounded good to my ears. I suspect most people will do the same in their cars.
Selecting a setting that sounds good to your ears is the key IMHO.

Richman, I set up my BOSE about like yours but I do a +1 on the treble and the bass. My old ears (68) don't hear treble so well anymore. That's why I say set your stereo to what sounds good to you.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts