Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I’ve wasted way too much time researching ways to upgrade the stereo in the Cayman 981 with Bose. Here are your options, assuming you have CDR31 and Bose. This will give you information on all the choices, with pros and cons.

——

Option 1. Upgrade to PCM 3.1 Legitimately:
This is $3900 through Suncoast. Interface through NAVTV is another $900 plus $500 for two Camera 6s.
Pros: OEM. Warranty. Gain Bluetooth Streaming. Get guidelines while turning wheel. Only sure way to get glovebox USB port.
Cons: Lose XM radio. Very expensive.

Option 2. Upgrade to PCM 3.1 Illegitimately:
Get the same PCM but through eBay. Get codes for Porsche DRM from Russian hacker on Skype. Cost: $1250+$100.
Pros: OEMish. Cheaper, almost reasonably priced.
Cons: USB Connector for glovebox not included in many ebay listings. Picture on radio at boot up probably won’t match your car - since Cayanne’s and 911s are so Common. Shady. Ethically dubious. Possible Time suck if Porsche asks for proof of purchase. Lose XM radio since wiring for antennae is reused for PCM 3.1 Navigation.

Option 3. Total radio Swap with Aftermarket system.
I talked to Suncoast about the BOSE MOST adapter for the 991, and it turns out it works for the Cayman Bose too. They added in to the Cayman purchase database afterward. Cost is $900 for housing and the MOST adapter.

Without the MOST, you could spend $200 on the housing and get a new amplifier in lieu of the Bose. Because there are 7 speakers In the 981, you’ll spend about $1200. The upside is sound quality would be much better.

This is the best and the worst system. You can get two Camera interfaces, CarPlay, XM and Bluetooth in $500-$900 systems. But, to me - none of the aftermarket options are anywhere near Porsche quality. Most don’t come with volume knobs, so you’ll be pushing a button to increase volume. This also nullifies your steering wheel controls. I don’t know for sure if you’ll get errors on your dash going this route, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Worth adding: Reattaching your radio antennae, hooking up your XM antenna all will take about $200 of custom parts. Total cost: About $1500.

Pros: A complete and functional solution. Because factory wiring isn’t touched, can replace with CDR31 easily when selling.
Cons: Poor interface, removing vital part may cause errors. Annoying modal dialogue accepting libility to accept every time you crank the car. Janky. Low rent look compared to OEM. No camera steering guidelines.

Option 4: Chinese Hacker CarPlay with PCM
Similar to option 1 and 2. But, instead of adding Cameras, you add a CarPlay modules. I checked and their product doesn’t work with CDR31. Cost is $800, on top on PCM 3.1 cost.
Pros: Only way to get CarPlay on OEM Hardware
Con: Will lose XM PCB board. No backup camera. Requires dissembling radio. Communication with Chinese company extremely poor, takes days to have messages returned

Option 5: THE BEST BAD SOLUTION.
Take the CDR31 out, ship it to NAVTV and have them modify it to take camera inputs.

I hate this solution. But, after all my research, it’s the best one - for me at least. Removing the CDR31 looks simple. I talked to them and the modification doesn’t remove your XM radio PCB board. You get it back in 3 days. Cost: $1500 plus Cameras.

For adding Bluetooth, this $80 part will add pure digital in to your CDR31. A2D-CDR30 Audio Streaming Adapter for Porsche CDR30 and CDR31 Radios :: Bluetooth

Other Planet9 people have done this Bluetooth upgrade and seem pleased. You will have to find a power wire to install. It’s better than the 3.5mm audio jack because it’s all digital input and it powers on and off with your car. Some models of this have a USB jack that you can have installed.

https://youtu.be/BYtBgZ9Bi_o

Pros: OEM. No Porsche codes needed. No harm to vehicle wiring besides power line. Get digital guidelines with steering. Keep XM radio. Will connect to Bluetooth automatically. Digital signal. No need to add new microphone. Steering wheel controls not affected.

Cons: No CarPlay. Have to have gaping hole in your Porsche for a few days. No steering wheel controls for Bluetooth.

————

Anyway, that’s a ton of research on the subject - so I hope someone else finds this helpful. I’ll let you all know how it goes with option 5.

·
Registered
29 Posts
RidgeRacer, most definitely useful, just what I was looking for, thanks man!!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I bought a PCM 3.1 from eBay, added cables, got codes from a hacker and have XM, nav, sub, and BT. Only had BT before. Works with my steering wheel controls. Fully outlined on the thread "swapping "CDR 31 for PCM" on this forum.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My car has the 3.5mm jack plug and above that is a charging plug. If install this adapter does the charger still work?
Many thanks
Ps. Thanks for posting this. I’ve been searching for months to get a suitable player without having to change the headunit. 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

·
Registered
1 Posts
So, I’ve wasted way too much time researching ways to upgrade the stereo in the Cayman 981 with Bose. Here are your options, assuming you have CDR31 and Bose. This will give you information on all the choices, with pros and cons.

——

This is $3900 through Suncoast. Interface through NAVTV is another $900 plus $500 for two Camera 6s.
Pros: OEM. Warranty. Gain Bluetooth Streaming. Get guidelines while turning wheel. Only sure way to get glovebox USB port.

Get the same PCM but through eBay. Get codes for Porsche DRM from Russian hacker on Skype. Cost: $1250+$100.
Cons: USB Connector for glovebox not included in many ebay listings. Picture on radio at boot up probably won’t match your car - since Cayanne’s and 911s are so Common. Shady. Ethically dubious. Possible Time suck if Porsche asks for proof of purchase. Lose XM radio since wiring for antennae is reused for PCM 3.1 Navigation.

I talked to Suncoast about the BOSE MOST adapter for the 991, and it turns out it works for the Cayman Bose too. They added in to the Cayman purchase database afterward. Cost is $900 for housing and the MOST adapter.

Without the MOST, you could spend $200 on the housing and get a new amplifier in lieu of the Bose. Because there are 7 speakers In the 981, you’ll spend about $1200. The upside is sound quality would be much better.

This is the best and the worst system. You can get two Camera interfaces, CarPlay, XM and Bluetooth in $500-$900 systems. But, to me - none of the aftermarket options are anywhere near Porsche quality. Most don’t come with volume knobs, so you’ll be pushing a button to increase volume. This also nullifies your steering wheel controls. I don’t know for sure if you’ll get errors on your dash going this route, but it wouldn’t surprise me.

Worth adding: Reattaching your radio antennae, hooking up your XM antenna all will take about $200 of custom parts. Total cost: About $1500.

Pros: A complete and functional solution. Because factory wiring isn’t touched, can replace with CDR31 easily when selling.
Cons: Poor interface, removing vital part may cause errors. Annoying modal dialogue accepting libility to accept every time you crank the car. Janky. Low rent look compared to OEM. No camera steering guidelines.

Similar to option 1 and 2. But, instead of adding Cameras, you add a CarPlay modules. I checked and their product doesn’t work with CDR31. Cost is $800, on top on PCM 3.1 cost.
Con: Will lose XM PCB board. No backup camera. Requires dissembling radio. Communication with Chinese company extremely poor, takes days to have messages returned

Take the CDR31 out, ship it to NAVTV and have them modify it to take camera inputs.

I hate this solution. But, after all my research, it’s the best one - for me at least. Removing the CDR31 looks simple. I talked to them and the modification doesn’t remove your XM radio PCB board. You get it back in 3 days. Cost: $1500 plus Cameras.

For adding Bluetooth, this $80 part will add pure digital in to your CDR31. A2D-CDR30 Audio Streaming Adapter for Porsche CDR30 and CDR31 Radios :: Bluetooth

Other Planet9 people have done this Bluetooth upgrade and seem pleased. You will have to find a power wire to install. It’s better than the 3.5mm audio jack because it’s all digital input and it powers on and off with your car. Some models of this have a USB jack that you can have installed.

https://youtu.be/BYtBgZ9Bi_o

Pros: OEM. No Porsche codes needed. No harm to vehicle wiring besides power line. Get digital guidelines with steering. Keep XM radio. Will connect to Bluetooth automatically. Digital signal. No need to add new microphone. Steering wheel controls not affected.

Cons: No CarPlay. Have to have gaping hole in your Porsche for a few days. No steering wheel controls for Bluetooth.

————

Anyway, that’s a ton of research on the subject - so I hope someone else finds this helpful. I’ll let you all know how it goes with option 5.
Has anyone seen the navinc cdr31 upgrade that allows car play with the existing radio/screen ?

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

——

————

I went the (slightly) illegitimate route two years ago, bought a Boxster PCM unit from eBay for my '16 GTS. I paid a Russian for the codes and my dealer input them and everything works great. I still have sat radio b/c I paid for that code and my PCM had the hardware, I didn't pay for the UBS outlet so it doesn't work, but everything else does, NAV, sat radio, AM/FM, and I later put a backup camera in that runs through the PCM screen, works just like original except the lines don't curve as you turn while backing. There is an entire thread on the install on P9 under electronic mods.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts