Planet-9 Porsche Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

new car on the way already buying toys for it!

Ok, have base 2015 CS on the way, The CS comes with the one step up audio, a sound plus 225 watt package w/ blue tooh fro phone only, and I guess I need an adapter tp plug into the glve box outlet? I have I phone 4S.

What one works best? I assume there are hard wire versions that run wires out of glove box and plugs into phone, offering, if i understand, an improvement in audio quality? (this is a question I am hoping can be confirmed).

I would prefer a wireless that was reliable and simple to use, if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
371 Posts
Without the CDR+Plus or the PCM nav system there is no direct USB connection to the audio. An upside of having SoundSystem is that Suncoast can upgrade your system to PCM. Thats not possible with the base audio system.

Take a look here:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...3267-bluetooth-streaming-base-auido-40-a.html

I just got the Griffin I-trip Bluetooth to aux adapter. I've seen them for sale at Best-Buy.

It works ok, the couple of times I've used it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I don't get it, doesn't the OP have CDR+ and that does have Bluetooth...
Its confusing, the CDR+Plus is not the same as Sound system Plus (SPP).

The standard 981 S comes with:
CDR audio system with Sound Package Plus - 9 speakers and 235 Watt output, 7-inch color touch screen, AM/FM radio with double tuner, single in-dash CD drive, also plays music in MP3, AAC and WMA format

If you include the CDR+ option ($1700)
Includes:
  • CDR Plus
    High-resolution 7-inch color (touchscreen) display including radio with RDS double-tuner and single CD/DVD drive with audio playback of MP3 music and audio/video DVDs.
  • Universal Audio Interface
    Connection for AUX-IN, USB, iPod® audio sources. Operated through external device or PCM (depending on device and connection used). The system also supports the display of cover art and playback of podcasts and audio books.
  • SiriusXM® Satellite Radio Receiver
    Enjoy your 3-month trial subscription to the All Access package with over 150 channels including commercial-free music, plus sports, exclusive talk, entertainment and news. Plus listen to SiriusXM Internet Radio everywhere on your computer, smartphone or tablet.
  • HD Radio Receiver
    HD Radio technology provides access to a broad range of new digital programming on top of conventionally received FM stations. HD Radio also includes advanced audio and data features.

KCZ put together a spreadsheet of all the options.
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-...6507-981-audio-options-sorted.html#post850274

Reactions: Mike R.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Not sure what is the best but I brought one off of livingsocial.com and it works perfect. Best part it was $13 shipped.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
Like many here, Griffin Bluetrip. Works pretty well but I'm not audiophile. Brand new off ebay for $20 with free shipping.

OP's thread title confused me a bit at first; "surround plus package". I'm guessing he got the standard audio system that comes in the 981 S. As Schuy pointed out, CDR w/ Sound Package Plus. I have this on my '15 CS as well. I was expecting much worse but it's not too bad IMO. I will say that my speakers rattle a bit. Doesn't sound like they are very well secured in the doors.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Hi guys,

Ok, have base 2015 CS on the way, The CS comes with the one step up audio, a sound plus 225 watt package w/ blue tooh fro phone only, and I guess I need an adapter tp plug into the glve box outlet? I have I phone 4S.

What one works best? I assume there are hard wire versions that run wires out of glove box and plugs into phone, offering, if i understand, an improvement in audio quality? (this is a question I am hoping can be confirmed).

I would prefer a wireless that was reliable and simple to use, if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks, Dave

Dave:

Your car with CDR Plus, will have Universal Audio Interface as part of the option. You can plug your iPhone in to it (in the console pocket, I think) and play music from your phone.

But here's another way... Get that old iPhone out of the drawer, delete all the photos and other media, then load it with tunes. Set it on "Airplane Mode", go in to "Settings" and disable everything you can, then plug it into the Universal Audio Interface....and just leave it in the car. It'll charge whenever you start the car and you can select or deselect it as an audio source. Your tunes will show up on the screen. I just leave mine in Random or Juke Box mode and use the arrow keys when I want to skip a song. Sound quality is excellent.

I would not go shopping until you've worked with this.

Also, I'd just pair your phone to the car (dealer will do it for you when you pick up the car) with Bluetooth and keep the phone in your pocket. When you get in the car, it will pair up automatically with your phone and your address book will be accessible on the screen in the car. Also, incoming phone calls go like this:

1. Stereo shuts off and phone rings through the stereo speakers

2. You can Answer or Ignore on the car screen with one button.

3. You talk through a microphone hidden in the dash or in the roof of the car. Just talk normally. They'll hear you but you may want to close windows.

4. When you're done, you can push a button or wait for the other party to hang up.

5. When call is disconnected, stereo resumes where it left off.

Flawless! and your phone stays in your pocket.

:cheers:

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't get it, doesn't the OP have CDR+ and that does have Bluetooth...
Hi all and thanks for the feed back, I apologize for a poor explanation.

as I understand it, the base audio on the 2015 CS is sound system plus. This offers bluetooth ONLY for phone call,s NO music or pod casts etc. If I understand correctly that leave several options:

1 a cable to my phone to the aux port in glove box.
2. a memory stick with music (?).
3. a Blue tooth adapter that will plug into my aux outlet for power and the communication via the aux input jack.

# 3 is the direction I am thinking. I do not want another phone in the glve box to load music on.

Dave

·
Vendor
6,506 Posts
Well then all you need is to read referenced BT thread.

You'll also need a mount for your phone! There is no good place for a phone in the cabin.

EDIT: And there is no cubbie for sunglasses either :)

·
Registered
371 Posts
The blue tooth adapter and T-Designs phone mount work pretty well. Its not a slick as the itegrated PCM but does the job.

I bought both of these a couple of months before the car came.
With the bluetooth adapter make sure that you turn the volume up on the phone.

Hi all and thanks for the feed back, I apologize for a poor explanation.

as I understand it, the base audio on the 2015 CS is sound system plus. This offers bluetooth ONLY for phone call,s NO music or pod casts etc. If I understand correctly that leave several options:

1 a cable to my phone to the aux port in glove box.
2. a memory stick with music (?).
3. a Blue tooth adapter that will plug into my aux outlet for power and the communication via the aux input jack.

# 3 is the direction I am thinking. I do not want another phone in the glve box to load music on.

Dave

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have T-Designs iphone holder, BlueTrip and a short jumper cable in the glove box.
It's seemless and works very well.
Concert sound with the top down is counter productive cost wise.
I stream my tunes in the background and run WAZE in the foreground.
WAZE interrupts the audio for Police or road hazards and the iphone works normally with the in car speakers, microphone and touch display.
Saves $5K!-Richard

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
I have T-Designs iphone holder, BlueTrip and a short jumper cable in the glove box.
It's seemless and works very well.
Concert sound with the top down is counter productive cost wise.
I stream my tunes in the background and run WAZE in the foreground.
WAZE interrupts the audio for Police or road hazards and the iphone works normally with the in car speakers, microphone and touch display.
Saves $5K!-Richard
Richard and friends:

"Save's $5K"... Nothing wrong with that unless you're in the middle of nowhere with your car and need real GPS instead of cell-based GPS. I also love the convenience of leaving my phone in my pocket when I get in and out.

I'm a bit of a luddite with some of this stuff. Like to wait until things become a little more mainstream so I don't waste half my life trying to get them working. I bought a wireless setup for my MC helmet and never used it, for instance.

This sounds pretty doable though, I must say. The idea of playing navigation through the stereo's speakers hadn't occurred to me.

However, I do now use iPhone's GPS, without plugging in to stereo, when I rent a car in a strange city rather than renting a GPS from the car rental place. Found that the Chevy Cruze makes a good rental car because iPhone (with case-mate iPhone protector) can rest in the framed area on the dash where the tiny and most of the time useless LED screen is on that car. The Ford Fusion, conversely, is all curves and swoops on the dash and can't hold my phone very well at all. Nice as the Fusion looks, I'll pick the Cruze from now on.

:Cheers:

·
Registered
785 Posts
Richard and friends:

"Save's $5K"... Nothing wrong with that unless you're in the middle of nowhere with your car and need real GPS instead of cell-based GPS. I also love the convenience of leaving my phone in my pocket when I get in and out.

I'm a bit of a luddite with some of this stuff. Like to wait until things become a little more mainstream so I don't waste half my life trying to get them working. I bought a wireless setup for my MC helmet and never used it, for instance.

This sounds pretty doable though, I must say. The idea of playing navigation through the stereo's speakers hadn't occurred to me.

However, I do now use iPhone's GPS, without plugging in to stereo, when I rent a car in a strange city rather than renting a GPS from the car rental place. Found that the Chevy Cruze makes a good rental car because iPhone (with case-mate iPhone protector) can rest in the framed area on the dash where the tiny and most of the time useless LED screen is on that car. The Ford Fusion, conversely, is all curves and swoops on the dash and can't hold my phone very well at all. Nice as the Fusion looks, I'll pick the Cruze from now on.

:Cheers:
You need to understand the technology and what you are Posting about.
Apple iPhone 6 uses a combination of Assisted GPS and GLONASS.
GLONASS is the Russian version of US GPS and Assisted GPS is from WIKI,
"Standalone/self-ruling GPS units depend solely on radio indicators from satellites. A-GPS develops that by likewise using cell tower data to enhance unwavering quality and precision when in poor satellite signal conditions. In exceptionally poor signal conditions, for example, in urban territories, satellite signs may endure multipath propagation where signals skip off structures, or are weakened by barometrical conditions, dividers, or tree spread. Some standalone GPS route gadgets, when utilized within poor conditions, will be unable to fix a position because of satellite sign fracture and must hold up for a finer satellite indicator. A GPS unit may require as long as 12.5 minutes (the time needed to download the GPS almanac and ephemerides) to resolve the problem and be able to provide a correct location.[SUP][2][/SUP]
An assisted GPS system can address these problems by using data available from a network. Utilizing this system can come at a cost to the user. For billing purposes, network providers often count this as a data access, which can cost money depending on the plan.[SUP][3][/SUP]
To be more precise, "A-GPS" features are mostly dependent on an internet network and/or connection to an ISP (or CNP, in the case of CP/mobile-phone device linked to a Cellular Network Provider data service). A mobile (CellPhone/SmartPhone) device featured with "A-GPS" (no additional "S-GPS"/Standalone-GPS feature to be selected as alternative, or there is no "Hybrid GPS" as a complete A-GPS/S-GPS hybrid features in one device) can work only when there is an internet link/connection to an ISP/CNP - it is useless in areas with no coverage of internet link (or no BTS towers nearby, in the case on CNP service coverage area) to connect to those A-GPS servers (that are usually provided by CNPs). On the contrary, a "S-GPS" (including "Dedicated GPS") device/feature requires no connection to internet/network to obtain GPS data since it connects directly to GPS satellites swarming overhead in Low Earth Orbit (LEO)."
So there is no "cell phone based GPS, GPS is GPS and the Iphone 6 uses a system enhanced over a stand alone GPS system which tunrs out to be faster and many times better. There is no area on Earth that I know of that is NOT covered by GPS which the iPhone stiil provides.
I also love the convienece of having the lastest technology at my finger tips such as WAZE which offers much more than any built in GPS unit in a vehicle. Not to mention my tunes all in one 64GB package. I do almost 100% of my computer work from an iPhone6 and iPad Air, banking(did I Mention depositing checks from an iDevice?), shopping, monitoring, Medical ID, Medical Data and Tests available, the list is almost endless. All in one device that travels with me, no inconveince to me!
-Richard

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
You need to understand the technology and what you are Posting about.
Apple iPhone 6 uses a combination of Assisted GPS and GLONASS.
GLONASS is the Russian version of US GPS and Assisted GPS is from WIKI,
"Standalone/self-ruling GPS units depend solely on radio indicators from satellites. A-GPS develops that by likewise using cell tower data to enhance unwavering quality and precision when in poor satellite signal conditions. In exceptionally poor signal conditions, for example, in urban territories, satellite signs may endure multipath propagation where signals skip off structures, or are weakened by barometrical conditions, dividers, or tree spread. Some standalone GPS route gadgets, when utilized within poor conditions, will be unable to fix a position because of satellite sign fracture and must hold up for a finer satellite indicator. A GPS unit may require as long as 12.5 minutes (the time needed to download the GPS almanac and ephemerides) to resolve the problem and be able to provide a correct location.[SUP][2][/SUP]
An assisted GPS system can address these problems by using data available from a network. Utilizing this system can come at a cost to the user. For billing purposes, network providers often count this as a data access, which can cost money depending on the plan.[SUP][3][/SUP]
To be more precise, "A-GPS" features are mostly dependent on an internet network and/or connection to an ISP (or CNP, in the case of CP/mobile-phone device linked to a Cellular Network Provider data service). A mobile (CellPhone/SmartPhone) device featured with "A-GPS" (no additional "S-GPS"/Standalone-GPS feature to be selected as alternative, or there is no "Hybrid GPS" as a complete A-GPS/S-GPS hybrid features in one device) can work only when there is an internet link/connection to an ISP/CNP - it is useless in areas with no coverage of internet link (or no BTS towers nearby, in the case on CNP service coverage area) to connect to those A-GPS servers (that are usually provided by CNPs). On the contrary, a "S-GPS" (including "Dedicated GPS") device/feature requires no connection to internet/network to obtain GPS data since it connects directly to GPS satellites swarming overhead in Low Earth Orbit (LEO)."
So there is no "cell phone based GPS, GPS is GPS and the Iphone 6 uses a system enhanced over a stand alone GPS system which tunrs out to be faster and many times better. There is no area on Earth that I know of that is NOT covered by GPS which the iPhone stiil provides.
I also love the convienece of having the lastest technology at my finger tips such as WAZE which offers much more than any built in GPS unit in a vehicle. Not to mention my tunes all in one 64GB package. I do almost 100% of my computer work from an iPhone6 and iPad Air, banking(did I Mention depositing checks from an iDevice?), shopping, monitoring, Medical ID, Medical Data and Tests available, the list is almost endless. All in one device that travels with me, no inconveince to me!
-Richard
Richard:

See, this is exactly what I am not into... 1st, I don't have an iPhone 6. 2nd, WAAAY too much information. Good to know that an iPhone 6 can work in the boonies. I didn't know that.

I got the WAZE app. I really think it's a monumental waste of time. Do I really need to know all that stuff? No. Do I really need WAZE to know every move I make? NO!

BTW, I said "Cell-Based GPS", meaning cell tower based GPS, which uses signal strength and positions of nearby cell towers to triangulate a position. Great in the city, not so great out on the continent.

I've used a Garmin Zumo in downtown areas (Indy) and experienced the fractured signal problems you describe above. I think the glass sided buildings created the problem. iPhone would be better there. Never have that with my Gen 1 Cayman system, however. It uses something a little more complicated than the Zumo, I think. They sure make it sound that way in the manual! I have my issues with it, like no update discs available anymore and stone-age graphics, but it works well for me most of the time.

Also really don't need medical tests without professional interpretation. Wouldn't want that on a phone anyway. Don't like to do banking on phones or shopping. When you get hacked or lose the phone, you'll understand why. Not saying these uses don't have promise, but they are not ready for me to trust them yet...and we really don't know. You first!

Not looking to play my music on the same box as I use for calls. The reason is, battery life and ability to just leave the phone in my pocket around town. A used iPhone can hold a lot of music and can stay in the car. You get a bit better signal through the wire than through bluetooth. I like that.

Someday, cars will show the video from your phone right in the dash. That would be great for GPS...probably bad for drivers who like gaming!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
Richard:

See, this is exactly what I am not into... 1st, I don't have an iPhone 6. 2nd, WAAAY too much information. Good to know that an iPhone 6 can work in the boonies. I didn't know that.

I got the WAZE app. I really think it's a monumental waste of time. Do I really need to know all that stuff? No. Do I really need WAZE to know every move I make? NO!

BTW, I said "Cell-Based GPS", meaning cell tower based GPS, which uses signal strength and positions of nearby cell towers to triangulate a position. Great in the city, not so great out on the continent.

I've used a Garmin Zumo in downtown areas (Indy) and experienced the fractured signal problems you describe above. I think the glass sided buildings created the problem. iPhone would be better there. Never have that with my Gen 1 Cayman system, however. It uses something a little more complicated than the Zumo, I think. They sure make it sound that way in the manual! I have my issues with it, like no update discs available anymore and stone-age graphics, but it works well for me most of the time.

Also really don't need medical tests without professional interpretation. Wouldn't want that on a phone anyway. Don't like to do banking on phones or shopping. When you get hacked or lose the phone, you'll understand why. Not saying these uses don't have promise, but they are not ready for me to trust them yet...and we really don't know. You first!

Not looking to play my music on the same box as I use for calls. The reason is, battery life and ability to just leave the phone in my pocket around town. A used iPhone can hold a lot of music and can stay in the car. You get a bit better signal through the wire than through bluetooth. I like that.

Someday, cars will show the video from your phone right in the dash. That would be great for GPS...probably bad for drivers who like gaming!!!

A little information, as to Medical,the iPhone stores your Medical Data and that is available to Emergency Personnel without them having to know your Pass Code. I also can reference my Test Data to allow any new or emergency physician to know baseline condition.
Banking, I use Chase, recently Chase closed thier Drive In Windows, now you have the option of the ATM outside or Park and come into the Lobby for physical banking. 95% of my banking is electronic and the few checks I recieve can be photographed and deposited by iphone!
So I never enter a bank anymore.
As to getting hacked or lost, I don't know exactly what you mean by hacked as the encription protocols are industry standard 128 bit.
If the iphone is lost you can remotely erase the iphone. I've been using computers for decades now for electronic purchases and financial and have experienced zero problems.
Battery life, I have a simple DC iPhone cord that plugs into the 12 v dc jack in the passenger compartment and then into the iphone, no problem.
There is no difference in signal strength with Digital that makes a difference with the transmitted information, unlike analog you either have a signal or you do not, the information conveyed is the same either by wire or wireless(Bluetooth).
I realize that as an Engineer with a long history of usage and management of computer systems, I probably have an advantage so hopefully my explanations of some of your misconcpetions will be of use to you in the future.
I'm 70 years old so in my case the generation gap has not yet 'kicked in'.
I study each and every advance in digital usage and clearly map out for myself when to take advanatge of the technology from both a cost and security perspective. Hope my explanations help!-Richard

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
A little information, as to Medical,the iPhone stores your Medical Data and that is available to Emergency Personnel without them having to know your Pass Code. I also can reference my Test Data to allow any new or emergency physician to know baseline condition.
Banking, I use Chase, recently Chase closed thier Drive In Windows, now you have the option of the ATM outside or Park and come into the Lobby for physical banking. 95% of my banking is electronic and the few checks I recieve can be photographed and deposited by iphone!
So I never enter a bank anymore.
As to getting hacked or lost, I don't know exactly what you mean by hacked as the encription protocols are industry standard 128 bit.
If the iphone is lost you can remotely erase the iphone. I've been using computers for decades now for electronic purchases and financial and have experienced zero problems.
Battery life, I have a simple DC iPhone cord that plugs into the 12 v dc jack in the passenger compartment and then into the iphone, no problem.
There is no difference in signal strength with Digital that makes a difference with the transmitted information, unlike analog you either have a signal or you do not, the information conveyed is the same either by wire or wireless(Bluetooth).
I realize that as an Engineer with a long history of usage and management of computer systems, I probably have an advantage so hopefully my explanations of some of your misconcpetions will be of use to you in the future.
I'm 70 years old so in my case the generation gap has not yet 'kicked in'.
I study each and every advance in digital usage and clearly map out for myself when to take advanatge of the technology from both a cost and security perspective. Hope my explanations help!-Richard
Rich:

Glad you've managed to find the time to master all this gizmology. Sounds like you were in the gizmo biz. Huge advantage there. I'm in the physical making of things at a small business level. Get too deep in that stuff and it sucks you time and money and distracts you.

Like I said, I like leaving my phone in my pocket. I have a car charger. I don't use it unless things are bad or I'm on a very long trip. My luddite '06 CS has a Bose/PCM with a Dension Gateway 5000. It's only got the iPod player hooked up. Everything is in the front trunk, so no plugging in my iPhone to the glove box.

My Audi is more up to date. It will charge if I plug it in to the dock cord in the console of my Audi, but that means I'm taking it out of my pocket! So instead, I plug another old iPhone in there (put on Airplane Mode) and just play tunes with it. My bluetooth works for the phone beautifully from my pocket.

Both cars have navigation, so I don't need to use the iPhone's nav.

Used iPhones are FREE to me as I had a drawer of them and also some old iPods, which have more storage. When you hard-wire one of those, it just stays there and you're done. I like that.

If you say there's no additional compression or loss to bluetooth, I won't argue. You're the engineer...

...and finally, I've found someone older than me on the internet! Yea!!! I didn't start with computers until 8" floppy drives that held 256K of info. One drive for the program and one for data. I was the guy who got my company to buy it and it paid for itself, unlike most computer purchases of that era. I bought it for a purpose, to run a specific task, mail order sales, for a specific product that we had waaay too much of. We sold it all without adding another soul to our payroll. When it was over, we shut down the operation and never used that thing again. Near the end of our use of it, we bought an add-on 5meg hard drive for it. Never got it to work and couldn't really conceive of how it was supposed to work...It weight 85 lbs and made a lot of heat and fan noises.

I never used punch cards but worked for a company with a Burroughs system that still had a punch card department. Their "computer building" was in same town as HQ. Remote plants had to order reports, which were mailed. I envied the folks working there. They dressed casually and looked way smarter than the rest of us. Probably better paid too. Those were the days!

Anyway, maybe my next Cayman won't have navigation and I'll try things your way. For now, I'm getting around pretty well.

Love Mexico Blue, btw....Not so sure about PDK though. ;>

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Late to this thread but a few observations:
-Waze: lots of functionality including directions, but I find the important ones I use most are 1) the IDing traffic problems before you get into them
and 2) Police location reports which seem to b accurate enough that I no longer use my dectector much and police camera locations in cities that I don't travel in often.
-Spotify--as a source of streaming music from your phone, I enjoy this more than Pandora or iHeart; create you own playlist of individual songs or albums and let it rip--relatively few commercials and songs of similar genre.

·
Premium Member
3,492 Posts
Late to this thread but a few observations:
-Waze: lots of functionality including directions, but I find the important ones I use most are 1) the IDing traffic problems before you get into them
and 2) Police location reports which seem to b accurate enough that I no longer use my dectector much and police camera locations in cities that I don't travel in often.
-Spotify--as a source of streaming music from your phone, I enjoy this more than Pandora or iHeart; create you own playlist of individual songs or albums and let it rip--relatively few commercials and songs of similar genre.
Mike:

Sorry, you lost me at "functionality". That probably is an actual word by now. Doesn't stop me from detesting it. It's a sales-word. Whenever I hear it, I feel like the bum's rush to buy something is soon coming.

We have traffic reports on the radio here. Biggest waste of air space I've ever heard. If you change your route even once a year while commuting because of that broadcast, I'd be very surprised. So there's a jam ahead. What'll you do about it? Slow down when the guy in front of you slows down, same as me. In the meantime, they're filling my head with useless information about other roads and things that don't concern me. After a while, that filtering mechanism in my head gets tired and I start taking all this cr-p in. Not a good lifestyle!

I want driving my car to be an intuitive, analog experience. (My guitar amps use vacuum tubes.) Love my '06 CS partly because it's a "period piece" on the cusp of the digital era of the motorcar and there are still whispers of the analog on it. I even like my stone-aged 4-color GPS. Wish they made newer discs for it.

I've got 8 or 9 DAYS worth of collected road music, which is what I like to listen to (and actually play). That's loaded on iPods and old phones. NO commercials. I play them on "Random" and it keeps me happy. Use the arrow keys on the stereo to skip something I'm not in the mood for.

I really do not like satellite radio. Some of the programming (Deep Tracks etc) is amazing but I think the signal quality is awful. Hissy and compressed, so I don't subscribe to it. Have had 2 or 3 new cars with it and have let the subscriptions expire. I've tried a couple of these streaming apps too. Not much better for me....and they have commercials. I have WXRT, one of the best FM stations in the country, at the right time of day...used to be all the time, but they got bought and cost-cut. Now, it's hit or miss. If I'm willing to put up with commercials, I'll put that on. It sounds better to my ears than satellite.

I've been living without commercials for a long time. Have TiVo for zooming through the TV commercials and have my recorded music, all paid for, and a lot purchased in CD form directly from the artists at clubs I've visited, with no commercials. I watch Netflix...no commercials...Get where I'm coming from?

Call me crazy, but I'm not wanting to invest a week of my life on all this app tech so my car-driving experience is reduced to settings on my phone. I don't need or want police location reports. I don't need police camera locations. I have a clean driving record and am a high performance driving instructor and ride 100+hp BMW motorcycles cross country. I know what going fast is about and I keep it in its rightful place. I like tunes while driving/riding but I really am happy doing it this way.

Still think WAZE is a WAZED of time (Sorry, it was there begging)...WAZE answers questions that I never asked. I have played with it and decided it wasn't of sufficient benefit to my life to warrant becoming an WAZE enthusiast. Like having a HAM radio in your car. The car disappears and you're operating a 4 wheeled radio. That's why so many of them are old Mercurys. Great for them. Not for me. To put things in perspective, I'm private. I joined Facebook but don't have friends. WAZE seems a bit too intrusive.

I'm quite possibly wrong about all of this. You probably are right... I just don't give a flip and try to keep digitalism in it's place in my life.

I noticed long ago that there are two kinds of new tech in cars. There's the tech that forces you to pay attention to it and understand nuance of how its brain works...makes you put on your programming hat. I don't like that kind. Distracting, glitchy and not ready for prime-time...(me).

...and there's new tech that quietly and secretly does it's job so you can drive, listen, go about your business better, cheaper and more reliably. This second kind is the stuff I embrace.

Love Direct Injection (there should be an easy way to clean the intake valves, though), Superchargers, Variocam, Electronic Ignition, Separate coils and knock sensors for each cylinder, Extra on-demand oil pumps to assure that you never pump air into your engine's bearings at track days. (Gen2 and later Cayman/Boxster)

PASM, Magnetic Ride Suspension (GM tech that is truly impressive), Auto Climate Control (when it works properly, although the very best climate control system ever conceived is the three round knobs on 90's BMWs. One knob was fan speed, one was temp, one was air direction. All were variable and mixable and the temp was held thermostatically to the place you set it. It just didn't have numbers on the wheel. You could fine-tune this thing without looking. It had a separate wheel on the center vent that allowed you to add fresh air to the upper vents without affecting the temp settings...Brilliant!) So much better than the manual heat controller on the Cayman, which uses a little LED way down at the bottom of the console to tell you where the heat and fans are set and there is just a switch-like thing to move up or down and no tactile feedback for position.

OEM LED lighting (better light, longer life, lower power use), Defeat-able Engine Stop/Start (if you haven't experienced a good one, you won't believe me, but it's great to have the car really still and not burning gas at long lights. If you hold the brake lightly, engine stays lit. There is no "ring-gear" starter to wear out. The starter uses the flywheel as a rotor so no moving parts and re-starting is instant) Bluetooth for phone calls because it works so seamlessly, iPods for in-car/on-bike music...(again, seamless if you leave the iPod/old iPhone with the vehicle out of sight), Heated Seats, Heated Steering Wheels (not for my sports car, but great for street cruisers), Cruise Control (active and otherwise but feel that all active systems should give you the option to go to the old way....It's better for some driving.), Rear View Cameras for parking and backing, lane changing feature on turn signals...(where you move the lever a little and get 3 blinks), power steering, power assisted brakes, ABS (newer is better), ZF's 8-speed automatic trans (better acceleration and economy for street machines and it works really well), PDK? Not for me, but it's the best out there and an engineering marvel. Unfortunately, it solves a problem that isn't a problem for me. For me, shifting is a joy and one that I don't want to give up for the sake of a lap time that won't count for anything anyway. Synthetic oils, Surround-sound, Electronic noise cancelling and plenty of other stuff is better than OK with me.

BTW, a hidden cost on Active Cruise is camera alignment. It has to be perfect. Had some paint work done on a front plastic Audi nose (clipped the edge of my lift pulling it in one day). The cruise was not functional when I got the car back from the body shop. I had to bring it to Audi for $650 worth of 4-wheel alignment and special camera alignment too with a special fixture they use on it. I use and like Active Cruise for 2-lane roads when I'm stuck behind slow guys. I set it at 10 over the limit and just leave it on. It slows down for me and keeps an interval. Drives me less nuts. It's a terrible pain on multi-lane highways though. I wouldn't buy it for a Porsche.

Do not like I-Drive, Hate contemporary BMW turn signals, Aftermarket stereo heads that don't integrate well to the car (They look cheesy and distract from driving the car when they glitch. Apologies to those who have spent a fortune adding on hi-fi for their Caymans) , Voice instructions to computers in the car (In theory, this should be a real great thing, but in reality, voice recognition isn't perfect...my wife can't even understand me sometimes...and I really get distracted and annoyed having to repeat myself to an uncaring female voice over and over while trying to drive. I feel like I'm on a help line trying to get Windows to work!

Electronic Lane Guidance (unreliable, distracting and annoying, requires 100% perfect painted lines on the road to work reliably. If there's a gap in the paint, it steers you into the ditch. "Grabs the wheel" when you change lanes to avoid a collision or do anything that it thinks is "wrong"

...Much of this well-meaning tech is not ready for me. I'm not putting myself out for technology. Let technology come to me. If it works really well, I'll buy into it. If not, I shut it off.

I don't want to spend my life dorking with Apps. I think I became this way when I stopped using Windows laptops and went over to Apple. My life became so easy. I wasn't spending an hour everyday on updates and bugs and reboots. I wasn't kicking the computer on the side just so to make it do what I want. Apple may not have the all the "functionality" of Windows, but if you stick with basics it just works, every time. That's how I want all my stuff to work.

More New Stuff I Really Do Not Like:,

Automatic braking and pre-braking "Audi Pre-Sense" etc. (ups the brake sensitivity when it thinks you might want to panic stop...Hate it!...Gently squeezes the brakes when there's rain to get the water off your brake discs... WTF? Who cares? Give me brakes that allow me to feel what's going on with them and I'll do the rest, thankyouverymuch.) In high performance driving class, they teach you that brakes work much better when you allow weight transfer to happen before you press really hard on the pedal. If you just smash them down, the front wheels skid because there's not enough weight on them yet. Well, guess what this "pre-sense" does? It makes it almost impossible to do a threshold braking maneuver. Instead you "jam on the brakes" and hope ABS will somehow save you. I like high-threshold ABS, but I want to control when I mash the pedal.

Blind-Spot Lights on the Side-View Mirrors (why put them THERE? Put them in the heads-up display or front and center on the dash so you can see them without turning your head. If you've already turned your head to look at the mirror, you don't need lights there distracting you from what's actually going on in the mirror.)

Night Vision on a screen on the dash to distract you from the actual view out the windshield (again, draws your attention away from "out there" and reenforces the video game mentality when driving...very bad idea and the opposite of safety. Make the real-world physics more obvious and you'll have less accidents. Insulate the driver from the reality of what's going on outside and you get more accidents. I've tried and have yet to find a practical use for this gimmick. I think it's only purpose is to sell cars.)

"Safety Features" like not being able to back up with the driver's door open (BMW X5), Auto-locking doors (Audi).

"Smart Keys" (I spend far more time trying to figure out where the Smart Key is than I did putting the key in the ignition before. When you combine push-button start/stop with auto engine stop, things get really confusing. Is the car really off or not? I've owned my tech-package equipped Audi for 2 years and it still messes with my head when I pull in the garage occasionally. I've had parking attendants leave my car on but not running for over 2 hours. I've had my car roll back in the garage because...long story, but it's really something that needs solving. No auto-stop with push button on/off smart-key unless something changes.)

All cruise controls should have stalks and all the stalks should be on the same side of the wheel in the same position...and work the same way. I have a Porsche with a right side stalk...Push the end to turn on (each time you start the car... Ugh.) Up to set/resume, forward to accel, back to decel,down to cancel. Simple enough, but not when my other car is an Audi with the stalk on the left and full forward is off, full back sets, up is accel, down is decel, forward is cancel. Both of these cars are made in the same country by the same parent company. One should not have to look down and study when one gets in a rental car and needs to use cruise control. It should be standardized, like turn signals.

Ah, turn signals...BMW tried to "improve" turn signal "functionality" and I will never forgive them for it. In short, I don't want to futz with that stuff when I get in a car, I want to DRIVE it. Basic controls should be standardized and they were for 25 years. I think cruise has become a basic control, especially in the age of climate change where we're at least occasionally trying to save a little fuel when we can.

I think I could approve of variable brake lights. If you decelerate without using the brakes, maybe two yellow lights in back (does Tesla do this?). If you press the brakes, 3 brake lights. If you press hard, 3 bright brake lights. If you're stopped in traffic with brake light on, brake lights dim so you're not blinding the guy behind you. Maybe a sensor could detect the reflected light from brakes and turn them down? Especially with these LED lights that are so GD bright. You do not want to be stopped for a train at night behind a new CTS. You gotta wear shades!

Don't like any stability management that over-reaches...Toyota products seem to do this universally...a good system can be a godsend but more is not better.

I think my objection to these phone-based things in the car is more about ergonomics than the actual "functionality" (Errp...) of the WAZE app. It's not ready for me.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts